Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Hi guys,

I have a iPhone 4 and will be getting a iPhone 5S as soon as my contract ends in December.

In the meantime I would like to use iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.

I have jailbreak on it and it's on 6.1.1 or 6.1.2.

I don't care about the jailbreak features and want to use the Apple iOS 7 but I don't know the correct way in doing this and not screw up my iPhone.

I just want to keep all my contacts, texts, email, pictures, music.

If someone could guide me with an easy way that would be great and appreciated.

Thank you.

Abba 701

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
I think all you have to do is just go to settings-general-software update and just install and update it.If this is not right please correct me.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
You should be able to update OTA like everyone else. Jailbreak will be overwritten and you'll keep all your settings. All you have to do after restarting the phone with the new iOS is to set up your ID and location services again and everything (but Cydia) will be there.

Didz81

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Take a backup via iTunes on your computer, then completely restore and put iOS 7 on, then choose the backup in iTunes as you update to iOS 7. That way, all your contacts and pictures should be found on the phone after the update.

NinjaDuck

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I believe that you can't do an OTA update if you're jailbroken. *I'm not 100% sure.*

If I were you, I'd restore iOS7 in iTunes.
Remember, backup your device before updating!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a iPhone 4 and will be getting a iPhone 5S as soon as my contract ends in December.

In the meantime I would like to use iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.

I have jailbreak on it and it's on 6.1.1 or 6.1.2.

I don't care about the jailbreak features and want to use the Apple iOS 7 but I don't know the correct way in doing this and not screw up my iPhone.

I just want to keep all my contacts, texts, email, pictures, music.

If someone could guide me with an easy way that would be great and appreciated.

Thank you.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. My iPhone 4 was jailbroken on 6.1.2 I think, and I updated to iOS 7 via OTA. Actually I had to upgraded to the latest version of iOS 6 first (I think it was 6.1.3 or 6.1.4?). Then when that was done, the iOS 7 update showed available, and I did that.

All of this was done OTA. No iTunes at all. You can do an iCloud backup first, of course, just in case.

As for performance... it sucked. The animations and overall experience were pretty laggy. I was already set to trade it in, but I just wanted to see how it ran compared to my iPhone 5 and it was like night and day. iPhone 5 was much smoother. Now I have the 5s and it's even better.

However, some people seem to think iOS 7 is just fine on an iPhone 4. I think that's only because they haven't seen it on a 5 or 5s though ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.