Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for taking the time, Ian. I tossed a 500 GB 840 into my 2010 MBP 4 months ago.

If I were shopping for another SSD today, I'd buy the same one all over again, especially given the expected price drops.

I'm glad that the firmware worked out well for you.

I agree with what you're saying, if I was going to get another SSD today, I would buy the same one again. If money wasn't an issue, I would probably splurge on the 840 Pro (for the ego and better write speeds)

IAN...

BBKSoft

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
Hello Gang, I just wanted to "giveback" to the forums since I have been helped by so many people here. I just finished upgrading my firmware on my 256gig Samsung 840 SSD.

1) downloaded the "Mac OSX" ISO from Samsung
2) Used Disk Utility to burn it to a CD/DVD.
3) Rebooted and selected the newly burnt CD/DVD and followed the firmware upgrade procedure.
4) Firmware upgraded to DXT07B0Q and everything running great.
5) I also enabled Trim by using Chameleon SSD Optimizer. Super easy, and other good tweaks with this application.

I do have to mention that I tried for 3 hours to create a bootable USB Key with the Samsung firmware ISO, yet I never was able to get Disk Utility to do it :(

Has anyone else managed to upgrade their firmware on their Samsung 840 SSD? How did you do it?

IAN... :)

In my case, my SSD is not recognised.
What is your MBP model ? (mid-2012) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.