Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I only clicked the 'confirm order' button 30 minutes ago, and already I can feel it... I spent a lot of money on another gadget, a new Macbook.

I have a desktop Hackintosh, a top-spec Macbook Pro, Macbook Air 11 and an iPad Air.

I justified the purchase to myself by saying I will sell the MBA and the iPad and that will pay for half of the new one at least. And the thought of never having to look at another non-retina/4k screen again is a nice thought.

I ordered from Amazon as well so I no likey, I can send it back within 30 days.

I said when they released the new Macbook it was just a touch-screen-less iPad with a keyboard and would never consider buying one. But the retina screen alone I am hoping will wow me enough into loving it.

It arrives tomorrow... FUN...NEW GADGETS TEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Good luck with it! :)

I recently got one off eBay for a pretty good price and I've liked it a lot. Unfortunately, I think there's a hardware issue with the USB port (the seller to his credit would not have known this) so I've a Genius Bar appointment this weekend.

I talked myself in and out of buying one and I really didn't *need* one (like you I've plenty of kit) but it's been a great buy, thus far.

As Ghost31 says above, keep us posted. :)

Reactions: Ghost31

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Owned a MBP 17, 15, 13, MBA in the past. In the process of selling my rMBP 13 now and bought a macbook 2 days ago and LOVING IT! I asked myself plenty times why would I want to downgrade if portability isn't a concern for me since I don't travel. Here's why: the KEYBOARD! I may be one of the few but I OMG LOVE THIS KEYBOARD SO MUCH. I tried it out at best buy and the flatness of the key is what makes it so good. It does not stress out my fingers when I type and I think in the long run that will help prevent arthritis.

Plus, the keyboard layout looks sexy

And if there is a new macbook in 2016? Big whoop, anyone who gets a macbook isn't going to do hardware intensive things. A newer CPU isn't going to make the web browsing experience or microsoft office better.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
Keep the iPad but sell the MacBook Air. That's a nice little set up congrats! Itching to order one of these but I've convinced myself my 2010 MBP has some life left..

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I love mine. Best purchase in 12 months.

Only downside is i get used to the keyboard, go to work and type on my 13 inch dell and it annoys me!!

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I will be sure to give my thoughts when I've had a chance to fiddle :)

Good luck with it! :)
I recently got one off eBay for a pretty good price and I've liked it a lot.

I have been checking eBay for a couple of weeks for one. In the UK there were a couple of auctions where they sold for like £640 (around $1000) and I was hoping to bag a bargain myself. I stayed up all last night cause there was an auction coming to an end in the early morning and wanted to try and get it. I put a top bid of £811 hoping it would catch anyone trying to outbid me at £810 in the last seconds. Right up until the last 60 seconds I was on for winning the auction for £700, then some bitch ass put in a bid of £830 and won it. Was sooooo pissed.

I then decided, sod it, I am just gonna order one from Amazon. I could wait weeks for a cheap bargain on eBay. I had to have one now, lol. Impulsive spending. Hence the possible buyers remorse.

Unfortunately, I think there's a hardware issue with the USB port (the seller to his credit would not have known this) so I've a Genius Bar appointment this weekend.

I take it this is a fault unique to yours and not a fault that affects all rMB's? Hope it's an easy fix.

Owned a MBP 17, 15, 13, MBA in the past. In the process of selling my rMBP 13 now and bought a macbook 2 days ago and LOVING IT! I asked myself plenty times why would I want to downgrade if portability isn't a concern for me since I don't travel. Here's why: the KEYBOARD! I may be one of the few but I OMG LOVE THIS KEYBOARD SO MUCH. I tried it out at best buy and the flatness of the key is what makes it so good. It does not stress out my fingers when I type and I think in the long run that will help prevent arthritis.

Plus, the keyboard layout looks sexy

And if there is a new macbook in 2016? Big whoop, anyone who gets a macbook isn't going to do hardware intensive things. A newer CPU isn't going to make the web browsing experience or microsoft office better.

Sweet. I am sure I will love it. I use my MBA here and there, but I think it really is just because my eyes are so used to retina screens, that using a non-retina screen just sucks all the joy out of using it.

I only spent a couple of minutes typing on the keyboard when I was in the Apple Store. It is something that is obviously going to take anyone time to get used to... but I think that is the same of any new keyboard, regardless of how much the keys travel etc.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I have been checking eBay for a couple of weeks for one. In the UK there were a couple of auctions where they sold for like £640 (around $1000) and I was hoping to bag a bargain myself. I stayed up all last night cause there was an auction coming to an end in the early morning and wanted to try and get it. I put a top bid of £811 hoping it would catch anyone trying to outbid me at £810 in the last seconds. Right up until the last 60 seconds I was on for winning the auction for £700, then some bitch ass put in a bid of £830 and won it. Was sooooo pissed.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me, too! I went off on honeymoon at the end of June and thought that one of these would be good to take along with me but in the weeks prior to going, I always got outbid at the last minute on several of them; so I bravely gave up! :D

This one (I'm replying on it) is a 1.3 and I put in a speculative bid, not really expecting to win it but I had a pleasant surprise!

I take it this is a fault unique to yours and not a fault that affects all rMB's? Hope it's an easy fix.

It has erratic USB issues and only seems to perform consistently when the adapters are upside down... I know with USB-C there isn't really an upside down but usually on the adapters there's an obvious underside and it's done the same thing with four adapters now. I'm not sure what the Genius will say, my expectations are it'll be sent away. When I've run diagnostics on it, it doesn't think the power adapter is connected, even when it is. So, my suspicion is that there's a fault on the port but we shall see.

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance, I've found that I've used it quite a lot. The only two things I'm a bit iffy with are I keep hitting the ` key when I'm going for the shift key and I really miss magsafe! Maybe I've been lucky but so far with all my Apple purchases I've quickly got over any spending guilt/buyer's remorse as I get a lot of use out of my kit. (Or maybe I just tell myself that so I can sleep at night? :D)

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Ah yes. MagSafe. I think then dropping It is the silliest moves.

Its an arse cause the moment I have chargers that work on my rMBP and MBA dotted around the house so I don't have to unplug the charger if I move rooms.

There is a kickstarter project called ZNAPS that I've backed that brings MagSafe type connectors to iPhones, iPad and MicroUSB. Perhaps someone will create an adapter that plugs into the USB-C port and let's you connect MagSafe adapters?

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I'm waiting on mine, est. delivery Aug. 20. Can't freaking wait! It won't be my main computer though, as I use an iMac to work on. But for whenever I'm not at home, or on the couch etc, it will be perfect I'm sure!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Its an arse cause the moment I have chargers that work on my rMBP and MBA dotted around the house so I don't have to unplug the charger if I move rooms.

There is a kickstarter project called ZNAPS that I've backed that brings MagSafe type connectors to iPhones, iPad and MicroUSB. Perhaps someone will create an adapter that plugs into the USB-C port and let's you connect MagSafe adapters?

On the other hand, if you have any iPad chargers or similar lying around the house, you can charge the MacBook with those just by buying a cable for a few dollars. They charge slow, but work.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
you had better take another careful look at return policy at amazon for computers. i think it has drastically changed. if you open the box and play with it you face a restocking fee of 15%. That is a relatively new policy from my understanding. A best buy purchase is safer only because there is a no questions asked 14 day return policy and maybe a bit longer if you are a silver member.

I only clicked the 'confirm order' button 30 minutes ago, and already I can feel it... I spent a lot of money on another gadget, a new Macbook.

I have a desktop Hackintosh, a top-spec Macbook Pro, Macbook Air 11 and an iPad Air.

I justified the purchase to myself by saying I will sell the MBA and the iPad and that will pay for half of the new one at least. And the thought of never having to look at another non-retina/4k screen again is a nice thought.

I ordered from Amazon as well so I no likey, I can send it back within 30 days.

I said when they released the new Macbook it was just a touch-screen-less iPad with a keyboard and would never consider buying one. But the retina screen alone I am hoping will wow me enough into loving it.

It arrives tomorrow... FUN...NEW GADGETS TEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE[/QUO

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
you had better take another careful look at return policy at amazon for computers. i think it has drastically changed. if you open the box and play with it you face a restocking fee of 15%. That is a relatively new policy from my understanding. A best buy purchase is safer only because there is a no questions asked 14 day return policy and maybe a bit longer if you are a silver member.
BestBuy Elite members can return a computer within 30 days, Elite + have 45 days. This is why I prefer buying all my Apple devices at BestBuy.

I used my 15" 2015 Retina MBP with 256 SSD for 25 days till they finally had the 512GB model in stock. I exchanged it with no problems.

I have never had a problem exchanging anything at BestBuy and I never have returned anything there for a refund.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011

I've backed this - Should make life easier. Was only like 9 dollars as well

JamesKPolk

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
Baltimore, MD
FWIW, just got one, and can't get over how much I love it. Not one stutter or hang up yet (mind you, I do simple things) and I think it runs multiple spaces smoother than my 2013 15"...

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015

Amazon is not friendly with laptop returns. I tried to return a laptop because of a dead pixel, they wouldn't do it. I've returned other stuff on Amazon and rarely had a problem, not until I bought a (PC) laptop. They told me to talk to the manufacturer.

I bought a Macbook Pro (no retina MBP at that time) at an Apple store a several years back and I told the guy I want to buy it but I'm going to open it right there and check for dead pixels. If there was a dead pixel, I want an immediate exchange in the store. He agreed. I bought it, opened it, no dead pixel. I left happy.

A few years ago, I did the same for my iPad Air when it first came out. Same deal, no bad pixels. I still have that iPad. Don't think I'll be buying another iPad. Looking forward to upgrade my iPhone 5s to 6s. Then I won't have any use for that iPad or my 5s (bought unlocked, full price). What to do with old hardware...

I don't blame Amazon though, they are only a retailer. Apple is the manufacturer and seller of their own product, so you are dealing directly with the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006

I just checked the returns policy and it appears that the returning of the Macbook would fall under their 'Computing' category which is 30 days. I am in the UK remember, might be different to over the pond.

To be honest, I really don't think it will be going back. I have only spent a couple of hours playing on it so far. My initial thoughts:

• The Keyboard: Undoubtedly different. It feels like it's inbetween of being a normal keyboard and a touch screen keyboard. You get the tactile response from pressing the keys, but they really do not move all that much. It is quite weird to type on. I am not writing at my usual touch typing speed but not far off. I think the fact that the keys are bigger with less room between each key doesn't help. Harder to judge by touch where keys are without looking sometimes. So I don't mind the keyboard and I am sure it will grow even more on me.
  • The Screen: Ohhhh yes. This is the money shot for me. It is the only real reason I wanted a rMB. My eyes have become so accustomed to seeing crisp text on my retina Apple screens and my Dell 4K monitor, using the MB Air's screen was killing me. Another massive bonus with the rMB is the 16:10 ratio. Them extra vertical pixels really do make all the difference.
  • Performance: I've not had chance to give it something to think about yet. I have been installing apps, browsing the web, watching Youtube videos, all perfectly acceptable. I have noticed that it is not as fast as my Macbook Pro (obv) and maybe a tiny bit slower than my MBA, but this may be all in my head. Either way, I bought the rMB on the understanding that it wasn't a powerhouse.
  • Trackpad: Love the trackpad. If you didn't know it wasn't a haptic, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a normal trackpad and this. The one thing that I'm a bit miffed at is the lack of 3 Finger Dragging. I know I can enable it through Accessibility, but it doesn't behave as it does on my MBP. It has a slight delay at the end of the dragging action which is quite annoying. I can learn to live with it though I guess.

So yes, so far impressed. Is it worth £1049? From performance side of things, no definitely not. But I can understand the high price tag as it is clearly a well designed and built computer. I think the starting price should have been around £700 personally. But what do I know :)

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I Is it worth £1049? From performance side of things, no definitely not. But I can understand the high price tag as it is clearly a well designed and built computer. I think the starting price should have been around £700 personally. But what do I know :)

He he, join the crowd. Way overpriced, but what else is new, right?

But complain yes. After all, we pay for the privilege. ;)

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
You are paying for the engineering. Just the same way the first MBA that came out with SSD was almost $3000. Now the MBA is much faster and better, at less than 1/3 that price.

I can imagine in a few years, the Macbook will be at least 2-3x faster than the current MBP (2-3 generations after Skylake CPU), at a starting price of $499. And of course fanless.

But you still might only get 720p camera, because Apple. :p

Last edited:

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
You are paying for the engineering. Just the same way the first MBA that came out with SSD was almost $3000. Now the MBA is much faster and better, at less than 1/3 that price.

I can imagine in a few years, the Macbook will be at least 2-3x faster than the current MBP (2-3 generations after Skylake CPU), at a starting price of $499. And of course fanless.

But you still might only get 720p camera, because Apple. :p
Really? Come on, I really love Apple's products as well but I sincerely doubt their laptops will ever drop to that low of a price. Remember, Apple is all about the profit margins. That being said, I never shy away from their products just because of the "Apple tax.";)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Really? Come on, I really love Apple's products as well but I sincerely doubt their laptops will ever drop to that low of a price. Remember, Apple is all about the profit margins. That being said, I never shy away from their products just because of the "Apple tax.";)

People still use "Apple tax"?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
No buyer's remorse with mine. The idea of having the least powered MacBook is off-putting at first, but I've run into zero performance issues.

Reactions: Flunkyturtle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.