1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

I need an application written...

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Ted Witcher, Feb 24, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I have a need for a relatively simple word-processing-type application. I have a png of an interface I'd like to see and an idea of the basic features. How do I have this written? A freelancer? A company that hires developers out? If you want something that can't be bought, where do you go to have it written?

2. macrumors 68040

mduser63

You could try MacFreelancer. I hope you realize going in that you're likely to pay quite a bit for what you're looking for.

3. macrumors 68000

Why contract someone when you can do it yourself? The articles are from 2004, so the interface is a little different compared to what you'll see now in Interface Builder but the concepts are the same.

http://www.rixstep.com/2/20040825,00.shtml

4. macrumors regular

Thanks. But this can't be easy at all, right?

5. macrumors 68000

The title of the article is "No Code Editor"

No code needs to be written. It's all click & drag in Interface Builder.

6. macrumors 68040

mduser63

True but you end up with an incredibly bare bones text editor (and I don't mean Bare Bones). It really is just an NSTextField in a window. I have a feeling the OP has more than that in mind. Perhaps you could explain your requirements in a little more detail OP?

FWIW, I have a shareware app that I recently released. I had the core functionality working literally within a couple hours of starting design on it. That was 1.5 years ago and I released version 1.0 last week. These no-code tutorials are impressive examples of what Cocoa does for you, but they really don't get you anywhere near a full-featured, useful app that has anything to differentiate it from numerous other apps with the same function.