Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
We have an iPad 3 which has been running awfully slow lately, and last night it appears to have died?

The batter was at 100% right before it died, so I don't think the battery is the issue.

When I hit the on/off button on top, I will get the apple logo, and then nothing; so could be a hardware or software issue.

Is there anyway to reset it from a black screen?

Thank you

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
You can try a hard reset: hold down both power & home buttons until it reboots, then release and let it try to finish booting up. But if that doesn't work, you may be best off taking it in to Apple. Their diagnostic tools will be able to tell if it's a hardware fault.

If you have a recent backup to restore from, and the above reset doesn't work, or if you don't care about what's on the device, you can try and see if you can get it into recovery mode. How to: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

If you succeed, you can try bumping it back into normal by holding power + home again to see if everything is fine, but most likely you'll need to DFU and then restore in iTunes--which will wipe everything on it. It's sort of a nuclear option for trying to fix it if it's a software issue, may not work and won't do anything if it's hardware.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.