Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callawayno1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
if the new Iphone in months is coming with 2 gb ram what would that do for me that i cant do with the 6 out now , i am thinking of buying one now, i mean do all the apps that is in store right now suddenly run better and faster when getting more ram or is it just for multitasking purpose , if i can run all apps out there now already without problems or is there problems with apps out now cuase of the ram of 1 gb `? you get the Point`? and is the ios not going to be safe for like 3 years ahead with 1 gb `?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
if the new Iphone in months is coming with 2 gb ram what would that do for me that i cant do with the 6 out now , i am thinking of buying one now, i mean do all the apps that is in store right now suddenly run better and faster when getting more ram or is it just for multitasking purpose , if i can run all apps out there now already without problems or is there problems with apps out now cuase of the ram of 1 gb `? you get the Point`? and is the ios not going to be safe for like 3 years ahead with 1 gb `?

If you need a phone now, buy a 6 or a 6 plus and be happy. The new phone isn't due for a few months yet (October likely) and 1GB is still plenty for a phone. The iPad Air 2 has 2GB because the iPad is more limited by the RAM it has and there are features in iOS 9 that the iPad Air 2 can use such as split screen which require the 2GB. I personally don't think the iPhone screen will be big enough to handle split screen apps but if you're really worried then wait a few more months. I bought the iPhone 6plus back when it came out and it was a huge improvement over my iPhone 4 and I expect to use it for four years like I did with the 4 so there's still plenty of life in a new iPhone 6 but if you can wait until the new phone comes out you might even be able to get a good deal on a 6 then as it will be old stock.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
1GB will run all the current apps just fine, and should for at least another year. More than likely some games will start taking advantage of the increased RAM, like Don't Starve only runs on 1GB RAM devices. The extra memory will be better for multitasking purposes, but if you don't multitask a lot, or just lightly multitask you should be okay. I would wait though, just to see, unless you absolutely need one. You could at least save $100 on the current 6.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The extra 1gb of ram will mostly only help with multitasking and less Safari tab reloads. The A9 chip though will make things a bit snappier vs the A8 in the current 6. How much better is left to be seen once they announce the 6s.

I would honestly just wait for the 6s. As its only a couple months away and the new 6s price will probably be the same price as the 6 today. (With the current 6 price dropping once the s comes out.)

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I strongly recommend waiting. 1GB is not plenty for a phone, let alone adequate.
Don't listen to this guy. If you had to ask what 2GB or RAM would do vs the current 1GB then you're not one who will notice a big difference anyway. The average user isn't going to be affected by this. I'm a heavy user and my device runs fine now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't listen to this guy. If you had to ask what 2GB or RAM would do vs the current 1GB then you're not one who will notice a big difference anyway. The average user isn't going to be affected by this. I'm a heavy user and my device runs fine now.
Or some might notice a difference simply not realizing that things could be somewhat better than what they experience now.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013

You're not really a heavy user. Or you have a different idea what that actually means.

To OP, I suggest waiting for the 6S. The one GB of ram is very detrimental to web browsing experience.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
You're not really a heavy user. Or you have a different idea what that actually means.

To OP, I suggest waiting for the 6S. The one GB of ram is very detrimental to web browsing experience.

That very much depends on what your web browsing habits are like. If you're opening multiple tabs at the same time, then you might have a problem with reloading, but if you're just browsing one site at a time, you're unlikely to have any problems.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

Right, because you have any idea how I use my iPhone.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
These discussions are always funny.

"1GB of RAM is plenty!"

"No, 1GB is totally inadequate!"

There's no right answer to how much RAM is necessary. Everyone uses their phone in different ways. What's the point of arguing over it? 1GB of RAM on a phone is a lot for many people, but there's also many people for whom 2GB still won't be enough.

Reactions: bhayes444

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
These discussions are always funny.

"1GB of RAM is plenty!"

"No, 1GB is totally inadequate!"

There's no right answer to how much RAM is necessary. Everyone uses their phone in different ways. What's the point of arguing over it? 1GB of RAM on a phone is a lot for many people, but there's also many people for whom 2GB still won't be enough.

What you're failing to take into account is that the majority of the RAM is consumed right away on a fresh boot. 1GB free memory would be a lot for most of us. But the reality is we haven't had so little usable RAM since the iPhone 3GS

Reactions: vanzantapple

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What you're failing to take into account is that the majority of the RAM is consumed right away on a fresh boot. 1GB free memory would be a lot for most of us. But the reality is we haven't had so little usable RAM since the iPhone 3GS

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying though. You're just explaining why it's not enough RAM for some people. That doesn't change the fact that it is enough for many. All I'm saying is that people keep insisting that their own usage and user experience is representative of everyone else's, which is silly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That has nothing to do with what I'm saying though. You're just explaining why it's not enough RAM for some people. That doesn't change the fact that it is enough for many. All I'm saying is that people keep insisting that their own usage and user experience is representative of everyone else's, which is silly.
At some point the RAM that's there by default still goes up as hardware and everything else progresses. It's likely 512 MB was enough (and maybe might still be enough) for quite a few people too when Apple switched to 1 GB, but that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't have moved up to 1 GB. Just as there are likely a lot of people that use their desktop computers to do some internet browsing and the like and perhaps don't even use more than a few GB of hard drive space, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense to have computers with such small drives (which aren't even really made anymore) on the market.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
At some point the RAM that's there by default still goes up as hardware and everything else progresses. It's likely 512 MB was enough (and maybe might still be enough) for quite a few people too when Apple switched to 1 GB, but that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't have moved up to 1 GB. Just as there are likely a lot of people that use their desktop computers to do some internet browsing and the like and perhaps don't even use more than a few GB of hard drive space, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense to have computers with such small drives (which aren't even really made anymore) on the market.

I never said that they shouldn't increase the RAM. All I said is that people should stop telling other people how much RAM they need.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never said that they shouldn't increase the RAM. All I said is that people should stop telling other people how much RAM they need.
Sure, but whether or not it's more than enough for some or not enough for others often still doesn't affect the simple progress forward (which at times can be quicker than what majority would need and other times slower).

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Sure, but whether or not it's more than enough for some or not enough for others often still doesn't affect the simple progress forward (which at times can be quicker than what majority would need and other times slower).

Again, never said that they shouldn't increase the RAM. At this point I'd say it's pretty much a certainty for the 6s. I'm just addressing the remarks of, "1GB is still plenty for a phone" and "1GB is not plenty for a phone, let alone adequate." I'm not talking about what Apple will or should do, or what the best move is for the future, I'm just saying that people can't make declarations about subjective user experiences, and then argue that THEIR experience is the definitive one.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
More ram is needed. I hate listening to apple music in my car and it defaulting back to the first song in my library when i get back in the car because the ram cached out the space being taken up by the music app. The worst is when it reboots the music app and my instacart app. It makes things hard to work with.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you ever notice an app or webpage reload even though you didnt close it having more RAM will help limit that. Its a problem that will always exist however getting it to the point that you never notice it is dependent on usage and the amount of RAM. In my opinion we are at the point that even lighter users notice it at time while heavy users notice its quite frequently.

The iPad Air 2 is a breath of fresh air (for me) compared to the Air 1. I rarely notice anything reload without intentionally trying to make it happen and even then I have to try pretty hard.

TheKevinFang

macrumors member
May 10, 2015
It's not really plenty, adequate is arguable, but no, 1GB of RAM is so 2014.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Any decent app in the app store will run fine with 1GB of RAM. If you like to open a bunch of tabs in Safari and expect them not to reload, then wait for the next phone.

Reactions: ABC5S

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Any decent app in the app store will run fine with 1GB of RAM. If you like to open a bunch of tabs in Safari and expect them not to reload, then wait for the next phone.

While true apps can/will run fine on 1gb of ram. However as iOS evolves over the years, certain features are now starting to be locked behind having 2gb of ram. As these features get more powerful so does the ram requirement. (Split screen on iPads is proof of this as it is only for iPad Air 2, which is the only iPad with 2gb ram)

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
To the people saying 1GB of RAM is fine, you do realize people tend to use their phones for 1-2 years or longer, right? Do you really think that 1GB of RAM will be fine years down the road when Apple starts optimizing it's OS and apps for devices with 2GB of RAM once they are released?

Reactions: Demo Kit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.