I lost my phone and I need my music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KK12345, Feb 25, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi, I have just lost my phone, but I really want to retrieve all the music on my phone. Sadly, I don't think I have ever synced with my laptop before. Is there a way I can still rescue my music and apps? Thanks so much!

2. macrumors 68040

You can download again from iTunes

3. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

How did you get your music in the first place?

4. macrumors 65816

You want to retrieve your music from your lost phone?

If you didn't download them legally from iTunes, then you can't. Common sense?

5. macrumors 601

Apple has all your iTunes purchases ready for re-download anytime.

For your other personal music, if u did it the way Apple wants you to, that is, you placed them on your PC, told iTunes to sync it to your phone, then the original music is still be on your PC. If you went around Apple and uploaded music to the phone, NOT through iTunes, ooooops.

6. macrumors 68040

Get music from whatever source you get your music from. Not that hard.

7. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

As stated above, iTunes remembers which songs you bought and you can manually redownload them for free using iTunes on your computer.

If you're planning on getting another iPhone, then restoring from an iCloud backup will put that all back.

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

And that's why we backup our stuff every so often;)

9. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Super weird to hear about people never, ever plugging their iPhones into a computer to sync/backup.

But yeah, legally purchased music should still be available via iTunes.

10. macrumors 6502

imlovinit

This scenario of losing both iPhone and music has to one of my worst nightmares. Especially the music. So I'm shocked you don't know how to recover your music.

11. macrumors regular

yes, i agree with you, in case for missing, next time you should backup in your computer.

12. macrumors 65816

decafjava

Unless he ripped them from CDs he bought. Which you can just rip again, but as that is a PITA that's why I backup. ;)

13. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Just to note, backups don't really help with music, but it's a little...odd to have music on your phone that you don't have anywhere else.

14. macrumors regular

Unless the OP used one of those free music download apps for their music and didn't bother using iTunes. If this was the case, I have no idea if the music would have been downloaded as "other" or if the data is stored in the app itself.

15. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Back Up.

Two very precious words in today's technological world.

16. macrumors 601

There are still people who don't appreciate the Apple's model, they gripe and complaint that they have to use iTunes to sync their music. The "other" phones let me drag&drop my music to my phone, why can't %^$@ Apple? They go out of their ways to bypass Apple's method.

This is why.

17. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

Perhaps the OP can inform us of his/her method of putting music onto their phone. Then we can try and help resolve this issue. It does seem the OP doesn't really understand the whole backup scenario, but at this point we are all just guessing.

BUT it never hurts to have the mantra of "Back up, Back up and Back up once more" ingrained in the noggin.

18. macrumors 65816

19. macrumors regular

Just download the songs again from iTunes and make sure that you have back up your data next time.

20. macrumors 65816

decafjava

Well many mobile phones have software for file managment and from a computer, like my old nokia for example.

Actually you can use drag and drop from itunes if you set "Manage music manually" in the options, I just find using playlists, especially smartplaylists to be much more efficient especially with large libraries.

Also when I say backup I mean don't backup within itunes, I backup the itunes music folder itself periodically, with all the music files and the playlist, playcount files etc. to an external drive. That way I don't have to worry about reripping my cds or redownloading my itunes purchases.

21. macrumors 68000

So your phone was the only location you kept your music, and you lost it.

OP, you haven't provided details. What are you asking? How to buy/redownload from iTunes? How to go to the store and buy a disc? How to apply common sense?

22. macrumors 601

Backups help with music in the same way that they help for anything else. By "backup" people mean backing up the music files -- not using backup in iTunes.

Regardless of what or where it is, if it's important, back it up.

23. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's called "Manually Manage," been doing for years. More like people complain without RTFM.

24. macrumors 65816

You make it sounds easy, but it's not like you can drag music to the iPhone from two different computers. It has to just be one.