Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Michigan
So this is kind of crazy I was compelled to buy a new MacBook Pro 14 inch with the M3 max chip the day they released, which was Halloween if I recall. I got the new black, which is the first thing I came to not like as the fingerprints do show rather quickly no matter what I do.

My real reason for the switch was due to the fact I still have to log around Dell Windows, computer for work, even though I do 95% of my work on the Mac. I'm actually finding that I just love the size of the older 13 inch versus the new 14 inch body. Not to mention it's a half a pound lighter which adds up when you're logging to computer the thing is blazing fast.

The other big reason that's by was selling the 13 inch M2 with 24 GB ram one terabyte SSD for $1300 brand new! I got to tell you this thing flies so I lost nothing there. I can run acrobat Pro Photoshop with a number of browser windows open no hiccups at all. I just can't justify logging around the extra weight and size.I still like using the touch bar which I know puts me in the minority here. The only downside is being adapters for HDMI when I do BYOD presentations but that is not too big of an issue given that I have drawers full of them and I'll never use them for anything else and certainly can't sell or give them away!. Now it's time to unload a like new blazing fast computer.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
What I don't particularly understand here (despite this being a very common thing to do) is how you overshot on going with M3 Max, only to find that base model M2 was plenty of power.

The Max SoCs are really only particularly beneficial if (a) you are playing the half dozen of Apple Silicon only Mac games that are out there, (b) every single second counts and time is money (and therefore, saving minutes or even seconds here and there on renders, exports, builds, etc. is truly worth it), (c) who need more than 32GB of RAM, and are overkill for pretty much anyone else.

I know Apple is insanely great at marketing these things to make folks want to spend more, even if they don't need it (particularly when it comes to the word "Pro" and their making folks that don't need that power feel like it's their bare minimum). It still surprises me. Very few people using a Mac outside of it being their work-owned device and/or outside of heavy creative industries need anywhere near something as powerful as an M1 Max, let alone an M3 Max.

Reactions: mac4good84

ct1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Michigan
What I don't particularly understand here (despite this being a very common thing to do) is how you overshot on going with M3 Max, only to find that base model M2 was plenty of power.

The Max SoCs are really only particularly beneficial if (a) you are playing the half dozen of Apple Silicon only Mac games that are out there, (b) every single second counts and time is money (and therefore, saving minutes or even seconds here and there on renders, exports, builds, etc. is truly worth it), (c) who need more than 32GB of RAM, and are overkill for pretty much anyone else.

I know Apple is insanely great at marketing these things to make folks want to spend more, even if they don't need it (particularly when it comes to the word "Pro" and their making folks that don't need that power feel like it's their bare minimum). It still surprises me. Very few people using a Mac outside of it being their work-owned device and/or outside of heavy creative industries need anywhere near something as powerful as an M1 Max, let alone an M3 Max.
Well, because good sir I am an idiot.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

I would add a 4th category to your list of where the Mx Max Macs would be beneficial: People who may not be using the full 32+ GB of Ram yet, but want to future-proof their purchase because they anticipate needing that in the foreseeable future. In some ways I would argue that would be an even bigger consideration since you can't simply go buy a RAM upgrade for your Mac.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I would add a 4th category to your list of where the Mx Max Macs would be beneficial: People who may not be using the full 32+ GB of Ram yet, but want to future-proof their purchase because they anticipate needing that in the foreseeable future. In some ways I would argue that would be an even bigger consideration since you can't simply go buy a RAM upgrade for your Mac.
You can just upgrade the RAM when buying an Mx Pro MacBook. No need to go all the way to Max if you don’t have a real professional need for all that extra graphics horsepowe.

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
You can just upgrade the RAM when buying an Mx Pro MacBook. No need to go all the way to Max if you don’t have a real professional need for all that extra graphics horsepowe.
While this is true it there is often a minimal price difference between the lower & higher power CPU’s when upgrading the ram so why not choose the higher power option

Reactions: prospervic

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Last I checked, the difference was about $400. (Only you can decide if that’s “minimal“ or not.) You also have to consider the increased heat and lesser battery life resulting from the greater power draw of the Max chips.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.