Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro 16" 2019 maxed out.

I already bought Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard 2.
Also, I bought the new Samsung 57" G95NC Odyssey Neo G9 240Hz Dual UHD Monitor. Its resolution is 7,680 x 2,160 and it is using HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1.

I need recommendations for the following:
1- Clamshell Stand:
  • I need a recommendation of a stand.
  • I want to know whether to buy a vertical or a horizontal stand based on cooling, impact on the body of my laptop and ergonomics.
2- Cable:
  • I need a recommendation of a cable.
  • I want to know whether to buy an HDMI or a DisplayPort.
3- Docking Station:
  • I need a recommendation of a dock.
  • I searched this website for docks and found out that there are ThunderBolt and USB-C docks. I think I will go for ThunderBolt 3 docks because it is better, isn't it?
  • Do I need a dock? I already have an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.
What else do I need to complete my setup?
Will my laptop be able to get the full capability of my monitor?

Thanks,

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Hi,

1) I have RainDesign mdesign stand and twelve south stand, I prefer horizontal stand, because sometimes I need to power of-powwer on the MacBook or to place MacBook near the external display. I think horizontal is better.

2) I think your display just have all the cable out of the box, so you don't buy anything.

3) I have an old thuderbol dock and that's enough for me, but monitor also have a usb hub and power delivery.

Whether you need anything else depends on your needs.

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hi,

1) I have RainDesign mdesign stand and twelve south stand, I prefer horizontal stand, because sometimes I need to power of-powwer on the MacBook or to place MacBook near the external display. I think horizontal is better.

2) I think your display just have all the cable out of the box, so you don't buy anything.

3) I have an old thuderbol dock and that's enough for me, but monitor also have a usb hub and power delivery.

Whether you need anything else depends on your needs.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the cable, I think that the monitor comes with DisplayPort 2.1 to DisplayPort 2.1 cable. My Mac has ThunderBolt 3 ports only which means I need a cable or an adapter, doesn't I?

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I was looking to get that monitor to upgrade from my 49" G9 but the resolution might be an issue with my M1...not sure about your 16 Pro..

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/12sf8wg
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/16338vt

I think my 16" MacBook Pro will not achieve the full capabilities of the new monitor. However, I am waiting for Mac Studio M3 Ultra to be released to upgrade my setup which hopefully will achieve DUHD @ 240 Hz, or even 120 Hz.

Do you have any recommendation of cables and adapters?

I read this thread: DP/USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4 to HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz RGB4:4:4 10b HDR with Apple Silicon M1/M2 now possible !

I will try to follow up with the guide in it. However, it has some new terminologies that I hear for the first time in my life.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Hi,

Regarding the cable, I think that the monitor comes with DisplayPort 2.1 to DisplayPort 2.1 cable. My Mac has ThunderBolt 3 ports only which means I need a cable or an adapter, doesn't I?
You are confusing Connector with Protocol.
The Connector is USB Type C.
The Protocol can be Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, USB 4, and/or Power.

The data rate of your three ports is “up to” 40 Gbps each in Thunderbolt or USB 4 mode. So there’s your first answer: Thunderbolt is not faster on your laptop.

You could use a Thunderbolt dock so that you can attach one cable for power, USB and video. But here your problem is that you’re going to tap nearly all the cable bandwidth for that double UHD display. So what makes more sense is to attach the DisplayPort cable (USB Type-C to DisplayPort connector, most likely) directly from the laptop to the display. Then attach another cable from the laptop to a dock. I don’t think the added expense of a Thunderbolt dock will benefit you at all. You can get a much less expensive dock that will support USB and Ethernet and SD card and whatever else you want. The only big difference in cost is whether it supplies power.

Lastly, you need to purchase your cables with care. There are many USB C cables which only support power and USB 2.0 speed. Amazon has a LOT of sellers who are very vague about these points because they know you’ll just buy another cable and you won’t bother returning the bad one.

So, what’s the difference between Thunderbolt and USB 4? They will need the same cable for maximum speed, so it’s not really that. They can both provide up to 100 Watts of power, so it’s not that. The main difference is that Thunderbolt can transmit BOTH DisplayPort video and USB data at the same time. It also lets you daisy-chain two displays; but that’s something DisplayPort does by itself.

So if you get a Thunderbolt monitor, that’s cool; the monitor can give you USB ports and Ethernet. But if you can put up with two cables, it’s better because that’s the only way to get fill USB speed.

Last edited:

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
You are confusing Connector with Protocol.
The Connector is USB Type C.
The Protocol can be Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, USB 4, and/or Power.

The data rate of your three ports is “up to” 40 Gbps each in Thunderbolt or USB 4 mode. So there’s your first answer: Thunderbolt is not faster on your laptop.

You could use a Thunderbolt dock so that you can attach one cable for power, USB and video. But here your problem is that you’re going to tap nearly all the cable bandwidth for that double UHD display. So what makes more sense is to attach the DisplayPort cable (USB Type-C to DisplayPort connector, most likely) directly from the laptop to the display. Then attach another cable from the laptop to a dock. I don’t think the added expense of a Thunderbolt dock will benefit you at all. You can get a much less expensive dock that will support USB and Ethernet and SD card and whatever else you want. The only big difference in cost is whether it supplies power.

Lastly, you need to purchase your cables with care. There are many USB C cables which only support power and USB 2.0 speed. Amazon has a LOT of sellers who are very vague about these points because they know you’ll just buy another cable and you won’t bother returning the bad one.

So, what’s the difference between Thunderbolt and USB 4? They will need the same cable for maximum speed, so it’s not really that. They can both provide up to 100 Watts of power, so it’s not that. The main difference is that Thunderbolt can transmit BOTH DisplayPort video and USB data at the same time. It also lets you daisy-chain two displays; but that’s something DisplayPort does by itself.

So if you get a Thunderbolt monitor, that’s cool; the monitor can give you USB ports and Ethernet. But if you can put up with two cables, it’s better because that’s the only way to get fill USB speed.
Thanks for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it and I learned a lot from it.

My laptop has four ports of ThunderBolt 3 (not ThunderBolt 4), does it matter?

Also, I have 3 Apple adapters which are USB-C to HDMI, USB-C to SD-Card and USB-C to USB. But I think USB-C to HDMI will not be enough because I just checked the official Apple Store website and found out it supports UHD @ 60 Hz. Then, I think I will buy a new cable which is USB-C to DisplayPort 2.1. This solution will be for the present time until I get an M3 Ultra Mac Studio which hopefully will support high-end monitors similar to mine.

I think I will use Cable Matters brand. I will search for a good cable. Also, I think that I will do the configuration mentioned here: DP/USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4 to HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz RGB4:4:4 10b HDR with Apple Silicon M1/M2 now possible !

I will see if I can place two DisplayPort 2.1 cables to work together.

I am sorry if I am mixing things and terminologies, but I am new to this field.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it and I learned a lot from it.

My laptop has four ports of ThunderBolt 3 (not ThunderBolt 4), does it matter?

Also, I have 3 Apple adapters which are USB-C to HDMI, USB-C to SD-Card and USB-C to USB. But I think USB-C to HDMI will not be enough because I just checked the official Apple Store website and found out it supports UHD @ 60 Hz. Then, I think I will buy a new cable which is USB-C to DisplayPort 2.1. This solution will be for the present time until I get an M3 Ultra Mac Studio which hopefully will support high-end monitors similar to mine.

I think I will use Cable Matters brand. I will search for a good cable. Also, I think that I will do the configuration mentioned here: DP/USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4 to HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz RGB4:4:4 10b HDR with Apple Silicon M1/M2 now possible !

I will see if I can place two DisplayPort 2.1 cables to work together.

I am sorry if I am mixing things and terminologies, but I am new to this field.
The terminology is very confusing. I think it confuses everyone.

I looked up the specs of the 2019 MacBook Pro 16”. It says Four Thunderbolt 3 ports, which are up to 10 Gbps for USB 3 and up to 40 Gbps for Thunderbolt.

Interesting, isn’t it? I just don’t know if there’s a way to take advantage of the added 30 Gbps of Thunderbolt. Perhaps a dock that has two 10Gbps USB 3 ports? Perhaps 10 Gbps USB 3 plus DisplayPort?

For DisplayPort, the spec says:

“Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors.” Your display is 7K-by-2K. I don’t know if you can get the full 7K horizontal or not. I suppose you’ll have to try, or maybe ask the display vendor.
I think you’ll be better off using a cable straight from the laptop to the display.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Just connect and see what happens
Enough of questions
I am not living in the US or Europe right now. For these types of electronics, I have to unfortunately order online because here in my country we don't have this monitor released yet. So, I am asking a lot because I need to order online and then wait for 1-2 weeks to receive my stuff. I didn't receive the monitor until now, maybe within a couple of days. Now, I am preparing another order from the US to buy cables. docks and stands. I will connect and see what happens for sure, but I didn't receive anything and I have to prepare everything to minimize the waiting time. However, I am not expecting to get DUHD @ 240 Hz because of the hardware limitations of my laptop. For that reason, I am asking to know which parts I should order.

Sorry if my questions bothered you, and thank you for your reply. Also, thank you for understanging.

Have a nice day!
The terminology is very confusing. I think it confuses everyone.

I looked up the specs of the 2019 MacBook Pro 16”. It says Four Thunderbolt 3 ports, which are up to 10 Gbps for USB 3 and up to 40 Gbps for Thunderbolt.

Interesting, isn’t it? I just don’t know if there’s a way to take advantage of the added 30 Gbps of Thunderbolt. Perhaps a dock that has two 10Gbps USB 3 ports? Perhaps 10 Gbps USB 3 plus DisplayPort?

For DisplayPort, the spec says:

“Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors.” Your display is 7K-by-2K. I don’t know if you can get the full 7K horizontal or not. I suppose you’ll have to try, or maybe ask the display vendor.
I think you’ll be better off using a cable straight from the laptop to the display.
Thank you again for your detailed reply.

I am researching the options right now. However, I didn't find DisplayPort 2.1 manufactured by Cable Matters but from SilkLand. I am researching about this company.

I am researching about an approach to have two cables to the display which means I will split the bandwidth. I don't know whether it is possible.

P.S. I am still confused regarding the difference between USB-C and ThunderBolt 3. I think they are the same because they share the same port shape. However, don't worry, I will search about it and get the differences. You gave me some guidelines to search about.
Here is the stand I use:

I place the laptop in it with the vents up, otherwise you are cutting off some airflow.

I ordered Twelve South BookArc, and I will place it with the vents up as you have suggested. You are right regarding airflow.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I ordered Twelve South BookArc, and I will place it with the vents up as you have suggested. You are right regarding airflow.

I almost ordered that one myself but in the end I wanted one that was 100% adjustable without having to make additional purchases.

With BookArc you may be able to keep your laptop vents down without blocking due to its shape, check it when you get it as vents and ports down is more visually appealing.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
P.S. I am still confused regarding the difference between USB-C and ThunderBolt 3. I think they are the same because they share the same port shape. However, don't worry, I will search about it and get the differences. You gave me some guidelines to search about.
USB Type-C is a connector.

USB Type-C is remarkable because it can be used to provide so many things:
  • USB data (of course)
  • DisplayPort audio/video
  • HDMI audio/video
  • Power, up to 100 Watts
  • Thunderbolt
AND, USB Type-C is a reversible connector, so it's easier to attach.

The problem is this: When someone says, "This device supports USB Type-C," they are telling you NOTHING, because every feature is optional. So you have to find out what features the device supports with its USB-C connector, AND you have to get a USB Type-C cable which supports those features.

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
USB Type-C is a connector.

USB Type-C is remarkable because it can be used to provide so many things:
  • USB data (of course)
  • DisplayPort audio/video
  • HDMI audio/video
  • Power, up to 100 Watts
  • Thunderbolt
AND, USB Type-C is a reversible connector, so it's easier to attach.

The problem is this: When someone says, "This device supports USB Type-C," they are telling you NOTHING, because every feature is optional. So you have to find out what features the device supports with its USB-C connector, AND you have to get a USB Type-C cable which supports those features.
What if I am not willing to get power?
I don't know why, but I feel like it is better to use the regular 96W charger that is designed for my laptop. Moreover, when I did my research, I found out that there is an issue named pin 20 power issue which damages the GPU. That's why I am thinking of buying a cable without the capability to deliver power, or buying HDMI 2.1 not DisplayPort 2.1. By the way, I am not finding a lot of DisplayPort 2.1 that supports high frequency from a reputable brand name. In the other hand, I am finding HDMI 2.1 that is capable of high frequencies.

I decided to buy this adapter:

And this cable:

And to follow this guide:
DP/USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4 to HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz RGB4:4:4 10b HDR with Apple Silicon M1/M2 now possible !

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for your precious time, I really appreciate it.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
What if I am not willing to get power?
I don't know why, but I feel like it is better to use the regular 96W charger that is designed for my laptop. Moreover, when I did my research, I found out that there is an issue named pin 20 power issue which damages the GPU. That's why I am thinking of buying a cable without the capability to deliver power, or buying HDMI 2.1 not DisplayPort 2.1. By the way, I am not finding a lot of DisplayPort 2.1 that supports high frequency from a reputable brand name. In the other hand, I am finding HDMI 2.1 that is capable of high frequencies.

I decided to buy this adapter:

And this cable:

And to follow this guide:
DP/USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4 to HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz RGB4:4:4 10b HDR with Apple Silicon M1/M2 now possible !

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for your precious time, I really appreciate it.
That solution converts displayport to HDMI, so the laptop is still sending displayport. Not worth the expense and complexity unless your display is HDMI-only.

You don’t have to combine power with the other features. You can use the Apple power adapter by itself for power.

Ambitions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
That solution converts displayport to HDMI, so the laptop is still sending displayport. Not worth the expense and complexity unless your display is HDMI-only.

You don’t have to combine power with the other features. You can use the Apple power adapter by itself for power.
That was written in this guide:

The guide is saying to buy this adapter and patch its firmware to a custom firmware, so that it enhances the output of the laptop.

The display has one DisplayPort 2.1 and three HDMI. HDMI1 is an old version, and HDMI2 and HDMI3 are v2.1.

While researching, I found out that there is a mode named Picture-by-Picture (PbP), does it mean that I can buy two adapters and two cables to connect all of them to acheive 7680x2160 @ 120/240 Hz? I will research about it now.

Regarding power, how to prevent the adapter from delivering power?
I think once you connect the adapter/dock to the ThunderBolt port, then it will deliver power, because I can charge and use other purposes via the four ThunderBolt 3 ports I have.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
That was written in this guide:

The guide is saying to buy this adapter and patch its firmware to a custom firmware, so that it enhances the output of the laptop.

The display has one DisplayPort 2.1 and three HDMI. HDMI1 is an old version, and HDMI2 and HDMI3 are v2.1.

While researching, I found out that there is a mode named Picture-by-Picture (PbP), does it mean that I can buy two adapters and two cables to connect all of them to acheive 7680x2160 @ 120/240 Hz? I will research about it now.

Regarding power, how to prevent the adapter from delivering power?
I think once you connect the adapter/dock to the ThunderBolt port, then it will deliver power, because I can charge and use other purposes via the four ThunderBolt 3 ports I have.
I think the 800 pound gorilla here is whether you can get 7680x2160. I have no idea. I don’t think using HDMI will help because your computer is sending a DisplayPort signal either way.

Picture in Picture will not help you at all. PiP just displays a small video window on top of the main screen. You’re thinking that maybe you can use multi monitor with this screen, and maybe you can but you’d have to ask Samsung if that will work. Or maybe they’ll know if your laptop will work with a direct connection.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Think you need M2, M1 is no go. Too many issues with the G95NC. Keeping my 49 for abit, don't really want to upgrade my Mac Mini M1 to a Studio M2 yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.