Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I need some help in a major way here is my situation, I have a tibook 800 1 gig ram running os 10.2.8 and an airport extreme base station with the latest software and everything has been pretty much great for the last six months until now. It all began yesterday, I started loosing my signal every few minutes. I have always had a pretty good signal at least 75% of the status bar, but now it goes to about half way down then nothing even when I'm in direct line of sight with the basestation from only about 10 feet away. This is really frustrating. When it goes down to no signal it comes back within one minute. I have tried resetting the basestation and setting up a new network and that didn't help, I also unplugged it for a while thinking maybe I left it on too long (6 months except for a power outage). Has this hapened to anyone else please help.:(

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: I need Airport extreme base station help

Have you checked to make sure your airport card in the TiBook hasn' come loose? Especially the antenna cable?

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Re: Re: I need Airport extreme base station help

Originally posted by Bear
Have you checked to make sure your airport card in the TiBook hasn' come loose? Especially the antenna cable?

Exactly: 1st thing you have to determine is if it is the laptop or the basestation. Can other wifi laptops see it? (Pain if you know no one with an airport - I think Kensington sells a 802.11 detector - or if you can borrow/buy/steal someone's wifi card you can try it in your laptop in lieu of the airport card).

-Wyrm

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
It seems that my problem might be fixed afteer unplugging my base station for a couple of hours and resetting I have not had and any problems for a few hours. Everthing seems to be back to normal, but if I have anymore issues I will post them. Thanks for your replys. :D

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Re: Re: I need Airport extreme base station help

Originally posted by Wyrm
I think Kensington sells a 802.11 detector
IIRC every single review i've read about Kensington's Wifi Finder (is that what itscalled?) says its not really reliable and it doesnt find networks half the time....

Who knows! i want to get my hands on one so i can personally try it out.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Re: Re: Re: Re: I need Airport extreme base station help

Originally posted by Eergeek
IIRC every single review i've read about Kensington's Wifi Finder (is that what itscalled?) says its not really reliable and it doesnt find networks half the time....

Who knows! i want to get my hands on one so i can personally try it out.

Good to know - I've never used one myself... I guess the best way to sniff out a hotspot is still to use a WiFi computer...

-Wyrm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.