Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I just want an ipod that plays music. I have a 5G, but I've never even used the video or photo capabilities. In light of the rumors of the 6G, I've realized I could very well be a dying breed. I'd be perfectly happy to have a 1G in fact (and not for the cool factor either). And the fact is if I hadn't taken advantage of the ipod/computer student deal, I would never have bought this thing (I was planning on purchasing a non-photo, non-color 4G refurb). Which annoys me because I feel like I'm not using myy ipod to its full capability. And if this ebook rumor comes to truth, I'd never use that feature either. 1.my vision is really poor for an 18 year old and 2. I think there is great worth in more traditional forms of literature (novels I mean, not short reads).

I'm too simple for my own good :eek:

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I feel the same.

Just want to have a nice little music player.

As soon as the Nano has a better capacity/price ratio I'm going with that sweet little thing.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Your iPod is primarily a music player. If you don't want to use the other features, then don't. I've never used the calendar, contacts, notes, or games on mine, and I've watched maybe three short videos. Do I feel like I'm missing something? Not at all.

Just like my Mac. I've never used iMovie or iDVD or iChat or Chess; rarely use widgets or Automator or Sherlock. You use what you need, and ignore what you don't.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
celebrian23 said:
I just want an ipod that plays music. I have a 5G, but I've never even used the video or photo capabilities. In light of the rumors of the 6G, I've realized I could very well be a dying breed. I'd be perfectly happy to have a 1G in fact (and not for the cool factor either). And the fact is if I hadn't taken advantage of the ipod/computer student deal, I would never have bought this thing (I was planning on purchasing a non-photo, non-color 4G refurb). Which annoys me because I feel like I'm not using myy ipod to its full capability. And if this ebook rumor comes to truth, I'd never use that feature either. 1.my vision is really poor for an 18 year old and 2. I think there is great worth in more traditional forms of literature (novels I mean, not short reads).

I'm too simple for my own good :eek:

It's very possible that these rumors are about a high end iPod, a "Pod Pro" if you will. Just like there was the regular iPod and the iPod Photo. We'll have the regular iPod (that also plays video), and the full video iPod with all the goodies. That's my opinion of course.

Honestly though, once I have an iMac and an EyeTV I'll have more content than I'll know what to do with. I plan to get a video iPod for that.

Sav

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2005
I Agree - I have a 10G 1st Gen ipod (over 4 years and still going strong). I have never felt the need to do anything other than listen to it - hence I've never needed to upgrade it. Only thing is I cannot fit my whole library on there now.

Viking Quest

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
Sav said:
I Agree - I have a 10G 1st Gen ipod (over 4 years and still going strong). I have never felt the need to do anything other than listen to it - hence I've never needed to upgrade it. Only thing is I cannot fit my whole library on there now.

The ONLY reason i have considered upgrading from my 3G is because of space. I could care less about the color screen, videos, and pictures.

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The 1g ipod just feels to clumsy for me, the 5g is nice and thin, that is worth something right? It's the same with phones I bought a motorola razr for the looks never used any of the functions besides making calls on it except for the alarm clock

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eh enjoy your iPod however you use it, don't feel bad because your not using certain features. If my 4G iPod hadn't have gotten fubared I would still be using it.
I don't ever use the video, I occasionally use the photo function for maps, but I could live with out it.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Flowbee said:
Your iPod is primarily a music player. If you don't want to use the other features, then don't. I've never used the calendar, contacts, notes, or games on mine, and I've watched maybe three short videos. Do I feel like I'm missing something? Not at all.

Same here, exactly. I have never watched one video even. I use my iPod video solely as a music player which is what I intended. I could see being disappointed if those other features caused the player to be much bigger/heavier or lessened the music player in some way, but none of it effects your ability to use your iPod simply as a music player. It's what it does best, of course. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.