Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Ok, so I earned an ipod at a one offer, eight friend referal site. It's my choice of a black or white 60gb ipod 5g.

At present, however, I have a 15gb 3g ipod which suits my needs very well. I listen to music and podcasts, and I have about 3gb left on it. I'd like to see the album art, be able to show people my photos, and watch patrick norton and alex albrechts ugly faces instead of just listening to the podcasts. maybe even get some firefly and family guy in on public transport. and the refreshed battery life would be nice (i get ~3 hours now). but overall, i'm very happy with my old faithful ipod, and to be honest I like the 4 button + wheel arraingment better than the clickwheel.

heres the problem. if i get a 5g ipod i feel like i'll be dissapointed with the current screen size for the video viewing that i will begin. how does it work for you who have one? i cant help but think that apple used this small screen because they wanted to conserve parts and production equipment from the 4g ipods, and they will replace the 5g with a 6g with a big pretty psp style screen because of consumer demand. i think they'd be dumb to open a movie store using the small (and 4:3) screen. i think they'll move to a bigger screen before the 'ipod standard video format' is really established, and before they move further into the video market.

heres the question. should i order a 5g ipod now, or wait a few months and watch the rumor sites and keep my 3g. (FYI: the site i'm on has been around for a long time and is independantly verified as legit).

[edit]i dont want to break any MR rules so if anyone wants to know about the free sites or the referal trading site I used, pm me and ill talk about it elsewhere[/edit]

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Just get one now if you want one. I had a 3g and always told myself that I would upgrade when they release an iPod that will allow video. This was around the time the 4g was announced. So I bought a brand new one and sold my old 3g. I don't see how they are going to change the design much, I'm sure they will plug in abunch of new features and such like bluetooth or something but if all you are going to do is listen to music I say just pull the trigger.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
august is not too far away for me to wait. when i started the free stuff thing i expected it to take 6 months or a year but it took less than a month (i found out about a referal trading site and that definately speeds up the process). i was planning on replacing my 3g with whatever is out when i got done getting referals, but now thats way sooner than expected and i had in my head that my next ipod would have a widescreen and it would really change my lifestyle, but i cant see the small 5g screen doing that.

i wanna hear from someone whos had both a 3g and 5g and tell me what their upgrade experience was.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
How could they be preserving things from the 4g? The 5G is wider (width-wise) Thinner (depth wise) and it has a bigger screen. Also, I think the wheel is different. How are they conserving parts?

lonegeek

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Seriously Get the iPod... A 6g ipod is aways away. I doubt that the referal site will allow you to wait upwards of a year to order your product...

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I say order it and if you dont like it send it to me. I would be more then happy to take it off your hands!!

Seriously, the 6G wont be coming out for a while and you might as well get one now. I you dont think it is worth or you dont like it i am sure someone here on MR or ebay would be willing to buy it.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
make the most of your free 5G you will see how much better it is than your trusty 3g..

Shadow

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
i decided

heres what i'll do. i'll get the 5g and keep it in the box. then i'll talk my friend into letting me borrow her 5g for a few days to see how i like the video on it. i'll use that experience to decide whether to sell it and keep the ~$350 for the 6g or keep and use the 5g.

now should i get black or white?

hubristol

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
chaos86 said:
i wanna hear from someone whos had both a 3g and 5g and tell me what their upgrade experience was.

I upgraded from the 3G to the 5G but then later sold the 5G to fund a computer purchase. I actually didn't like the iPod video as much as I thought I would. The only advantage over the iPod color was a larger screen in my opinion. I might be part of the minority, but I actually didn't like how thin the 5G was. I don't know if it's because i have slightly bigger hands or what, but I just didn't find the grip comfortable. Instead of having more thickness to comfortable hold on to, it felt like i was holding 1/4 a deck of playing cards which has that "cutting into your hand" feeling after a while. I also didn't like that they moved the hold switch to the left side. It's probably not that big of a deal for most people but I was annoyed about having to consciously overly extend my finger to flick the switch with my right hand since i'm right handed.

Unless you plan on using the video feature (which I honestly find to be unnecessary IMO) or really desire that extra half inch or screen real estate, I would probably just sell the iPod video on eBay or something and buy something else (maybe a hardware upgrade or gear for whatever your hobbies are?) with the money. Even if i had the dough I would just get a refurbed ipod color ( i can't remember, is the iPod photo the only other version with color screen? ) and put the extra cash saved in the bank.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have a 15 3G an the 60 5G. The new one is awesome.

As for the video screen, I can easily watch a TV show on the plane or while commuting (as a passenger) with no worries at all. Is it as nice as a larger screen? of course, not, but it is very viewable.

I think going from a 3G to 5G you will be very happy.

The odds that Apple will update in January are slim, that would be unlike them. More like late summer or next fall. I remember waiting FOREVER for my 3G.

I am not sure how the referral sites work, but I would say take the product now, Who knows if they will even be around in 8 months, and if they go under, you have got no iPods at all.

chaos86 said:
august is not too far away for me to wait. when i started the free stuff thing i expected it to take 6 months or a year but it took less than a month (i found out about a referal trading site and that definately speeds up the process). i was planning on replacing my 3g with whatever is out when i got done getting referals, but now thats way sooner than expected and i had in my head that my next ipod would have a widescreen and it would really change my lifestyle, but i cant see the small 5g screen doing that.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
thx everyone, especially seamuskrat and hubristol, even though your two reviews were totally contradicting each other.

c

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
hubristol said:
I also didn't like that they moved the hold switch to the left side. It's probably not that big of a deal for most people but I was annoyed about having to consciously overly extend my finger to flick the switch with my right hand since i'm right handed.

I hate were the hold switch is on the 4G. I had a mini before it and the switch was on the left side. I found it much easier to reach the one on the left sife then the right. I am also right handed.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
adk said:
How could they be preserving things from the 4g? The 5G is wider (width-wise) Thinner (depth wise) and it has a bigger screen. Also, I think the wheel is different. How are they conserving parts?

The bigger screen fooled me as well, as I thought it was wider then the 4G, but it is the same exact width as the 4G. As I got interested trading up from my 4G to the 5G, I updated my Mactracker and looked up the widths of the two iPods. Exactly the same.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
kwajaln said:
Ummm, I would disagree with your use of the word earned but that's just me.

ok let me rephrase. i gathered 8 people willing to signup and complete an 'offer' at a certain free website if I would do the same for them on a different website. that took a bit of my time and work, and i will get an ipod from it. therefore my time and work earned me an ipod.

hubristol

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
chaos86 said:
thx everyone, especially seamuskrat and hubristol, even though your two reviews were totally contradicting each other.

c

The best thing to do would be to find a friend who has one or just go to the apple store and play around it to see how it suits you. If the ability to watch video and view photos is alluring to you then you'll probably love it. As for me, all I need is something that plays music and has a basic GUI to navigate tracks with. I loved that the screen was larger and in color but besides that I just didn't find anything else to really enjoy about it. The only reason I even upgraded was because my 3rd gen had a problem with its audio jack.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
go for it. it's essentially free, and would it really be that hard to gather 8 more people and do it again?

i vote black, but make sure you get an invisible shield!

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
asherman13 said:
go for it. it's essentially free, and would it really be that hard to gather 8 more people and do it again?
actually no, it wouldnt be so hard... this time took less than a month.

asherman13 said:
i vote black, but make sure you get an invisible shield!
I have one for my 3g and i'll never use an ipod (of mine) without one

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
It's an iPod, not a house mortgage. The rates don't change, and the features won't change much either. Take the 5th generation iPod, don't stress over something like this. It's an easy decision.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Why don't you just wait for a 9g iPod...point is...there's always something better around the corner...it won't be updated for a while...just get it if you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.