Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Um... well there is a camera and microphone on there. And GPS. I think that's probably more useful to Big Brother than your finger prints.

The point being it's already too late if you're really worried about it.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I feel that attempting to make this fingerprint scanner issue an issue won't be an issue.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Um... well there is a camera and microphone on there. And GPS. I think that's probably more useful to Big Brother than your finger prints.

The point being it's already too late if you're really worried about it.

I just saw a story today explaining how if you allow location services with your camera (which I believe is the default setting) the exact location of any photo you've taken on your phone can be extracted from the image by anyone.

So you take a selfie in your bathroom and post it online, anyone with an easily acquired program can get a map to your house by right-clicking and extracting the embedded location data. People apparently do this with photos they find online just for fun.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I remember when everyone was freaked out because the 5 was rumored to have a bigger screen. People were saying they would never buy it.

Everyone needs to keeps things in perspective. The world will not end.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I just saw a story today explaining how if you allow location services with your camera (which I believe is the default setting) the exact location of any photo you've taken on your phone can be extracted from the image by anyone.

So you take a selfie in your bathroom and post it online, anyone with an easily acquired program can get a map to your house by right-clicking and extracting the embedded location data. People apparently do this with photos they find online just for fun.

Its in the metadata. Depending on how its uploaded will determine if that information is there. I believe Facebook for example strips that data off. But here is a picture I took with my iPhone then used the stock Android gallery app to display the info.

tape5y4e.jpg

Computer can easily do the same thing. Its pinpoint accurate. Even tells the house number so you don't need to mess with those pesky GPS coordinates.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
That's the only one I know off hand because I happened to buy one recently. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more in the near future.

That's just what I mean. If Big Brother is spying on everyone then each person is just a grain of sand on the beach. Yeah, you can be seen, but you're part of such a big crowd that you're still effectively anonymous unless BB has some reason to look at you in particular, and as I said, the vast majority of people aren't that important.

That's the attitude of: I haven't done anything wrong, so whatever, I don't care that they invade my privacy.

--- what I am asking myself is: What gives them the right to invade anyones privacy in the first place?
As soon as you fall in "disgrace" with your government they WILL have something in their hands against you. At least that is what they hope for.

the land of the free... :rolleyes:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
If the NSA gets away with what they did then it sets a precedent for WORSE things later...Thats all they are doing...Setting up something else. Who gives a crap if Obama knows how often I call pizza hut?

What I believe most people worry about, with regard to the NSA spying thing, is what ELSE they may try a few years from now. If Apple implements the fingerprint like they do SIRI then I would not be happy. In other words, my fingerprint is now stored in a database that can be seized by the NSA as well. NO THANKS NSA!

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
they have MY fingerprints already anyway.... and not just one finger. THey take them every time I fly in the states. Including my picture. It's pretty excessive... I know I don't HAVE to go into the country, but when I do I guess they can do whatever they want =P A woman once yelled at my for not knowing which hotel I was going to sleep at that evening.

After 9/11 the country was (understandable, don't get me wrong) so shocked, that the government could do almost everything under the name of fighting terrorism. And they hope they can sell the NSA under that name as well.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
People are already aware of the mass spying done by the NSA and other governments. I know that I don't want apple to hold my biometric data. But I don't want Samsung to hold it ether.

I feel that many people are in the same boat and will jump ship if they are to be fingerprinted If they want to unlock their phone.

A. Fingerprints are taken for loads of things already nowadays; my employer has my fingerprints on file so I can scan into work every day, my local library took my fingerprints years ago so I could borrow books, and my university had them in case I forgot my login details.

B. Any info apple store is usually encrypted to the teeth.

C. Apple wouldn't, nor would they have to hand over biometric data to the government, so any info held wouldn't end up in the spying hands of the intelligence community anyway.

D. I'm sure the whole idea of a fingerprint scanner means your finger actually has to be there for the biometric information to be of any use.

I'm not too worried, I don't ever remember being invited to join al Qaeda, so if MI6 want my fingerprints and phone call details they can carry on.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
"C" is incorrect. If NSA decides they "need" it and Apple has it, Apple will be handing it over.

And again, it's what they try later that is the problem...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That's the attitude of: I haven't done anything wrong, so whatever, I don't care that they invade my privacy.

--- what I am asking myself is: What gives them the right to invade anyones privacy in the first place?
As soon as you fall in "disgrace" with your government they WILL have something in their hands against you. At least that is what they hope for.

the land of the free... :rolleyes:

You Americans (I'm Canadian, by the way) seem to worry about this a lot, as if you all think that you'll inevitably be at war with your own government. I suspect it's because you had to fight a war to gain your independence in the first place, and then had a civil war later. Most Canadians don't worry about "Big Brother" nearly as much.

I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You Americans (I'm Canadian, by the way) seem to worry about this a lot, as if you all think that you'll inevitably be at war with your own government. I suspect it's because you had to fight a war to gain your independence in the first place, and then had a civil war later. Most Canadians don't worry about "Big Brother" nearly as much.

Maybe that's it. Maybe its the media. Maybe its the government saying one thing then doing another (constantly). Maybe its our observations on other countries where the people's rights have been whittled away.

Regardless its becoming something I notice more and more, at least here in the states.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I don't think it's so much the loss of privacy IMO, I think it's more the lack of faith that the right thing will be done with that private information.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
To be honest, a fingerprint scanner to unlock your phone is WAY LESS secure than a code. I can take my wife's iPhone and unlock it while she's sleeping with just using her hand (don't need to since I know her code, but you get the point).

Really, a fingerprint scanner is worse than a code from a security perspective.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
To be honest, a fingerprint scanner to unlock your phone is WAY LESS secure than a code. I can take my wife's iPhone and unlock it while she's sleeping with just using her hand (don't need to since I know her code, but you get the point).

well some people believe that it will be combined with a code or possibly require face detection as well.

I know android has offered an option like that for awhile.

The difference is that your fingerprint is unique, a digit code not so much.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Don't use that feature. Problem solved.

----------

Or you could watch her enter her pass code and she doesn't even need to be around.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
[I feel that a fingerprint scanner will be a massive mistake]
I feel that many people are in the same boat and will jump ship if they are to be fingerprinted If they want to unlock their phone.

Unfortunately, too many irrational conclusions are based upon feelings.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
As long as the fingerprint scanner is optional then I'm fine with it being on my phone. Depending on how well it works, that might not always be the case however.
I'm fine too. I have to think if Apple is putting in a fingerprint reader or some other type of biometric solution, that they are making damn sure it will work for most everyone, as to avoid fail-esque publicity they got from Maps. My father has about a 25% success rate with his Lenovo fingerprint reader. iPhone users and pundits won't be kind to Apple for something like that.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
People are already aware of the mass spying done by the NSA and other governments. I know that I don't want apple to hold my biometric data.

A lot of assumptions going on.

1. that the scanner is real
2. that the data will be held anywhere but inside the phone (just like the alleged location tracking data)
3. that use, if it is some kind of security thing, will be mandatory

and so on

----------

Or you could watch her enter her pass code and she doesn't even need to be around.

check the smudges and deduce the order. Often not that hard to sort out. if I see smudges on 1, 5, 9, 0 it's a good shot that my boyfriend is using 0915 which is the date we met.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
People are already aware of the mass spying done by the NSA and other governments. I know that I don't want apple to hold my biometric data. But I don't want Samsung to hold it ether.

The NSA has always been something of an open secret. Many people didn't care before, just as many won't continue to care.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

If you're worried about that, I highly doubt that they will take away the option of just using a PIN. A fingerprint scan is just meant to be more convenient.

As a rule, I try to avoid sleeping around anyone I don't trust not to take advantage of me anyway.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I don't want apple to hold my biometric data.

Hint 1. If you aren't a criminal, don't flatter yourself. Apple, Samsung, the NSA, etc. don't give a crap about your stupid fingerprint and aren't going to do squat with it. Turn off the TV and open your mind.

Hint 2. If you are a criminal, and you buy a phone with a fingerprint scanner, you're already a brain donor, and your lack of common sense will land you in jail regardless of a fingerprint scanner. Not that a fingerprint scanner on your phone would likely ever lead the police to you anyway.

What you REALLY need to worry about is that FaceTime camera, because you know the NSA pays Apple to take a photo of you every time you pick up your phone, right?

Last edited:

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011

Somehow I think americans don't worry enough... I am german by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.