Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplottable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
Today when I was taking the bottom plate off of my Macbook (for the first time ever) I noticed a canadian quarter sealed in plastic above the optical drive. I've never taken the bottom plate off before, it's sealed in completely, and I can't see a possible way for it to have gotten in there post manufacture. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hi,
Today when I was taking the bottom plate off of my Macbook (for the first time ever) I noticed a canadian quarter sealed in plastic above the optical drive. I've never taken the bottom plate off before, it's sealed in completely, and I can't see a possible way for it to have gotten in there post manufacture. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Take quarter out.

Close up bottom plate.

Wait 24 hours.

Open bottom plate.

If there is another quarter in there, it means the tooth fairy has visited, but is in early Alzheimers dementia.

OK...real question...is is possible that it was a jury rig by an assembler to keep something in place? Sounds nutsy...but possible?

unplottable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
I am Canadian.
Voila!
(Yeah, there's water there...stinking cat knocked water from a nightstand onto the bed/macbook, it's sitting in rice...)

Attachments

• 20130806_193107.jpg
    20130806_193107.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,959
Reactions: WRONG

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I am Canadian.
Voila!
(Yeah, there's water there...stinking cat knocked water from a nightstand onto the bed/macbook, it's sitting in rice...)

That's pretty crazy. Hope the computer is fine. Dang cat!

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
This is so crazy! what age is it and when did you buy it? Did you buy it from an Apple store or a reseller, or did you buy it used?

unplottable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
It's a 2011 macbook pro, which I bought at an apple store in Montreal in the fall of '11. It's blowing my mind a bit. At least it's something weird to focus on aside from the likelihood of my computer being dead.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Thinking.. thinking.. bingo, the coin looks like it could have been pushed in through the cd slot, and with general use has slipped out the bottom. could have shorted something if it weren't for the plastic cover.

Reactions: runner77

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Somewhere in china a little kid is snickering about putting a Canadian quarter in one of the laptops he built.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Thinking.. thinking.. bingo, the coin looks like it could have been pushed in through the cd slot, and with general use has slipped out the bottom. could have shorted something if it weren't for the plastic cover.

This. Let me guess, you have kids or know someone with some? They've been feeding your superdrive with coins it seems. I somehow can't imagine a Chinese assembly line worker putting a Canadian quarter in there.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010

Not likely since there is no space for the quarter to work itself out.
Maybe it was a refurbished unit sold off as "new," and while doing a repair a technician left a quarter behind.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
This is like the thumb in the chilli at Wendys!

Except less lawsuit-y.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This must have been put there on purpose. It's like a physical eater egg. I wonder if there's a message on the other side of the coin.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I had the same thing happen to a desktop PC. However my experianced was a dead machine.
When I took it apart to check the power supply I found pennys in the case.
Long Story Short, - My two year old was using my PC as a Piggy Bank!

Do you have kids?

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
It's clearly a plot by organized crime to smuggle Canadian quarters out of the country. Pretty ingenious, I must say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.