Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acoustica

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Washington, USA
I'm an owner of a new PowerBook and it looks like I received my first dead pixel! :( As if it isn't depressing enough, it moves! It was crawling around the left hand side of my screen today, sometimes it would stretch out to two or three pixels and slither around like a snake, really creepy! What exactly can I do to fix this? Do I call Apple or do I now have a pet pixel snake everywhere I go? :confused:

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
how to fix

rub it out. Thats right, press lightly and rub it out, then clean off the finger print or use a cloth under your finger when you do it. Yes, this is how dead pixels are fixed on laptops.

Lightly, too hard and you can break your laptops screen.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Joking: LOL can't help but laugh after reading the title of the thread.

Serious: Does it "move" upon switching windows around it (i.e. if a blank text document is around the area of the pixel, and then you minimize the document to bring up your background, is that the only time it happens), or does the "dancing" happen at any unpredictable moment? If so, then if your Powerbook is under warranty (or AppleCare), then call up AppleCare (or bring your Powerbook over to the nearest Apple Store) for check-up.

Re: The dead pixel removal technique above my post

The rubbing doesn't always work. For instance, I've had a stuck pixel that used to be red, now green, for at least a year, and rubbing has never worked for me. But it might work for others...

T

thejazzman10

wow, thats funny
sorry about that, but you should keep it! imagine, your very own pixel pet!!
that would be THE best :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jknight8907 said:
If using your finger doesn't work, try a PDA stylus. Just gently 'massage' the pixels. It can take a while but be patient.

Er, I think you guys are taking the whole "love your Mac" idea a little too far. ;)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It could be worse...your special other might have a dancing zit on one cheek...
icon_lol.gif
icon_eek.gif

Acoustica

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Washington, USA
Well I've tried massaging the pixel for about a minute but to no avail, it hasn't moved for a few hours though, so now I'm beginning to wonder. It's in a real nasty spot too, very noticable. :(

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
If you see it again, bring it into Apple. If it moves around and grows bigger and smaller, then it probably isn't a dead pixel. For instance, if it expands to a 3x3 space, then collapses to a 1x1 space, then the other 8 pixels that used to be part of your pixel pet aren't really dead, are they?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I have ONE green hot/dead pixel and Sharp, like Apple, won't replace my monitor unless there is more than a certain number.

This pixel is about 3 inches away from the left - just where it becomes really annoying, distracting you from any DVD! It's not fair :mad:

Messaging it does not help, but KingCobra just said his changed colour? Can this happen? I'd like it to stop being GREEN, and be just black dead! That way I wont see it watching dvd's.

oh, EDIT: Merf - My Holy Water, direct from Lourdes in south France (if you don't know what/where Lourdes is, then your lacking!). That doesn't work either.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Well, make sure you have someone reading the bible out loud while throwing holy water on the powerbook shouting "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!"

If that doesn't work, bring it to Apple. Maybe they have some sort of special Mac exorcist.

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
The Power of Prayer

AliensAreFuzzy said:
Well, make sure you have someone reading the bible out loud while throwing holy water on the powerbook shouting "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!"

If that doesn't work, bring it to Apple. Maybe they have some sort of special Mac exorcist.

Why not The Macintosh Bible and "The power of Steve compels you!" as a chant?

MacExorcist would be a cool name for a program to solve system ills that may befall a computer these days, especially that pesky one where the iMac LCD screen does a few 360-degree spins on its own.

Cheers!

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
andrewm said:
Why not The Macintosh Bible and "The power of Steve compels you!" as a chant?

MacExorcist would be a cool name for a program to solve system ills that may befall a computer these days, especially that pesky one where the iMac LCD screen does a few 360-degree spins on its own.

Cheers!

You're right. But you forgot the problem of the iMac CD tray throwing out CDs as projectiles

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Oh, make sure that you don't watch The Ring, otherwise Samara may come out and kill you 7 days after watching the DVD on your PB! Beware of any rings that appear on your PB, they could be signs.
–Chase

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
Use the holy pen stylus

*that annoying monty pithon and holy grail voice we all love*
You shall bringith the holy Palm Pilot Stylus, then thou shall massage the moving pixel with it gentely. Being too soft, shall be a waist of time. Being to hard, shall ruin thou screen further.
If it doesn't work, well take it into a store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.