Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
Well at work today everyone loved the phone. In my world I've always kept my phone in my purse, use 2 hands, Bluetooth & hands free in the car. Nothing's changed in my use except now I can actually read books comfortably on the 6+. I'm not interested in exchanging for something I don't like or want to get $$. I don't think I look like a fool and that's really the only opinion that matters.

Nothing wrong with the 6. It's also a great phone - I know my husband would choose that over the 6+ for pocketability. Having a choice is always a great thing. Bashing others who choose different is not very mature. I'm convinced there's a bunch of kids on this forum.

Says so in your name /truth

Suspended
Sep 11, 2014
Funniest thing about threads like this is Apple actually offers a 4.7 version people acting like this is their only option. Just think... do you want a phone you will need 2 hands with or dont you

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
People, this is not a one handed device. Once you get over that mental hump, it's just an awesome device. But that's a significant mental hump because it means you'll have to reprogram your brain after all these years of using one hand.

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
Funniest thing about threads like this is Apple actually offers a 4.7 version people acting like this is their only option. Just think... do you want a phone you will need 2 hands with or dont you

It's mainly the ones who feel arrogant and contemptuous of others preferences.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You bought a huge phone. You're disappointed it's huge. You started a thread about it.

My brain decided to read this in Morgan Freeman's voice. I wasn't disappointed.

In all seriousness, people around here need to learn to let others enjoy what they want to enjoy. Stop trying to convince everyone that your phone is the "better" phone- it may work for you, but everyone has different wants and needs.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

In all seriousness, people around here need to learn to let others enjoy what they want to enjoy. Stop trying to convince everyone that your phone is the "better" phone- it may work for you, but everyone has different wants and needs.

In this case I would issue a sarcastic reply to anyone that knew what they purchased, or ought to have known, and then returned it (them) for the same reason that inspired purchase. I'm not making an issue with the op's choice of phone. It's the behaviour.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I believe that everyone who returns their iPhone 6+ will reconsider their move once they go 6. There's something magnetic about this large screen, like the original iPhone.

If they don't get it now, they'll get it eventually. :)

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
I believe that everyone who returns their iPhone 6+ will reconsider their move once they go 6. There's something magnetic about this large screen, like the original iPhone.

If they don't get it now, they'll get it eventually. :)

I didn't get it with the note, I'm sure as hell not getting it with the plus.. A stylus moniker should have been at least thought of

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009

I feel that Apple didn't do a proper job introducing the 6 Plus. If Steve Jobs was still around he would explain the differences between the two devices in detail. With Cook we basically got a far too brief introduction.

For instance we are shown the new landscape mode for notes or messages BUT we are not told that it's less usable than portrait mode because so little text is displayed on screen.

On a similar note we are shown accessibly mode but we are not told that is it 100% impossible to use applications like Safari without using it constantly or repositioning your hand in a position that causes muscle cramps.

Furthermore KEY facts like being unable to fit it into small pockets or that it gets tiring holding your hand up with the phone were completely ignored.

I was 80% aware of the problems with the 6 Plus so if you read my other thread--which I am sure you didn't--you would see that I ordered a 6 for myself. I got the 6 Plus for my parents believing that the pros would outweigh the cons for them. Well that turned out to not be the case and after using the Plus for 3 days I came to the conclusions in my original post.

Basically what I am trying to say is they didn't do a good enough job informing me or other people of the 6 Plus. Which sucks because as another poster said 'people always want the biggest and best' so A LOT of people will buy this phone and end up returning it because they were uninformed consumers.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I feel that Apple didn't do a proper job introducing the 6 Plus. If Steve Jobs was still around he would explain the differences between the two devices in detail. With Cook we basically got a far too brief introduction.

I know people hate to hear anything mentioning Steve, but I feel like he would have forced the design of the 4.7" to be smaller/thinner before release. It's a bigger phone but it's not innovative at all.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

For instance we are shown the new landscape mode for notes or messages BUT we are not told that it's less usable than portrait mode because so little text is displayed on screen.

On a similar note we are shown accessibly mode but we are not told that is it 100% impossible to use applications like Safari without using it constantly or repositioning your hand in a position that causes muscle cramps.

Furthermore KEY facts like being unable to fit it into small pockets or that it gets tiring holding your hand up with the phone were completely ignored.

I was 80% aware of the problems with the 6 Plus so if you read my other thread--which I am sure you didn't--you would see that I ordered a 6 for myself. I got the 6 Plus for my parents believing that the pros would outweigh the cons for them. Well that turned out to not be the case and after using the Plus for 3 days I came to the conclusions in my original post.

Basically what I am trying to say is they didn't do a good enough job informing me or other people of the 6 Plus. Which sucks because as another poster said 'people always want the biggest and best' so A LOT of people will buy this phone and end up returning it because they were uninformed consumers.

You honestly think Steve would have introduced a "great" new phone and features then tell you about it's shortcomings? You mean Steve "you're holding it wrong" Jobs?

No.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
You honestly think Steve would have introduced a "great" new phone and features then tell you about it's shortcomings? You mean Steve "you're holding it wrong" Jobs?

No.
Honestly Steve wouldn't have introduced either the Plus or the Watch. BUT IF HE WAS GONNA INTRODUCE THE PLUS, I'm 100% sure he would have done a better job telling people about the shortcomings; he was really good at spinning stuff around aka marketing.

Ya that whole iPhone 4 situation sucked. I personally feel he didn't have a choice. All the test iPhones were used with cases so they overlooked the issue with using the phone naked. Then if he issued a recall it would have destroyed Apple's reputation so we got screwed. Still my 4 was more usable than the 6 Plus.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Honestly Steve wouldn't have introduced either the Plus or the Watch. BUT IF HE WAS GONNA INTRODUCE THE PLUS, I'm 100% sure he would have done a better job telling people about the shortcomings; he was really good at spinning stuff around aka marketing.

Ya that whole iPhone 4 situation sucked. I personally feel he didn't have a choice. All the test iPhones were used with cases so they overlooked the issue with using the phone naked. Then if he issued a recall it would have destroyed Apple's reputation so we got screwed. Still my 4 was more usable than the 6 Plus.

Lets just agree to disagree. I can't think of one negative aspect of anything Apple that Steve ever mentioned - let alone talked about in a Keynote launching said device or service.

If you can, please enlighten me.

Not everything he launched was a success. The Cube was a complete flop, iCloud/MobileMe has had a massive identity crisis since its inception and Ping, if anybody even remembers it, will go down in history as the least successful social network ever. Not to mention the iPhone 4 antenna issue as referenced in my previous post. Apple may have offered free cases around but Steve never said "mea culpa" once.

And I don't get why he was so revered as a presenter. He had 4 adjectives - nice, great, really nice and really great.

Don't get me wrong. He was a genius and I loved 90% of the stuff he brought out, but the guy was stubborn and arrogant. He was the one who said the ideal phone size was 3.5" and tablet was 9.7". Look how well the larger iPhones and iPad mini are selling.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Lets just agree to disagree. I can't think of one negative aspect of anything Apple that Steve ever mentioned - let alone talked about in a Keynote launching said device or service.

If you can, please enlighten me.

I could see Steve saying 'Oh yes now this iPhone 6 PLUS is just a pleasure to use with both hands.... with the iPhone 6 you are able to do all your tasks conveniently with one hand...'

Tim Cook completely failed to segregate the 2 products apart and really connect with consumers about the pros (explicigty stated) and cons (implied) about the devices.

Don't get me wrong. He was a genius and I loved 90% of the stuff he brought out, but the guy was stubborn and arrogant. He was the one who said the ideal phone size was 3.5" and tablet was 9.7". Look how well the larger iPhones and iPad mini are selling.

They were selling a 3.5" iPhone so of course it was the perfect size. I never believed he really meant that. Apple likes making profit so it makes sense for them to string out updates over the years instead of just cutting to the chase and skimping themselves on upgrades in the future (cough samsung galaxy s4 -> s5). Basically he was always gong to make a larger screen just after he milked everyone for all the money he could.

But seriously if you don't understand how important Steve was and how different (and worse IMO) Tim is a CEO then there is no way I'll be able to convince you.

Last edited:

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
You really had to make a thread to justify your return?
Here since you obviously need guidance. YOU MADE THE RIGHT MOVE.

happy?

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Well guys I finally did it. I had to wait in line for 6 hours but it was completely worth getting rid of those abominations. Why? Because EVERY app places the guide buttons on the top and the button of the screen. And with the 6 Plus it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the top buttons without

A) Shimming the phone in your hand = inconvenient, carpel tunnel, and high chance of dropping

B) Using accessibly mode = inconvenient.

Furthermore:

C) Heavy and weight is spread out around your entire hand (unlike the 4S where it is concentrated in your palm) so holding it vertical is very fatiguing on your hand muscles.

D) Landscape mode sucks.

We were shown this:

and we got this:

Seriously, 25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape. It's basically unusable.

E) Accelerometer is too sensitive. I'd find myself accidentally switching to widescreen mode on the home screen way too often.

For you guys wondering about my specs, I am 6'2 with slightly longer than average aka "piano player" fingers. I'd wager only Shaq and a few other NBA players can hold a 6 Plus comfortably without ANY sacrifices.

Cliff Notes:

Pros: Great battery life, awesome screen [reading], good camera

Cons: Unusable with one-hand; (Apple) software is lacking.

Ummm they showed you messaging and you posted email...

I got what you posted was shown

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411629776.755944.jpg

I love the phone all 5'8" of me can handle the phone just fine. Really it's preference

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I could see Steve saying 'Oh yes now this iPhone 6 PLUS is just a pleasure to use with both hands.... with the iPhone 6 you are able to do all your tasks conveniently with one hand...'

Tim Cook completely failed to segregate the 2 products apart and really connect with consumers about the pros (explicigty stated) and cons (implied) about the devices.

They were selling a 3.5" iPhone so of course it was the perfect size. I never believed he really meant that. Apple likes making profit so it makes sense for them to string out updates over the years instead of just cutting to the chase and skimping themselves on upgrades in the future (cough samsung galaxy s4 -> s5). Basically he was always gong to make a larger screen just after he milked everyone for all the money he could.

But seriously if you don't understand how important Steve was and how different (and worse IMO) Tim is a CEO then there is no way I'll be able to convince you.

Yeah, whatevs.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

(In Morgan Freeman's Voice):

But we all soon realized, the 6 IS better.

It can display without downscaling, doesn't have a funky vibrator noisy enough to be its own ringtone, is usable in one OR two hands, costs 100 bucks less, bends less easily, pockets more easily, it just goes on and on...

But keep telling yourself the bigger screen is "worth it". Sure do make enough sacrifices to have it...

I'm Morgan Freeman, and I chose the 6

(He really did too btw, lol)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
In this case I would issue a sarcastic reply to anyone that knew what they purchased, or ought to have known, and then returned it (them) for the same reason that inspired purchase. I'm not making an issue with the op's choice of phone. It's the behaviour.

I agree completely. Those considering the 6 Plus should try to spend at least a few minutes with one before buying it.

----------

(In Morgan Freeman's Voice):

But we all soon realized, the 6 IS better.

It can display without downscaling, doesn't have a funky vibrator noisy enough to be its own ringtone, is usable in one OR two hands, costs 100 bucks less, bends less easily, pockets more easily, it just goes on and on...

But keep telling yourself the bigger screen is "worth it". Sure do make enough sacrifices to have it...

I'm Morgan Freeman, and I chose the 6

(He really did too btw, lol)

I chose the 6 for many of the reasons you listed. But others may not care about the downscaling, for example. Some people might be okay with giving up one-handed use and may never need to put their phone in their pocket.

You just can't take your criteria for phones and apply it to everyone else, because some people have different needs. Even if Morgan Freeman may enjoy the 6...

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Geez, this thread...

OP is correct - the issue is that the landscape stock applications on the 6Plus are generally not designed very well.

Having a Notes app that decides to dedicate a third of it's window on a 5.5" phone to a largely irrelevant list so the actual note you are typing gets *less* display space than it did on a 4 inch phone is really bad design (and indeed you got more text on a 3.5" screen!).

A lot of the redesign for bigger devices feels badly felt out. Contact pictures are nice, but by and large should be on smaller devices. A lot of the extra menus are just clunky on a phablet.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Decided not to go and collect my reserved iPhone 6+ today, then received a call from my son who told me he's cancelled his order for a new iPhone 6+.

He's going to continue with his iPhone 5 and I'm going to carry on with my iPhone 5s.

My next upgrade will now probably be the 6s, but only when apple pay is working in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.