Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Fantastic work there. It is a very nice machine. I think once more people start to show up with these the hate for them will cease.
Congrats on your new toy.

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!
I want one, but if I buy it, it has to be a damn present for my wife:(

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Fantastic work there. It is a very nice machine. I think once more people start to show up with these the hate for them will cease.
Congrats on your new toy.

I've had more reaction to it than my iPhone in public. Nothing negative. Everyone finds it cool. If there are a significant amount of haters, they don't display it lol.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
2243544123_2920cbd649_b.jpg

Jacqui83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Kuwait
You're lucky, I've been putting off ordering one online and I'll be leaving the states soon but sadly enough I can't find any for sale here in Missouri... I tried West County and they didn't know when they're getting the units for sale and St Louis well they got some and sold before I had a chance to get them.

I want a Macbook Air and trying to find one that'll arrive within the next 10 days is hard!

Where did you get yours?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
You're lucky, I've been putting off ordering one online and I'll be leaving the states soon but sadly enough I can't find any for sale here in Missouri... I tried West County and they didn't know when they're getting the units for sale and St Louis well they got some and sold before I had a chance to get them.

I want a Macbook Air and trying to find one that'll arrive within the next 10 days is hard!

Where did you get yours?

My local apple store here in Atlanta.

Jacqui83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Kuwait
I hope the St Louis and West County stores get some in stock or even the University Bookstore before the 12th of Feb :confused:

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I hope the St Louis and West County stores get some in stock or even the University Bookstore before the 12th of Feb :confused:

Majority of the stores aren't getting many in, and some are getting in like 10-20, crazy. The ones that aren't getting many seem to still deny they have any. Like the one I got it from. Make a personal shopper appt at all your local stores lol, mark it with MBA. Lets you connect with the staff better, more likely to reserve you one I think.

Jacqui83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Kuwait
Will try to do that.. By the way what do you think of it so far after using it for I guess more than 24 hours? Do you love it?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Will try to do that.. By the way what do you think of it so far after using it for I guess more than 24 hours? Do you love it?

Gosh in about 8 hours I will have already had it 48 hours. I absolutely love it.
Everything I could want in a laptop. Now it's an accessory for me wherever I am. Laptops have never been really portable enough for me to not think twice sometimes if I want to bring it here or there. Theres no second thoughts now. Being able to clasp onto it with one hand and have phone in the other hand for an hour is really nice too. Not tied down to anything with the MBA. I don't have a fear of breaking it either. It feels so durable and sturdy. It has a very futuristic scifi feel to it which I really like. It is still boggling my mind how I am carrying around a full featured simple and efficient to use gorgeous computer that is so portable. There was this scifi movie I watched with disposable cell phones. The futuristic look and ease reminds me a lot of the MBA. Its so portable to me its like I picked up an electronic newspaper at a stand

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Could you please try this sample of Transformers in 1080p with your new Air and let me know if it's watchable (smooth/jerky)?

http://rapidshare.com/files/65877715/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/65877592/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part2.rar

Please use VLC to play the file above.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

THANKS A MILLION MATE!!!!!!

I've watched 720p mkv very easily. No slowdowns to open the file or anything during playback. I'll try the 1080p mkv too and let you know.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I just got back from the Apple Store in Norfolk, VA. They apparantley had many Airs. After I left, they were minus one. This is one sweet machine. I loooove the screen. :)

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
The 1080p mkv did not play smoothly.
I'm guessing there is a possibility if theres a player that can adjust things while playing. Sort of like how a lets say blu-ray player with a 1080p file on it's hd will play smoothly on a 720p monitor.

I guess I can see if theres a better player out there that can play the file smoothly?

Jacqui83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Kuwait
I got it! Yaaaay!!! I called a couple of stores and found it was available but they were all two hours away or more. I found out that the University bookstore got them last night and I rushed over and grabbed the 1.6Ghz/80GB model and I'm in love with it!

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
The 1080p mkv did not play smoothly.
I'm guessing there is a possibility if theres a player that can adjust things while playing. Sort of like how a lets say blu-ray player with a 1080p file on it's hd will play smoothly on a 720p monitor.

I guess I can see if theres a better player out there that can play the file smoothly?

720p plays smoothly on mine. I didn't try the 1080p, but that didn't play too well on my 17" Dell laptop either. Overall, the Macbook Air is as fast as my Inspiron 1520 or faster, and boots a few seconds faster, too.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I got it! Yaaaay!!! I called a couple of stores and found it was available but they were all two hours away or more. I found out that the University bookstore got them last night and I rushed over and grabbed the 1.6Ghz/80GB model and I'm in love with it!

Congrats!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
What is your impression of the SSD? Have you also tried the HD version? Really curious about this. Benchmarks are one thing, subjective experience is perhaps more important.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
What is your impression of the SSD? Have you also tried the HD version? Really curious about this. Benchmarks are one thing, subjective experience is perhaps more important.

Yes, I have had a lot of hands on out of store experience with the HDD version.

SSD is really quite a big step up in my opinion. Its cooler to the touch after extended use. Its a lot faster for my OCD switching between things constantly for work. For the elements they say SSD is not a real improvement for, I don't notice since what really matters for me is app launches and general stuff like that. Battery power I think is one of the most noticeable things apart from the speed of the drive. It really does extend it a whole lot in the battery department. Under my regular work day I have ranged from just over 5 hours of battery life to the 6 range.

I also have a few theories about the fan issue, wobbling, and battery issues people claim. I think their all bugs (besides wobbling) that are in some way related to how everything software and hardware works together. I think the HDD version at this point is more prone to the speedy fan issue, wobbling and battery charging bug.
I think the SSD option is worth the extra money for most people.

Godiva

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
go to Galleria st louis

I just got one from Galleria store at 11am, super drive also in stock. and best buy has the base model.

Jacqui83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Kuwait
Thanks Godiva, I might be passing by soon and getting the Superdrive and Ethernet USB Thing soon!

I am loving the Macbook Air!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.