Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
For me what it boils down to is the fact that I don't take my ipads out of the house unless I am going on a long trip. Therefore I don't really need a smaller, lighter iPad which is why I am just keeping my 3. Most of the time I am sitting or laying down when using my iPad, not walking around. After using both, I realized that you eventually end up propping them both up against something, so why not enjoy the larger retina display? I do like the mini's form factor but will wait for the same form to come in the 9.7inch screen. Again this is only for my uses, if I wanted a tablet to bring with me almost all the time I would hands down be keeping the mini, but for me, thats what my iPhone 5 is for.

You are in the transition step I feel. You have recognised the benefits of not having to open up a laptop every time you want to check something at home...

But at some point (and I think you acknowledge this yourself), you'll see how great it is to have a lightweight and portable computer on you at all times. Just slip in into your coat pocket and you are good to go.

(and no, you don't need to prop the mini up... holding it with one hand for extended periods of time is no problem)

danish1542

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
MA
You are in the transition step I feel. You have recognised the benefits of not having to open up a laptop every time you want to check something at home...

But at some point (and I think you acknowledge this yourself), you'll see how great it is to have a lightweight and portable computer on you at all times. Just slip in into your coat pocket and you are good to go.

(and no, you don't need to prop the mini up... holding it with one hand for extended periods of time is no problem)

You're exactly right, I do like having a portable computer on me at all times, but for me thats my iPhone. It really is just a smaller iPad after all. I don't see myself ever carrying around anything larger than a 4 or 5 inch phone all the time, its just not necessary. (for me) The point I was making about propping up the mini is that when you're lying down reading a magazine for example for a long period of time, eventually I found myself resting the mini on my chest just like I would with the full size iPad. That's how it was for me at least obviously we all read different ways.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
According to a couple trusted insiders Mini retina will happen in a few months. Added to the previous rumor about AUO manufacturing panels it's becoming more likely:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...tipped-for-september-2013-with-all-new-design

i hope AUO won't be the one making the screens.

their quality of small screens supplied to Lenovo is absolutely horrendous.

i remember when Lenovo switched to them mid-production cycle of the X120e. AUO's attempt an an anti-reflective coating resulted in a finish of the screen that made everything look hazy.

hop onto the Lenovo forums and you will find even more instances of AUO's atrocious quality

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
According to a couple trusted insiders Mini retina will happen in a few months. Added to the previous rumor about AUO manufacturing panels it's becoming more likely:

I have always felt that the new iPad mini Retina would be in stores by March 2013. It just makes sense in todays world where cellphones and tablets have so much competition.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
You're exactly right, I do like having a portable computer on me at all times, but for me thats my iPhone. It really is just a smaller iPad after all. I don't see myself ever carrying around anything larger than a 4 or 5 inch phone all the time, its just not necessary. (for me) The point I was making about propping up the mini is that when you're lying down reading a magazine for example for a long period of time, eventually I found myself resting the mini on my chest just like I would with the full size iPad. That's how it was for me at least obviously we all read different ways.

The iPhone is a great personal communication device but if you want to edit documents, create slide shows or something more involved you'll see why an iPad is much a more capable device as a personal computer.

danish1542

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
MA
The iPhone is a great personal communication device but if you want to edit documents, create slide shows or something more involved you'll see why an iPad is much a more capable device as a personal computer.

Luckily I don't do any of those things when I am out and about.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just returned my mini:

1st one I had (white) just stopped working. 2nd had hard to flip silent switch, gash in the top of the bezel right above the front cam which was noticeable and a weird LCD/tint relative to the first I came to enjoy, and the 3rd (black was all that was in stock, took it) was having weird intermittent wifi problems (maybe iOS6 bug), if I zipped along pages too quick in safari they would be done loading but like a puzzle piece of white boxes on and off between content until i exit and click the app icon again or just reload the page, tried restoring and setting up new. Also, the left side and right but way more so left gap had a weird ugly look to it like unevenly cut glass or excessive glue blotted here and there because it did not look clean at all and noticeable in bright lights. Someone else's in the family does not have this issue.

Seems like QC aint great on these as I would have expected

But realistically, I want:
-either retina, or A6 (and more RAM seems like it would be nice too).

I have a feeling apple is gonna screw 1st gen people by releasing an updated version in just a couple months. before summer

Plus I have iPad3 jailbroken and two pads is nice but excessive for me. And I sold my Nexus 7, so now I'm out a tiny tablet. Waiting..

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
i hope AUO won't be the one making the screens.

their quality of small screens supplied to Lenovo is absolutely horrendous.

i remember when Lenovo switched to them mid-production cycle of the X120e. AUO's attempt an an anti-reflective coating resulted in a finish of the screen that made everything look hazy.

hop onto the Lenovo forums and you will find even more instances of AUO's atrocious quality

They build to the OEM's standard. Lenovo's standards are the problem, when it comes to displays Lenovo's standards are very, very low.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just returned my mini:

1st one I had (white) just stopped working. 2nd had hard to flip silent switch, gash in the top of the bezel right above the front cam which was noticeable and a weird LCD/tint relative to the first I came to enjoy, and the 3rd (black was all that was in stock, took it) was having weird intermittent wifi problems (maybe iOS6 bug), if I zipped along pages too quick in safari they would be done loading but like a puzzle piece of white boxes on and off between content until i exit and click the app icon again or just reload the page, tried restoring and setting up new. Also, the left side and right but way more so left gap had a weird ugly look to it like unevenly cut glass or excessive glue blotted here and there because it did not look clean at all and noticeable in bright lights. Someone else's in the family does not have this issue.

Seems like QC aint great on these as I would have expected

But realistically, I want:
-either retina, or A6 (and more RAM seems like it would be nice too).

I have a feeling apple is gonna screw 1st gen people by releasing an updated version in just a couple months. before summer

Plus I have iPad3 jailbroken and two pads is nice but excessive for me. And I sold my Nexus 7, so now I'm out a tiny tablet. Waiting..

Curious as to your resource for the Minis you have had. I had one, my GF and a friend of mine just got one and no problems with any of them to tell the truth.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Best buy.

I'm probably too observant but quality control isn't anywhere near as bad on these as the iPhone 5 and iPad 3. Still doesn't mean it's not bad in its own regard :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Best buy.

I'm probably too observant but quality control isn't anywhere near as bad on these as the iPhone 5 and iPad 3. Still doesn't mean it's not bad in its own regard :)

The only 3rd gen I tried ran way too hot. One of the reasons I returned it besides getting a 4 for the same price. ;)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

it's funny because when I'm reading in bed or on sofa, I don't feel the need to prop up the mini (or the regular size iPad, for that matter), but if I'm reading at a desk or table, I find myself eventually wanting to rest an edge on the tabletop, then after a while more, I find myself wishing for a smart cover or stand to prop it up. I think when I'm in bed or on the sofa, I'm unconsciously propping it up against my lap every so often.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
They build to the OEM's standard. Lenovo's standards are the problem, when it comes to displays Lenovo's standards are very, very low.

the supplier that Lenovo was initially using for the X120e didn't have any problems with the screen. AUO's attempt at an anti-reflective coating resulting in a hazy finish that made everything fuzzy.

Lenovo didn't spec that

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I'll reverse your train of thought.

What does the Mini offer you feature wise over the 3 and 4? Zero
Exactly the point.
Size and weight? That wasn't an issue before, if it was then why did people keep those to begin with if that was such a big deal?
What are you talking about?
The screen isn't as good, the processor isn't as good, I rather watch a movie or play games on the 3 or 4, I rather web browse on those rather than the Mini. Should I continue?????
The processor is just as good or better than the iPad 3.

Your preference for size is the reason both are offered. That one is smaller and one is larger is the point of having two devices, but the iPad mini lacks no features nor contains any "dated" technology. It has no retina display; that's the price you pay for paying $170 less and getting a smaller, thinner, lighter package.

But you're not getting something that's old or limiting.
I own an iPad 2 which I'm still happily using, but if it were released as a new product alongside the iPad 4 I would consider it dated and somewhat deficient when compared to the iPad 4.
If the iPad 2 and iPad 4 were released initially at the same time, then by definition one could not be dated.

The whole point is that some people are using "dated" as some sort of fictionalized code to paint the iPad mini as a recycled product rather than a new, miniaturized version of something else. How long does it take for a notebook to catch up to a desktop's performance? 3 years? How long does it take for an ultrabook to catch up to performance notebooks? It hasn't happened yet.

The Nexus 7's Tegra 3 SOC draws on the exact same technological foundation as the A5. Is it "dated", too?
Then again, if I had never driven a Camaro I wouldn't necessarily consider a Chevy Cobalt to be dated or deficient.
Exactly the problem. Neither one is dated: some parts of the 2012 Camaro are much older designs than some parts on the 2012 Cruze and vice versa. Neither one is deficient: a Cruze isn't supposed to be a Camaro and no one expects it to be.

You can look at it rather simply: the day before the launch of the iPad mini and the iPad 4, you had the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. The only meaningful difference between the two products was the display. Performance was essentially identical between the two (iPad 2 actually ran a little faster, but occasionally the added RAM of the iPad 3 would give it an edge in non-graphics intensive tasks).

Then the next day, the iPad 2 got upgraded: better display, smaller, lighter design, new wifi/cellular/camera/audio/touchscreen hardware. It also got $70 cheaper.

The iPad 3 got upgraded, too, because the display alone isn't enough to justify the $170 difference: more powerful SOC and expanded LTE. From a hardware perspective based on the average age of parts, the iPad mini is actually the newer device, but that is still a stupid metric to use in the first place.

Is the Nexus 7 dated or deficient because the Nexus 10 is around? Of course not.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Rumors by an analyst that has been wrong before more than once. Remember a rumor about Apple releasing a TV (the actual TV that the Apple TV box)? Guess from where? I'll believe when I see it.

Rumors can be wrong, but if they keep coming something is up.
If they are planning for March the technology exists. March sounds soon but makes sense because Mini will look bad compared to competition.

As for an Apple television the rumor is it is under development. That is believable, but the market changes fast so Apple may never release it.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
so why if you have either of those do you get a Mini or prefer it? Size and weight? That wasn't an issue before

Actually for me it was the main issue before. I can remember using my iPad 3 and wishing it was just smaller. Soon after that I learned about the mini and have preferred it ever since.

----------

As for an Apple television the rumor is it is under development.

Yes I have heard this too. It's supposed to be slated for 3rd quarter 2013.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Actually for me it was the main issue before. I can remember using my iPad 3 and wishing it was just smaller. Soon after that I learned about the mini and have preferred it ever since.

I was the same way. Owned the first iPad and then picked up an iPad 4 and always was bothered with the size of it. Never seemed to be the right fit for me but used it as it was my only option as far as an iOS device goes. LOVE LOVE LOVE that I returned my iPad 4 for the mini. Would I love to have a retina screen in my mini? SURE! But for what it is right now....I'm very happy with it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

For me, the size wasn't that much of an issue, but I've always wished that the iPad weighed a little less. If they could get the full size iPad to weigh the same as the mini, that would be my ideal iPad.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
I'm returning my iPad mini as well. I love the size and portability of it, but I hardly take the thing out of the house, so those two qualities aren't as important for me I guess.

Now that the newness has worn off, I feel like I'm left with a device that is just a larger iPhone 5, and not an actual tablet like the 9.7" iPad. The screen isn't all that bad looking on the mini though like many make it seem.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm returning my iPad mini as well. I love the size and portability of it, but I hardly take the thing out of the house, so those two qualities aren't as important for me I guess.

Now that the newness has worn off, I feel like I'm left with a device that is just a larger iPhone 5, and not an actual tablet like the 9.7" iPad. The screen isn't all that bad looking on the mini though like many make it seem.

See I felt that way with my ipad 4. Why not just use my mbp instead of the 9.7. The mini is great for me when I don't want to pull out the notebook.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
See I felt that way with my ipad 4. Why not just use my mbp instead of the 9.7. The mini is great for me when I don't want to pull out the notebook.

The iPad is much more comfortable and funner to use for couch browsing, reading, and gaming than a MacBook Pro. I actually sold my MacBook Pro recently because I wasn't using it as much as I wanted to. My 21.5" iMac/iPad/iPhone 5 set up is better for me I find.

I'm glad you love your mini though! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.