Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I remember when I was in 6th grade (2001) they brought in a brand new blue iMac to my classroom and I watched in awe as they unboxed it. It was amazing. When I was in junior high our computer lab was full of them. I remember greatly disliking the hockey puck mouse.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't care for transparent plastic, but I like that Apple is now offering silver and Space Gray MacBooks. (Yes...even gold...)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I prefer the more subdued look of the B&W G3 and "Graphite" G4. I still think, though, that the Quicksilver is the best looking computer Apple has ever made.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 117

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
The colored iMacs and iBooks have always been my favorite computer design ever. I still have an iMac and iBook. It's too bad those are so hard to case mod... at least with my minimal hardware experience (all i can really do is take stuff apart and replace parts). If those were easier to case mod, I 100% would. That being said....

I really don't get why computers and their designs always center around 1 or 2 designs/looks at a time. Like, there is so much more potential for interesting looking stuff but... everything looks the same??? It would be nice to see more computers that actually look unique. Even though ultimately it is made to get a job done, I really like unique computer designs and am really bored by a lot of current (and old) stuff.

At least it's nice to see Apple offering colors for more of their products :)

Face Ache

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Oz
I was trying to sell iMacs when the "Flower Power" model came out. Thanks, Steve! :confused:

If your name is Jonathan Ive, turn away now...

IDd2lWT.jpg

All that time making it sleek and sexy, and I come along with my hazard tape and my paint... :D I did this on day one, right out of the box.

Completely reversible, of course.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
To me, the appeal of the original Bondi Blue iMac and its multicolored successors relates to the times in which they were introduced. Apple's survival was an open question then, and the iMac made the company relevant again.

----------

You know what Apple computers looked like in my elementary school? I'll tell you. They looked like this:

Though admittedly, this was in '86-'89 or so. Apple II's were old even then. My school wasn't exactly cutting edge on the technological front.

Either way. Sup, Junior? :p

The Apple ][ was better-looking than than its competitors back in the day. The disk drives and clunky CRT monitors detracted from the sleek appearance of the computer, but their design was limited by available technology.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't like translucent plastic like on those iMacs or my Nintendo 2DS. I really don't care to see the internals. However, I'm glad they're bringing out a Space Gray MacBook; the silver was getting a little old IMO.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Apple ][ was better-looking than than its competitors back in the day. The disk drives and clunky CRT monitors detracted from the sleek appearance of the computer, but their design was limited by available technology.

As I type this, I'm also installing OS 9 on a PowerMacintosh 8600(c. 1997). Sitting behind it are two Beige G3 Minitowers(c.1998). Across the room, I have a PowerMacintosh 8500(c. 1995) and a Quadra 700(c. 1992). Sitting between the two is a "Workstation 2000" brand full-size ATX tower with dual Pentium III Xeon processors. The computer brand is really not that relevant-it looks like pretty much any other turn-of-the-century full-size ATX tower. BTW, for reference on just how big a full ATX tower is, the computer has 3 full-height 5 1/4" bays for optical drives and 5 1/4" disk drives, three external 3 1/2" bays for floppy drive and the like, and four internal 3 1/2" hard drive bays-all stacked on top of each other on the front of the computer.

In any case, despite their similar age, the Macs still looks a whole heck of a lot better and a lot more stylish than the contemporary generic ATX box.

Below is the PC between the 8500 and Quadra 700. BTW, the sole purpose I keep the ATX box around is because it has an AGP slot, and I can use it to flash Mac video cards. It came out of a research lab and is running Red Hat Linux installed on a pair of 10K 68-pin UW SCSI drives-one of these days I may pull those drives out of it(they sound like a chainsaw), put in a decent sized IDE drive, and put Windows 2000 on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended

I dunno. I was always partial to the old Atari 800XL.

atari800xl.jpg

...though that could've been because this was my personal Apple II. My neighbors had one of those. I had this one. And the games were far, far cooler. :p

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
EEEk

How old are those computers? I have never seen those in my life! I am so glad Apple has renovated their designs! Wow! The simple white or silver laptops, desktops are the best choice! If I have any object that is loud with color or designs, I get sick of it very quickly.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
How old are those computers? I have never seen those in my life! I am so glad Apple has renovated their designs! Wow! The simple white or silver laptops, desktops are the best choice! If I have any object that is loud with color or designs, I get sick of it very quickly.

Here's a brief history of Apple styling:

The 1980s into the early 90s used the "Snow White" design language, which was boxy white or gray with parallel lines molded in.

The 90s saw beige boxes, although they tended to be more "curvy" than competing PCs.

The return of Steve Jobs brought the "funky color" and crazy design era of the late 90s. He also simplified the product line-up to the "four box" model, with both a desktop and a portable in both the professional and consumer categories. The first product was the iMac, which originally came in "Bondi Blue"(a sort of dark green-teal color) but was later made available in other colors. You also had the clamshell iBooks, which also came in a variety of colors. The professional desktop was the Blue and White G3, which had front and side panels about the same color as Bondi Blue iMac and white frosted, translucent side panels. The only "conservative" option Apple still had was the Powerbook, which was black but a lot more "curvy" than the competing products and had the glowing Apple on the lid(albeit upside down).

The early 2000s saw the Clamshell iBook replaced by "Snow" iBooks which had more or less the same overall design as the white MacBooks that were made up until a few years ago. The iMac G4 was an amazing piece of engineering, with a white "dome" housing the computer and an LCD panel on an articulated arm so that the screen could be positioned anywhere. The professional towers kept the same basic layout but had the coloring toned down to a more conservative "graphite" scheme with dark blue front and top panels, and light gray opaque side panels. The professional laptop became the Titanium Powerbook G4, which had a silver gray titanium lid and bottom panel wrapped around a gray plastic main body. You also had the Cube, which IMO is one of the most gorgeous Apple products of all time. The professional G4 towers kept the same basic exterior case, but went through a couple of coloring and other design changes-the Quicksilver, which was plastic-silver all over, and then the Mirrored Drive Door, which has two optical drive doors covered by mirrored panels.

2003 brought a couple of dramatic changes. The professional desktop became the PowerMac G5, which introduced the basic "cheesegrater" aluminum case that was used(with some modifcation) for the Mac Pro through 2013. As a complement to that, the Powerbook G4 was completely redesigned in Aluminum and now in three sizes(12", 15" and 17"). The basic design of these(less the 12") carried over to the Intel era and lasted until the Unibody Macbook Pros came out in late 2008. The Imac G5 was in an upright white polycarbonate case, which lasted well into the Intel era when it was replaced by the aluminum iMac in 2007.

Aside from the Mac Pro, the last major design changes were in the 2007/2008 era, when the iMac and Unibody Macbook Pro were introduced. Subsequent changes have made products thinner and lighter, but kept the same overall look and feel of the products introduced in those years. Of course, the new Retina Macbook is a pretty radical departure as well.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
It was an amazing era, only creativity everywhere. Internet was new, everybody super curious about things, new music, new tools, new ways to do graphics, ways to animate and edit videos.

I always had people at my place because they wanted to edit stuff.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Growing up I had always wanted a B&W G3. Never got one. :(

They're cheap now. Go for it!

I have three. One is nearly perfect and I keep it as such as a collectors item(I have the plastic that was peeled off it, the documentation, and even the shipping invoice). I also have the matching Blueberry CRT for it-one of the few CRTs I still have.

One is a decent 400mhz that I have a bunch of weird OSs on(OS X developer previews and a couple of releases of Rhapsody/OS X Server).

The third has been upgraded to a G4 and has an nVidia FX5200-one of the few PCI video cards that supports Core Image(better OS X performance). I'm ultimately trying to get OS X Leopard on it, but it's more involved than I have time to deal with now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.