Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Well i'm really excited, somewhat nervous. I JUST placed the order for the $1649 , Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified Refurbished. It is a Rev. B as well! Now the graphics card will be fine right? Do I have any reason to want to upgrade anytime in the immediate future??

It looks like I got the last one of the $1649 for today, althought another one might be up tomorrow. SO in the end, I spent a tad bit more than I would have liked, but I figure this will last me a long time to come. MY VERY FIRST MAC!!!! WHOOHOO!

I appreciate all your guys advice in helping me make my Mac selection. Now I will try to return the favor as I get used to this monster!

Now if it can just ship before the 7-10 days :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nice stuff. Are you getting more RAM too? Don't get it form Apple, try one of the links at the top of this page instead (under the menu bar thing). :)

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
dwd3885 said:
Well i'm really excited, somewhat nervous. I JUST placed the order for the $1649 , Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified Refurbished. It is a Rev. B as well! Now the graphics card will be fine right? Do I have any reason to want to upgrade anytime in the immediate future??

It looks like I got the last one of the $1649 for today, althought another one might be up tomorrow. SO in the end, I spent a tad bit more than I would have liked, but I figure this will last me a long time to come. MY VERY FIRST MAC!!!! WHOOHOO!

I appreciate all your guys advice in helping me make my Mac selection. Now I will try to return the favor as I get used to this monster!

Now if it can just ship before the 7-10 days :)

Congrats on your first mac! Unless you are going to be gaming the graphics card should be fine.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
I've been looking at that exact one. Just don't have enough money until mid Sept. I hope they'll still have some available then. Congrats and good luck with your Mac, I know you'll love it.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
mad jew said:
Nice stuff. Are you getting more RAM too? Don't get it form Apple, try one of the links at the top of this page instead (under the menu bar thing). :)

I have two gigs from my pc that I want to move over to the Mac. They are two 1gig sticks. Can I do that? Or does a mac need specific RAM?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe, they're interchangeable but Macs are generally slightly more picky about what their RAM is like. What were the specifications of the PC or even better, of the RAM?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
mad jew said:
Nice work. I'm pretty sure they'll work. About 99% sure. :)

i'll try them out when i get the mac. if not, i'll just sell em on ebay ;-)

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I just got that exact PM via Apple refurb store, love it. Mine came in about 3 weeks ago, DOA :-( But within 2 weeks after that they sent me a "new" one. And this time it has 1gb of ram and a 9600 w/128mb vid ram.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
After you have it up and running, I suggest adding a gig of ram to make things fly.

mishi

macrumors regular
May 22, 2004
Australia
better Graphics card needed

yeah, thats a nice machine, but i think PB will outpefrom (or almost) it in any grapichs intensive game such as"halo" or mabey Doom 3 for example. when you have such an A grade machine,a 5200 is going to bottleneck it. i would suggest a 9600 or a 9700 if you dont want to spend too much. you will notice a large difference in performance of games.

correct me if im wrong :confused: :eek: :D :cool:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Congradulations (and thanks for the thanks in your other thread--just relaying my own experiences).

As far as speed goes that RAM should be fine, but as said Macs are pretty picky about RAM being within spec, and I know I've heard of issues specifically using Corsair's "value" line of RAM in G5s (they apparently didn't include support for a particular timing that is necessary). This was a couple years back, however (when I was considering higher-end Corsair for my own Rev. A G5), so this may not be true any more. It's easy enough to find out, though.

The 5200 is a pretty lame graphics card, but if you're not gaming (heck, just as long as you're not doing any serious gaming) you'll be fine for now. Just save up and get a nice video card when you can afford it. Going top of the line will get you bragging rights for about a week and keep you in good shape for a while, but if you don't game the previous gen high end works very well--for example, you can get pulled Apple 9800s now for under $180 (probably less on eBay), which nets you a solid card for less than half the price of an X800.

cruxed

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2005
Hong Kong
Do you guys think that Kingston RAM will fit into my Mac Mini?

You guys mention macs being picky about RAM, and recommend Crucial, but the problem is that I can't get crucial RAM from Hong Kong.

Are there other well-known brands that sell RAM compatatible with mac that you guys are 100% sure it'll work?

Thanks!

Boris

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Very Nice Deal. I have the Same Computer pretty much, except for the Graphics Card (ATI RAdeon 9600). But whatever u do don't buy macsales ram for it, it fried my system for a couple days. Stick with Crucial for RAM upgrades.

thelastknowngod

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
i did the same thing. get a high end mac for the first one. right now im working on a dual 2.5 g5 with 2.5gb ram, 560gb total storage, 9800 pro with the 23in apple display. absolutely amazing machine. i couldnt imagine working with anything else. congrats and enjoy!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You should be VERY happy with your choice.

Hopefully you won't have the same problem that JoeCool had to endure, but as you can see it all worked out great for him .

Just be sure to test run your system "as shipped" before adding ANYTHING.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Congrats. As for the GPU--what are you using it for? It may be more than fast enough. If you game, upgrade it sometime--but more RAM should come first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.