Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Hello Everyone,

Just bought FCE 2 and I couldn't be more excited! Bought it off Amazon for $259 flat. No tax or shipping. If you are thinking of buying, now might be the time. Just thought I'd spread the cheer a little ;).

I was wondering, for those of you who have FCE/FCP, if there are any neat little tips/tricks that I should know about. I've been editing using Premiere at school for a while and I was wondering if there was anything exclusive to FCE/FCP that Premiere couldn't do.

Thanks for your help,
JOD8FY

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
congrats! once i moved from avid MC to final cut pro HD, i was hesitant to change my regular work flow, but being able to customize the mapping of each key on the keyboard really helped me make the transition. now i love it!

since premiere pro wasn't developed for mac... i can't really tell you what features are different and which aren't. i did feel that the interface was more user friendly, and that the app was more stable then avid xpress pro. one of the coolest things thats probably in all of the video apps, is the media manager - where you can offline every frame of video that isn't associated with a sequence. its very useful when you have to clean up for space. if you had moved any of your media or cg in your project folder, then FCP asks where it is or looks for it if it cannot find it itself. the batch render que is also essential and a huge timesaver.

now i'm not sure whats missing in FCE2 from FCPHD, i'm assuming that alot of effects and formats aren't present. so here's a link for some cool shareware filters under $100 for both FCE and FCP!

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Thanks for the link and the info! Those filters look pretty neat.

Also, I was wondering, should I (see sig for specs) install FCE onto my PB's HD or my 7200 RPM External HD? Would I see a major speed difference?

Thanks,
JOD8FY

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
i dont know about that. leaving it on the internal startup disk sounds like the right thing to do. never really had experience with running apps off of an external. since you have an external though, its great for your storage. if you work off of your external at work or school, you can bring it home to work there as well. but since your running on premiere at school, you'll probably have to export your media as quicktime uncompressed. as for your specs - i used to run FCPHD off of a G4 450 with 400 memory at work. it was a pain to multitask. so you might want to (someday) max out your memory. here if you have a superdrive. you'll be suprised how often you'll need photoshop or after effects running in the background for quick changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.