Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snackcakeofd00m

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
well i got a new ibook and i love it. it rocks so much i love it but i have one issue. there is nothing wrong with any program except for aol instant messenger. when i type to someone the text appears 1-2 seconds later and when i send the message it goes like 3 seconds later. what is wrong? i have been using more hardware intense programs but i feel it has to do with the aim client itself. by the way i have 512 megs of ram so it isnt a memory issue

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
yes, i have the same problem.
try using ichat, it works 100% better.
it should be already installed on your book
have fun
sk8R

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Normally, I'd suggest that you make sure AIM is up to date...if it wasn't for Apple's own iChat program, which is 100% compatible with AIM (and has AOL's blessing). It comes with Mac OS X - why don't you give it a try? If you don't like iChat, there's always Adium, Fire, or Proteus.

snackcakeofd00m

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
cool its working better know but i have a question. will i be able to keep my ibook for awhile or will i notice it to becomeunbearably slow within a year or two

Applespider

macrumors G4
snackcakeofd00m said:
cool its working better know but i have a question. will i be able to keep my ibook for awhile or will i notice it to becomeunbearably slow within a year or two

Depends what you're asking it to do? If you decide to start encoding 2 hour DVDs then yes, it will feel very slow. For general stuff, probably not. One thing you might decide to do in a year or so is add some new RAM to it. It can give your computer a whole new lease of life.

I have a PB 1.25Ghz G4 which I upgraded from 512MB to 1.25GB of RAM and it still feels fast enough for most of the stuff that I do.

If you're asking this in relation to how Windows PCs generally tend to slow down, the answer is probably not. PCs tend to get bunged up with massive registries, programs that you're no longer using but can't easily uninstall and, most likely, spyware. Spyware isn't currently an issue on Macs, there is no registry and the majority of unwanted applications can be simply dropped in the trash so you should be OK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.