Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
It's possible that someone who never used a Retina Display iPhone or iPad may be ok with it, but if you are used to a Retina Display in my opinion it's going to be somewhat challenging to get used to the iPad Mini.

Nope. Came from a 3rd Gen iPad and screen is not a problem.

Here's a crazy thought - play on one in the Apple store and make a decision, yourself. Don't leech on limited stock and prevent those who actually want an iPad Mini from being able to get one.

Seriously though, I'm so done with this screen argument. If you don't like the screen then buy an iPad, if you want portability and don't give a cr4p about PPI or anything like that, iPad Mini. Is there a need for all these threads? It's like a broken record!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I guess I'll throw down my two cents here but I really liked the Mini cause I'm accustomed to the size and weight of 7" androiod tablets. The price of the larger Ipads steered me clear so the Mini seemed right up my alley.

I really had no idea I would like the Apple ecosystem this much. It took me no time to breeze my way through doing things on Apple. So much so me liking it, do I really want to keep the Mini which has specs from yesteryear or buy something more updated feeling at least I'm closer to a product I'd be more likely to hold unto as a result?

You see I'm not dumping on the Mini per se, especially the screen along with the device's weight and size. My situation is different.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
An IGZO mini, right now, would drop display power demand from ~10.5Wh to ~8Wh. Bumping up to retina specs would almost double that 8Wh to somewhere around 16Wh. Even in the best case scenario, an IGZO retina mini would need a battery capacity of about 23.5-24Wh. That's still a huge improvement over the 27-28 they'd need for a hypothetical a-Si mini...but 23-24 is still a lot bigger than 16.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. You seems to want to keep shifting the number to make your case. A simple comparison of the battery size between the Sharp AQUOS SHT21 battery size and NEXUS 7 battery size (since both has 1280x800 display resolution and same size) show that the SHT21 battery is less than half the size and the battery life is over 50% more. If we both agree that Ipad mini retina display will depend on IGZO, all we are disagreeing is how big the battery size will be. My back of envelope calculation tell me that Ipad mini retina can be around current weight if what Sharp claim come to pass. We will know the truth when SHT21 start shipping in Japan in Dec and everyone can get their hand on one and do their own testing. For now, I see that 2048x1536 7.9 size display panel not in Sharp's road map to be a more problematic issue for Ipad mini timing. My hope is that Sharp is working on that size display and just don't publish it.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
My hope is that Sharp is working on that size display and just don't publish it.

I'm pretty sure that's the case as Apple has been working with them for around 18 months now regarding this. Apple would be a pretty big account for Sharp and a nice feather in their cap. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to make this display happen for the mini.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I think we will have to agree to disagree. You seems to want to keep shifting the number to make your case.
On the contrary, you keep trying to inflate the number to make yours even though Sharp freely and fully admits the 25% power savings number.
A simple comparison of the battery size between the Sharp AQUOS SHT21 battery size and NEXUS 7 battery size (since both has 1280x800 display resolution and same size) show that the SHT21 battery is less than half the size and the battery life is over 50% more.
You're not basing this on any actual data, but on tech blogs for a product that hasn't been examined yet. We already know that the Nexus 7 actually carries a 16Wh battery. We don't know what the capacity of the SHT21 battery is or what its actual run time is--it hasn't been evaluated. Engadget says it's a 3460mAh battery (which again, we don't have a full Wh figure for yet so we can't make any direct comparisons). You're saying 2040mAh, which you've confused for the SHL21, a 4.7 inch smartphone, not a tablet. We do know that IGZO displays result in an overall savings of 25% over a-Si, because that has been evaluated.

Sharp is saying it's releasing tablets and phones with double the runtime, but they have never attributed it solely to the IGZO display, because that would be a lie. Like everyone else, they are putting in larger batteries, lower-power ARM chipsets, more efficient LEDs, and more aggressive power management.

A more efficient backplane will create huge power savings for a retina mini, but it's still going to need a bigger battery than it currently has. There is no escaping that.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Granting your hypothesis, assuming that 3460mAh battery pack for the Sharp SHT21 tablet is accurate and assuming that it translates to 13Wh, and assuming that it will match or exceed the Nexus 7 in battery life (their comparison tablet got less than half), and further assuming that the power savings is solely due to the IGZO transition and needing a lower-power backlight, they've achieved 3Wh power savings--about 27% on the display component (18.5% device total).

27 is very close to the IGZO target 25%. Even before considering that some of that efficiency probably comes from other components, you're solidly in the range as Sharp and I have been saying all along.

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Nope. Came from a 3rd Gen iPad and screen is not a problem.

Here's a crazy thought - play on one in the Apple store and make a decision, yourself. Don't leech on limited stock and prevent those who actually want an iPad Mini from being able to get one.

Seriously though, I'm so done with this screen argument. If you don't like the screen then buy an iPad, if you want portability and don't give a cr4p about PPI or anything like that, iPad Mini. Is there a need for all these threads? It's like a broken record!

I as a consumer have the right to buy what I want when I want. I don't make purchasing decisions based on whether or not someone else want's an item more than I do.

I have a right to express my displeasure on any forum or any medium I choose. I will say it all day, everyday, the iPad Mini screen is an outdated screen compared to technologies used on the majority of today's mobile devices.

The iPad mini is light, it's portable, it has a good IOS. It has a terrible screen. I also have a Verizon LTE model that crashes all the time. Am I going to return? I don't know. It's nice to be able to do whatever I want though, I guess it's just one of those pesky freedoms I enjoy.

So, let me tell you, I don't care what kind of Apple cheerleader you are, you aren't going to shut me or other's like me up. I give Apple many accolades when they are deserved, but when a product falls short I am going to be vocal about it.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I as a consumer have the right to buy what I want when I want. I don't make purchasing decisions based on whether or not someone else want's an item more than I do.

I have a right to express my displeasure on any forum or any medium I choose. I will say it all day, everyday

May I suggest you switch to drinking decaf? :p

When you've settled down maybe you can show everyone where Dan14 said that you don't have a right to show displeasure, because when I read his post I only see someone who is sick of all the same nonsensical rants trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and he has a point.

The iPad mini is light, it's portable, it has a good IOS. It has a terrible screen
Before the Retina screen millions of people were buying products with screens much like the iPad mini. Everyone was happy. I'll even bet that you never posted about screen upgrades way back then. Then one day Apple decides to come out with a better screen and (according to you) suddenly overnight the same screen that used to be fine is "terrible"? That is too funny :D

Appearently you don't understand how businesses are run very well. Most people could have told you even before the mini was introduced that the first version of the iPad mini would contain a 'normal' screen. Why in the world would they want to put a better screen on the very first rendition of a new product, when most people would buy the product anyway? Manufactures need to save some "improvements" for later versions of the product. It is foolish and needless for them to blow their wod out of the gate. Like you I am also waiting for the Retina screen to be added to the mini, but it's not a deal breaker. Most likely some time between next April and July you'll get your wish.

Oh and Apple isn't trying to make the iPad Mini just like the full version as that would cannibalize the full version. And none of those other mobile devices that you talked about had better screens in them before Apple came out with the Retina screen, which kind of proves Dan14's point. Sure, you have a right to act like a maniac and make mountains out of molehills on a public forum, but it will not add the Retina screen to mini any faster. There are much worse things in the world to worry about, but by all means you go right ahead and whine and moan if that makes your boat float :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
^ The worst logic is "if there was never retina it would be fine". That goes for any advancement in technology....

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It doesn't matter what folks were using back when, that was what was available at the time.

Many don't like going backwards with technology when there is some things out there better.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009

I have a right to express my displeasure on any forum or any medium I choose. I will say it all day, everyday, the iPad Mini screen is an outdated screen compared to technologies used on the majority of today's mobile devices.

The iPad mini is light, it's portable, it has a good IOS. It has a terrible screen. I also have a Verizon LTE model that crashes all the time. Am I going to return? I don't know. It's nice to be able to do whatever I want though, I guess it's just one of those pesky freedoms I enjoy.

So, let me tell you, I don't care what kind of Apple cheerleader you are, you aren't going to shut me or other's like me up. I give Apple many accolades when they are deserved, but when a product falls short I am going to be vocal about it.

So don't buy it, simple. Do the research before hand before wasting stock. It's not like it was a surprise when you received yours Apple hadn't included a Retina screen. But if you think your method of buying countless items just because you can't decide if you want a black or a white iPad is the most efficient, then when Apple and other retailers implemented restock fees I'll know who to look at.

Freedom of speech is a right my friend; but whining, take it elsewhere.

----------

May I suggest you switch to drinking decaf? :p

When you've settled down maybe you can show everyone where Dan14 said that you don't have a right to show displeasure, because when I read his post I only see someone who is sick of all the same nonsensical rants trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and he has a point.

Before the Retina screen millions of people were buying products with screens much like the iPad mini. Everyone was happy. I'll even bet that you never posted about screen upgrades way back then. Then one day Apple decides to come out with a better screen and (according to you) suddenly overnight the same screen that used to be fine is "terrible"? That is too funny :D

Appearently you don't understand how businesses are run very well. Most people could have told you even before the mini was introduced that the first version of the iPad mini would contain a 'normal' screen. Why in the world would they want to put a better screen on the very first rendition of a new product, when most people would buy the product anyway? Manufactures need to save some "improvements" for later versions of the product. It is foolish and needless for them to blow their wod out of the gate. Like you I am also waiting for the Retina screen to be added to the mini, but it's not a deal breaker. Most likely some time between next April and July you'll get your wish.

Oh and Apple isn't trying to make the iPad Mini just like the full version as that would cannibalize the full version. And none of those other mobile devices that you talked about had better screens in them before Apple came out with the Retina screen, which kind of proves Dan14's point. Sure, you have a right to act like a maniac and make mountains out of molehills on a public forum, but it will not add the Retina screen to mini any faster. There are much worse things in the world to worry about, but by all means you go right ahead and whine and moan if that makes your boat float :D

Well said.

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
So don't buy it, simple. Do the research before hand before wasting stock. It's not like it was a surprise when you received yours Apple hadn't included a Retina screen. But if you think your method of buying countless items just because you can't decide if you want a black or a white iPad is the most efficient, then when Apple and other retailers implemented restock fees I'll know who to look at.

You don't make any sense at all. When I buy something, if I don't like it I return it. It's pretty straight forward.
And sure, next time you pay a restocking fee, come find me for a chat.:rolleyes:

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
You don't make any sense at all. When I buy something, if I don't like it I return it. It's pretty straight forward.
And sure, next time you pay a restocking fee, come find me for a chat.:rolleyes:

Makes perfect sense to me. I see no end of comments on this forum along the lines of "I'm swapping my black iPad for a white one." Why not make up your mind before wasting everyone's time? There's one thread on here somewhere where someone bought an iPad Mini, swapped it for an iPad 4, then back to a Mini. Some people seriously need to learn how to research this stuff.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
There's one thread on here somewhere where someone bought an iPad Mini, swapped it for an iPad 4, then back to a Mini.

OMG that is too funny. I'll bet their nickname is Jigsaw, because every time they have to make a decision they fall to pieces :D

Think how much time they must waste in their life
:eek:

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009

And this is exactly why these types of threads offer no benefit to the forums whatsoever.

----------

Makes perfect sense to me. I see no end of comments on this forum along the lines of "I'm swapping my black iPad for a white one." Why not make up your mind before wasting everyone's time? There's one thread on here somewhere where someone bought an iPad Mini, swapped it for an iPad 4, then back to a Mini. Some people seriously need to learn how to research this stuff.

Exactly!

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Originally Posted by habubauza
It's possible that someone who never used a Retina Display iPhone or iPad may be ok with it, but if you are used to a Retina Display in my opinion it's going to be somewhat challenging to get used to the iPad Mini.

It hasn't been challenging for me and I've used an iPhone 4 for about a year and half now.

I'm quite satisfied with the iPad minis' screen. I have no major qualms.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
A more efficient backplane will create huge power savings for a retina mini, but it's still going to need a bigger battery than it currently has. There is no escaping that.

I think that is where we differ. An Ipad mini using the same Ipad 4 display technology will probably weight 1lb to 1.1 lb given that the screen size of an Ipad mini is only about 65% of Ipad 4 (current weight 1.44lb) vs an ipad mini current weight of 0.68lb (308g) . Right now the SHT21 claim is that it weight about 280g but it can run longer than Nexus 7 by 50% or more (depending on how one interpret the announcement which was translated from Japanese. It seems to be able to run 15 hours vs 9+ hours for Nexus 7). It looks awefully close to have a retina mini weight in the 308g range. As I mentioned, once the SHT21 is out in Dec, I am pretty sure every tech blog will run their own test to verify their claim and we will know where we stand in term of the weight of a potential Ipad mini retina. The key is whether Sharp can produce a 2048x1536 7.9 inches display..

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

I have a right to express my displeasure on any forum or any medium I choose.

your a narcissist with a massive sense of entitlement caught up in the drama of owning oversized smartphones. Merry Christmas!

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
love my mini, returning it because on the mini/ipad 4 the only way of keeping the hotspot feature alive and not going into sleep, is by keeping the screen on, which kills the battery and heats it alot. getting me a jetpack.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
love my mini, returning it because on the mini/ipad 4 the only way of keeping the hotspot feature alive and not going into sleep, is by keeping the screen on, which kills the battery and heats it alot. getting me a jetpack.

are you sure about this?

Djtrackie

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012

Not true, as an iPad Verizon LTE user I have used this as an hotspot extensively. As long as your device remains connected and being used such as a laptop or a phone it will remain connected. However, if for instance, you have your iPhone connected to your iPad that is being used as a hotspot, the hotspot connection will disconnect when the phone goes to sleep because that connection is temporarily broken.

So in other words.. U can't expect the hotspot to remain on all the time if the devices connected to it don't maintain the connection. (IE your cellphone). However if you have a laptop that is using the hotspot and the laptop remains on and never breaks connection, the hotspot will remain active

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
tried everything i can think of. if you find another solution, please share

my iPhone 4S still allows the tethering connection even if i press the sleep button.

i literally just got my iPad Mini 2 hours ago - i will test it out tomorrow and get back to you

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Not true, as an iPad Verizon LTE user I have used this as an hotspot extensively. As long as your device remains connected and being used such as a laptop or a phone it will remain connected. However, if for instance, you have your iPhone connected to your iPad that is being used as a hotspot, the hotspot connection will disconnect when the phone goes to sleep because that connection is temporarily broken.

So in other words.. U can't expect the hotspot to remain on all the time if the devices connected to it don't maintain the connection. (IE your cellphone). However if you have a laptop that is using the hotspot and the laptop remains on and never breaks connection, the hotspot will remain active

well, like i said, screen has to be on at all times, if i leave the room for few min, than come back to it once both screens are off, no connection.
btw, nothing that you wrote contredicts my first statement, therefore, i WAS NOT wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.