Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Woohoo, this is my first Mac ever, i'm REALLY excited about all of this! :)

I've been wanting to buy a Macbook pro for the last few weeks, but after considering the fact that is was more expensive, all the various user complaints (mostly about the heat, which I find not acceptable), the fact that portability was not THAT important to me, and after seeing that beautiful iMac in the display, I said "what the heck!".

Unfortunatly, I'll have to way a couple of days to get it shipped (and they killed me at the price... Israel is a bad place to buy an Apple computer...)

Regardless, I am VERY pleased. Hope I'd enjoy it as much as all of you! :)

Oded S.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Quick question: Can I buy a 1Gb crucial memory and have it added to the current 512MB and thus having a total of 1.5GB of RAM? or will the total be just 1GB of ram? I remember back in the SDRAM days, the memory cards had to be the same, or else you'd be forced down to the smallest quantity.

Thanks!

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
odedia said:
Quick question: Can I buy a 1Gb crucial memory and have it added to the current 512MB and thus having a total of 1.5GB of RAM? or will the total be just 1GB of ram? I remember back in the SDRAM days, the memory cards had to be the same, or else you'd be forced down to the smallest quantity.

Thanks!

Yes, you could add 1GB to the 512MB already there for a total of 1.5GB.

That's what I have on my iMac G5, and it runs very nice! Enjoy your iMac!

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
A 20" iMac Core Duo with 1.5GB of RAM will be awesome! Congratulations and best of luck with the new machine!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Congratulations. As you can see from another thread here, I´m exactly in the same position as you. I will order mine any day now. When I saw that screen in the shop next to the MBP, I was sold

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
Congratulations. The guides and forums here have helped me a lot since I've had my mini.

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I also just ordered a 20" iMac Core Duo. I got it refurbished from Apple for $1449. I also got a gig of RAM for $90. The system is for my parents. It is replacing a 500 mhz slotload iMac with 640 mb RAM. Talk about a step up. I ordered it today (Tuesday 3/28) and with free shipping it will be here on Friday. Needless to say, I'm thrilled!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hello again.
I just ordered a 20" iMac last night, can´t wait to get my hands on it. Lining in Norway it do tend to take awhile before one actually recive ones Mac.
I got the 256 grafics card, so that added a few days to my shippment.
Post your experience when it arrives

davori

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2006
new imac soon need some advice

I'm getting a new 20" iMac yey :) Im planning on getting the real deal, so the full 2gb and the 500gb hdd and the 256mb gfx card :) Anyone have anything i should know before i put up the extra money? Also does anybody know what virtual-pc will be like for the the intel chips (when it comes out?) will it emulate hardware as it did with the powerpcs or will it actually use the hardware? Im pretty into my games so really want to play games on my iMac but i dont want to install XP just yet before all the bugs and dodginess is sorted out :rolleyes: Ok thanks :)

Dav:D

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Yay, it always makes me so happy to hear about someone's first Mac. :)

davori said:
I'm getting a new 20" iMac yey :) Im planning on getting the real deal, so the full 2gb and the 500gb hdd and the 256mb gfx card :) Anyone have anything i should know before i put up the extra money? Also does anybody know what virtual-pc will be like for the the intel chips (when it comes out?) will it emulate hardware as it did with the powerpcs or will it actually use the hardware? Im pretty into my games so really want to play games on my iMac but i dont want to install XP just yet before all the bugs and dodginess is sorted out :rolleyes: Ok thanks :)

Dav:D

To my knowledge, VirtualPC isn't UB, and definitely won't be using x86.

Now that I think about it, I don't know how that works. If VirtualPC is running under Rosetta, and emulating x86 at the same time... better find a fallout shelter. :eek:

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
odedia said:
Woohoo, this is my first Mac ever, i'm REALLY excited about all of this! :)

I've been wanting to buy a Macbook pro for the last few weeks, but after considering the fact that is was more expensive, all the various user complaints (mostly about the heat, which I find not acceptable), the fact that portability was not THAT important to me, and after seeing that beautiful iMac in the display, I said "what the heck!".

Unfortunatly, I'll have to way a couple of days to get it shipped (and they killed me at the price... Israel is a bad place to buy an Apple computer...)

Regardless, I am VERY pleased. Hope I'd enjoy it as much as all of you! :)

Oded S.

I just got my 17" 2 days ago. It is the finest computer I have ever used, and the finest piece of consumer hardware I have ever owned bar none.

One small piece of advice. Make sure that you have at least a gigabyte of RAM in the iMac. My one complaint about Apple is that they never ship their computers with enough memory in them.

I met this guy at the Apple Store the other day who loved his MacBook Pro but complained about the spinning beachball and occasional slowdowns. Turns out that he was only using the stock 512 MB of RAM. I explained to him how OS X loves RAM and he bought another gig right there.. his computer should absolutely scream now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.