Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

So I'm turning 16 a week today and I have GCSE exams going on till mid June. Then I have a glorious 3 month summer holiday in which I have little planned for, except maybe getting a job, haha. When I get back to school I'll be starting a Computing course, heavily revolved around programming.

What Im confused about is that the two books I have, 'Programing in Objective-C 2.0' and 'Learn C on the Mac' and I have read about 1/3 of each book, just dipped into them, and flicking through, how is it that I can build from this knowledge I'll gain from these books?

These only tell me so much, but is there more stuff I must learn? Or from this knowledge should I be able to build most simple apps? Also if I worked hard, could I learn enough during my summer holiday to be able to get a simple app made up? (Not your average calculator etc, something of my own personal preference if you know what I mean.)

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

RutgerB

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I followed a course on programming in C at the university and after that I started making (relatively simple) iPhone apps.

I did also have a basic knowledge on object-oriented programming.

If you have some basic knowledge of object-oriented programming and you're good at C you can definitely start programming iPhone apps by reading some tutorials, looking at some examples,...

But perhaps you could achieve this faster if you start right away with Objective - C, I don't know if that book expects any knowledge of another programming language...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.