Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Does anyone else love the 14 Pro? I think it is my favorite iPhone. I have the 13 Pro also and try to switch back and forth but after being used to the dynamic island, AOD it’s just not the same. I keep going back to it when I switch to another phone. Anyone else feel the same?

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I learned to appreciate the 14 Pro a lot. I went from a iPhone 11 Pro and the improvements are really. It did take some time to get use to some of the improvements but once I was used to improvements I really do like them. The dynamic island yes is a nice feature but I really do not notice it as much as the notch. I really like to see the dynamic island go to minimal mode that expands when needed.
The biggest thing for me was the improved cameras but it might have been a small improvement in comparison because I also had cataracts done so it would be that.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
I love my 14 pro max! I luckily haven’t encountered any of the bugs/issues people have been having.

This isn’t anything on Apple’s end but my one wish is more dynamic island integration in apps. Hopefully more developers will utilize it once the 15 series comes out

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
AOD and Dynamic Island have been fantastic for me on my 14 Pro. It was definitely worth the upgrade over the iPhone 13 that I previously owned.

Reactions: Devyn89

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I had a 13 Pro and went for a Max this time. After trade-in it’s only $20 a month for 2 years so I figured it was worth it. I agree with you, the AOD and dynamic island are worth it alone for me.

Reactions: turbochgd

Juk3s

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
I had a 13 Pro and went for a Max this time. After trade-in it’s only $20 a month for 2 years so I figured it was worth it. I agree with you, the AOD and dynamic island are worth it alone for me.
How was the size jump? I have the 13pro, but also debating Max for the 15. Sort of wanting a bigger screen/battery/new zoom - but I also do really like having compact phone for my pocket and just in general.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
How was the size jump? I have the 13pro, but also debating Max for the 15. Sort of wanting a bigger screen/battery/new zoom - but I also do really like having compact phone for my pocket and just in general.

I got a MagSafe pop socket and it’s been fine. There are times I wish I could go back to the smaller size, but that’s once in a while. I always appreciate the bigger screen at work though.

Reactions: Juk3s

James3000

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Does anyone else love the 14 Pro? I think it is my favorite iPhone. I have the 13 Pro also and try to switch back and forth but after being used to the dynamic island, AOD it’s just not the same. I keep going back to it when I switch to another phone. Anyone else feel the same?

My favourite since the iPhone 5.

Reactions: Devyn89

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I love my 14 pro max… especially the new larger imaging sensor. It is so much better using 48mp (ProRAW is awesome) vs (12mp..boring) for my photos. The new / larger sensor is also fantastic for astrophotography. Only 12mp available for night mode. Here are some samples. The 13 pro / max is good, but much noisier than the 14 pro / max. The max iso for the 13 pro is 6400 I believe. The 14 pro max iso is 12,768. Here are two shots of the Milky Way, one from the 13 pro max and the other from the 14 pro max.

13 pro max with crop

RNI-Films-IMG-05F416C8-000E-42DE-82C4-BD6C5A15BDCF.jpeg

Crop: mushy stars and noise

IMG_9163.png

14 pro max:
IMG_2814.jpeg

Crop: much cleaner image

IMG_9164.png

Enjoy

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
@ToddH did you use any accessory when taking the photograph? Was it taken with manual setting or auto?

Pixel peeping on 48MP photos that I have taken really reinforces that it still cannot compare to an older DSLR camera... iPhone 14 Pro Max 48MP RAW/JPEG vs Nikon D5500 DSLR 24MP RAW/JPEG

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
@ToddH did you use any accessory when taking the photograph? Was it taken with manual setting or auto?

Pixel peeping on 48MP photos that I have taken really reinforces that it still cannot compare to an older DSLR camera... iPhone 14 Pro Max 48MP RAW/JPEG vs Nikon D5500 DSLR 24MP RAW/JPEG
The Milky Way shots were shot in ProRAW and the iPhone was on my SkyWatcher Star Adventurer to track the sky. The exposure was only 30 seconds with the default camera using night mode. 30 seconds is the maximum night mode will take. I used the tracker to avoid star trails caused by earths rotation. The iPhone can be on a regular tripod as well, but the stars will be slightly elongated from star trailing during the 30” exposure but will give very similar results. The darker the sky the better.

Yes the 48mp image quality from the iPhone isn’t as detailed as compared to a DSLR, but if you use a 24mm lens on a DSLR and shoot the same scene with the iPhone, you probably will not see a difference especially if the two images are printed and placed side by side.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
The 15pro will serve you better

ultra16

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
The 120hz display is one of the bigger improvements IMO. Especially on the Pro Max… browsing web pages that smoothly is incredible.

The Dynamic Island is less disruptive/cleaner than having a big square notification pop up for certain things.

Reactions: maxrest

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
very happy with mine. I'm using a front screen protector and camera protector, and I am rocking the no case look. Such a nice black phone.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I said it multiple times but upgrading from the 11 pro max to the 14 pro max has been great for me. I haven't had any major issues with my 14 pro max and all the upgrades like pro motion, 48 Megapixel camera, dynamic island, and more have fit my needs. I even shot a short marketing promo video for a client using only my iPhone 14 pro max and pro res video and no one was the wiser.

StageMomma

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2019
South Carolina
I sold my 13 Pro Max and got the 14 Pro Max. I do like it a lot but am not so taken by the dynamic island as I’ve found many apps do not take advantage of it. The AOD bothered me a lot for some reason, so I turned it off. It felt too bright and intrusive. I know I could turn that down a bit but I was worried about the battery, ended up turning it off and don’t miss it. I actually forget that it’s one of the features.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I sold my 13 Pro Max and got the 14 Pro Max. I do like it a lot but am not so taken by the dynamic island as I’ve found many apps do not take advantage of it. The AOD bothered me a lot for some reason, so I turned it off. It felt too bright and intrusive. I know I could turn that down a bit but I was worried about the battery, ended up turning it off and don’t miss it. I actually forget that it’s one of the features.
Yeah I turned it off too much battery drain on my 14 pro

ultra16

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
Yeah, it's almost like the Touch Bar on Macs in the sense that it really depends on how it's used by developers. One t thing I've noticed is developers can maybe have a little too much freedom with it. When I've got Spotify going, and I'm in Safari browsing a page, I don't need to see a bunch of "musical bars" bopping up and down to let me know music is playing. It's annoying and I hope this freedom doesn't start to get abused (i.e. turned into an attention-grabber).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.