Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winstonwolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I need to design some simple logos for several marketing sites I'm building, e.g. 'Dating Review Guide'. Problem is I'm highly design challenged! The logo's just need to say the name of the site and and one graphic - not complicated.

What easy to use software would you recommend that will allow me to create simple logos?

This one caught my eye:

http://www.macwareinc.com/products/LDSPro/overview.html

Any good? I know there's also websites out there that have inbuilt logo designers - any recommendations for those?

I know I could pay and get someone, but I have several of these to do and would like to do it myself.

Thanks.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Considering that its maker has only 2 reviews on its site, with one attributed to a random name, it might be better just to pay a pro to do it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm sure the members of the forum would be happy to help. :D

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
I can give you a personalized quote for my design services if you want, otherwise please find someone, even a high-school kid, with some design experience to help you.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
No charge... and worth every penny.

Attachments

• drg.gif
    drg.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,673

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
how about a celebrity spokesman?

Attachments

• 20101208-8keg2ukf1rsajqs8d7sqp3ww22.jpg
    20101208-8keg2ukf1rsajqs8d7sqp3ww22.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,627

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I need to design some simple logos for several marketing sites I'm building, e.g. 'Dating Review Guide'. Problem is I'm highly design challenged! The logo's just need to say the name of the site and and one graphic - not complicated.

What easy to use software would you recommend that will allow me to create simple logos?

Go to Staples and buy an easy button. :D

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
It really doesn't matter what software you use, because if you are "highly design challenged" then the results are more than likely going to be less than suitable for the purpose of promoting a brand/web site etc.

Stick to what you're good at and let a design professional create the logos. I know it's an expense but the results will be worth it in the long run.

And for your own sake please, please don't ask anyone here to do anything for you for free!!!:)

winstonwolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Thanks for all replies - didn't quite expect some of those responses - but hey - it's all good!

I guess the root my question was 'Is there any software out there that can help people design simple logo's, ie. walk them through it'. Looks like the answer is no! (BTW - Logo Designer Pro was being sold by Apple themselves until recently - now it's gone from their site).

I have Adobe CS5 for other stuff I do and I know Illustrator is the tool of choice for many in this regard, but it's really a massive sledge hammer to crack a nut. These logo's don't need to be stylish or 'design led' they just need to do a job and I like to be self sufficient where I can.

I'll keep looking/try to create some myself/pay someone.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I'll give you some advice... Whatever people say, logos are easy to create you should be able to get an awesome polished concept out within an hour.

Personally I think you need to make it colourful and lively by adding gradients, lensflares, dropshadows and the "wetfloor" look. That would look sweet.

Just do it as a wordmark in gimp because this will make it easier to create as an animated GIF. The font I would suggest is Arial or a thick slab-serif font like sketch Rockwell.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
For free, try gimp. It should be easy enough for you to pickup

For a logo? Not a chance in hell you would see me using that for any logo work. GIMP is not a good tool for making a vector graphic, not what its meant for. If your looking for a photoshop look a like, fine it will be close but photoshop will obviously still triumph.

Adobe Illustrator is the best bet and the "cheapest" in the long run. Don't use a raster based program for a vector design.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
He doesnt need a vector graphic, he just needs an image to go at the top of the site. Gimp is harder to use than Photoshop though, which he has, so theres no point in that.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Use Photoshop

Just use the copy of photoshop you have, set the DPI to 300 so you have a good size to scale it down from (at some later point if you need) and compose a simple word-logo to meet your deign objectives -- style it with a subtle gradient, while picking a half decent font to use (or go with Helvetica if you're stuck) and pick some decent colors, (no more than two colors is better) and you'll have something decent to use.

Last edited:

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
It really doesn't matter what software you use, because if you are "highly design challenged" then the results are more than likely going to be less than suitable for the purpose of promoting a brand/web site etc.

Stick to what you're good at and let a design professional create the logos. I know it's an expense but the results will be worth it in the long run.

And for your own sake please, please don't ask anyone here to do anything for you for free!!!:)

That pretty much is a fair statement to make, and probably the best advice you're going to get here. Good luck!

Oats

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New York
I'll give you some advice... Whatever people say, logos are easy to create you should be able to get an awesome polished concept out within an hour.

Personally I think you need to make it colourful and lively by adding gradients, lensflares, dropshadows and the "wetfloor" look. That would look sweet.

Just do it as a wordmark in gimp because this will make it easier to create as an animated GIF. The font I would suggest is Arial or a thick slab-serif font like sketch Rockwell.
wow that is funny. arial, animated gif, lens flares... oh and don't forget to use a websafe color palette!!

rostami011

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
hi

You can use photoshop's latest version to make logo's. I am using since 6th months and I saw that photoshop is an excellent for logo designs.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
You can use photoshop's latest version to make logo's. I am using since 6th months and I saw that photoshop is an excellent for logo designs.

No. I will stand firm on this, photoshop is NOT what REAL graphic designers use. It is not a vector based program, if I was a customer and a designer submitted a jpg of tiff for my logo, I would be pissed as hell. Adobe Illustrator is for making logos and other vector based graphics, simple.

Take a picture, use Photoshop. Simple.

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
No. I will stand firm on this, photoshop is NOT what REAL graphic designers use. It is not a vector based program, if I was a customer and a designer submitted a jpg of tiff for my logo, I would be pissed as hell. Adobe Illustrator is for making logos and other vector based graphics, simple.

Take a picture, use Photoshop. Simple.

I beg to differ on the matter, photoshop can be used to make logo's and then pushed over to illustrator to save them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.