Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I used to use my ipad 3, and it worked great, but it was almost too big for my desk. I tired my ipad mini this morning using my thumbs in portrait mode snd it worked like a dream! No keyboard needed. I now have my new note taking device for college! Stoked.

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
good news. i still use sound note app when taking notes, never hurts to have audio files.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I used to use my ipad 3, and it worked great, but it was almost too big for my desk. I tired my ipad mini this morning using my thumbs in portrait mode snd it worked like a dream! No keyboard needed. I now have my new note taking device for college! Stoked.

That sounds great, but I'd be concerned about the wear and tear on your thumbs if taking very many class notes. You may still want to look into a keyboard.

Glad you're enjoying your Mini.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
That sounds great, but I'd be concerned about the wear and tear on your thumbs if taking very many class notes. You may still want to look into a keyboard.

Glad you're enjoying your Mini.

I agree.

Although its viable to type with your thumbs on an ipad, I feel like having a bluetooth keyboard is way more efficient. For me, at least.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm currently using the regular ipad in class and I get by. Admittedly, most have macs and laptops in class but the ipad works for me.

A concern of mine is if the mini would be Inappropiate for class or work use. Well, not so much class use. But work. It's small and seems like it would be disrespectful to use in say a meeting, seeing as holding and using an ipad would be like speaking with someone who is using an iPhone during a meeting. I'm sure I'm overthinking it but still. Can't wait to pick my mini up after this class right now though. Don't know if I'd go to the length of getting a keyboard though.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I typed a ~900 word letter last night on my Mini in Daedalus Touch, using the split keyboard in portrait mode. It was great! and I can hold it up without feeling it in my wrists.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'm currently using the regular ipad in class and I get by. Admittedly, most have macs and laptops in class but the ipad works for me.

A concern of mine is if the mini would be Inappropiate for class or work use. Well, not so much class use. But work. It's small and seems like it would be disrespectful to use in say a meeting, seeing as holding and using an ipad would be like speaking with someone who is using an iPhone during a meeting. I'm sure I'm overthinking it but still. Can't wait to pick my mini up after this class right now though. Don't know if I'd go to the length of getting a keyboard though.

Times are changing. I've got a sticker on mine saying "I'm not being rude. I'm taking notes in Evernote." Evernote sells them on their site if you want one :)

I also pair mine with a keyboard in classes. In meetings, I feel like it is a little better to just have the iPad in my lap for handwritten notes, or on the table flat, because I don't want to put up a barrier between me and others. Most of the time, though, I prefer the keyboard.

The Mini would work fine, I am sure, but I prefer to have the larger screen size myself, and the retina display is wonderful.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Times are changing. I've got a sticker on mine saying "I'm not being rude. I'm taking notes in Evernote." Evernote sells them on their site if you want one :)

I also pair mine with a keyboard in classes. In meetings, I feel like it is a little better to just have the iPad in my lap for handwritten notes, or on the table flat, because I don't want to put up a barrier between me and others. Most of the time, though, I prefer the keyboard.

The Mini would work fine, I am sure, but I prefer to have the larger screen size myself, and the retina display is wonderful.

I love the larger screen on mine as well, including the retina display... But the truth is, the weight is killer for me. It's not that it's too heavy, it's just that the weight does become an issue when you use the device for 9+ hours a day, which explains why I'm switching to the mini ipad, and have gone with the 11inch Air as opposed to the Pro (of which I've used for the past 6 years).

As for the Evernote sticker, I love it! I'm gonna go on the site and go about how to order one now.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I love the larger screen on mine as well, including the retina display... But the truth is, the weight is killer for me. It's not that it's too heavy, it's just that the weight does become an issue when you use the device for 9+ hours a day, which explains why I'm switching to the mini ipad, and have gone with the 11inch Air as opposed to the Pro (of which I've used for the past 6 years).

As for the Evernote sticker, I love it! I'm gonna go on the site and go about how to order one now.

I don't hold the iPad much, so I've never felt like the weight is an issue. I have a bookstand (BookGem) for times when I want to just read. I used to use the bookstand back in the days of dead tree books, and it turns out it is even better with the iPad, because you don't have to readjust every time you turn a page.

I use the Incase Origami Workstation when I am typing. It is basically a case for the Apple keyboard that folds ingeniously into a stand for the iPad.

And, when I am writing, I put it on my lap. The weight is roughly equivalent (with keyboard) to an MBA 11". I have both. This morning I am working on the MBA, because I have some heavy lifting to do on the computer, but later this afternoon I will switch to the iPad.

I don't see how the iPad Mini would be an improvement for me, but that might be because of my use cases (I don't hold it so much).

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
been using the iPad mini to take notes on a ebook i'm reading and its super fast switching between your note taking app and the ebook. so seemless, and i find it just as fast typing on it in landscape mode as using thumbs. if it wasn't for the slow wifi speeds i'm getting with it, it would be perfect. going to the apple store today to get a replacement to try out.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I don't hold the iPad much, so I've never felt like the weight is an issue. I have a bookstand (BookGem) for times when I want to just read. I used to use the bookstand back in the days of dead tree books, and it turns out it is even better with the iPad, because you don't have to readjust every time you turn a page.

I use the Incase Origami Workstation when I am typing. It is basically a case for the Apple keyboard that folds ingeniously into a stand for the iPad.

And, when I am writing, I put it on my lap. The weight is roughly equivalent (with keyboard) to an MBA 11". I have both. This morning I am working on the MBA, because I have some heavy lifting to do on the computer, but later this afternoon I will switch to the iPad.

I don't see how the iPad Mini would be an improvement for me, but that might be because of my use cases (I don't hold it so much).

but see, that's the thing. I didn't hold the iPad much either when I had it, and my SO was talking about that over skype last night while I happily held my iPad mini for hours. That the iPad isn't heavy, it's just that it's always lying on something when he uses it.

BUT.. you know what? Part of that is because of the weight and because it's unwieldy. the iPad mini gives you plenty of screen space but is also a joy to hold. (a little big for my hands, but I'm a petite woman, and I don't mind it as the weight is low and I love having a lot of screen space.)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
but see, that's the thing. I didn't hold the iPad much either when I had it, and my SO was talking about that over skype last night while I happily held my iPad mini for hours. That the iPad isn't heavy, it's just that it's always lying on something when he uses it.

BUT.. you know what? Part of that is because of the weight and because it's unwieldy. the iPad mini gives you plenty of screen space but is also a joy to hold. (a little big for my hands, but I'm a petite woman, and I don't mind it as the weight is low and I love having a lot of screen space.)

Maybe so. I don't hold my N7 any more either. I don't hold paperbacks either :)
I guess I just prefer to have my hands free to do other things: typing, taking notes, eating, etc. I have no interest in holding these things unless I am standing on a crowded train or lying in bed.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Maybe so. I don't hold my N7 any more either. I don't hold paperbacks either :)
I guess I just prefer to have my hands free to do other things: typing, taking notes, eating, etc. I have no interest in holding these things unless I am standing on a crowded train or lying in bed.

Haha. Lying in bed describes a lot of my usage, sadly. Wow, that makes me sound lazy :)

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I typed a ~900 word letter last night on my Mini in Daedalus Touch, using the split keyboard in portrait mode. It was great! and I can hold it up without feeling it in my wrists.

I just discovered this split keyboard thing too. Makes the mini so much better!

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I just discovered this split keyboard thing too. Makes the mini so much better!

Yes, it is great. Sadly there are a few bugs associated with it in iOS 6. You might occasionally notice a horizontal black scrolling bar in the center of your screen or that text gets covered up by the split keyboard. Usually putting the keyboard back together and fiddling with it you can fix the issue. It's annoying but it wasn't fixed in 6.0.1.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Have any of you tried touch typing? I have been doing that for emails in landscape with the smart cover and it works great for me, much faster than thumb typing. Or do they not teach touch typing in school anymore?

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Have any of you tried touch typing? I have been doing that for emails in landscape with the smart cover and it works great for me, much faster than thumb typing. Or do they not teach touch typing in school anymore?

I tried but failed miserably. I need the response of physical keys to be able to touch type. Otherwise I have no idea where my fingers are at any point and what keys they might actually be hitting.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
After I type more than 20 words on any touch keyboard I always start asking - why do I torture myself? Did not they invent keyboard decades ago? This subject has been beat to death but still, it's obvious to any unbiased person that even netbook would be way more efficient tool to note taking (and everything else as far as studying is concerned) than any tablet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.