Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Ok there is something seriously wrong with my iBook G4 1.07 GHz. I'll start at the Beginning....I bought my iBook 2 summers ago. It worked great. I had panther on it until Tiger came out and I upgraded it and added another 256 mb stick. It seemed a little slower with tiger...but w/e. Now fast-forward... and for the past weeks it has been slow as a snail with everthing fom typing to internet to basic finder viewing. Then I couldn't download anything from the internet...I would always get an error during downloading no-matter what file. Apps just start quiting or never start. I decide to do a clean install of Tiger...after the install Same thing...slow, apps quiting...blah. So I do the Apple hardware test Twice and everything passes including my 256 extra RAM. Since the iBook would do nothing I decided to to a clean install of PANTHER..wooh retro. Installs fine and I still have a terribly slow iBook that literally takes 5-10 min. to just boot up. I decide to remove the extra RAM, so i'm back to 256. I try running Software update...but it always freezes, or stops downloading the combined 10.3.9 update half-way trough the download. So I try downloading the update via apple.com. But nope, Safari won't let me download any Files...just stops at like 8 kb and says can't download or unsupported file type?!?! IDK what to do...IT IS SOO SLOW!...sorry.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sounds like your hard drive could be at fault... have you tried running Disk Utility from your install disk? Put the disk in and restart holding down the 'C' button and then run Disk Repair to see if it throws up any problems.

It's extremely unlikely that you have a virus.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Sounds like your hard drive could be at fault... have you tried running Disk Utility from your install disk? Put the disk in and restart holding down the 'C' button and then run Disk Repair to see if it throws up any problems.

It's extremely unlikely that you have a virus.
ok...i'm restarting now...

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
wow...its taking over 5 min. to turn off the computer to restart...geez. Spining, spinning circle...

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
screw it...i held down the power button...it wasn't going to restart any time soon...

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
boot of your software cds (by pressing c while the comp is starting up and the cd is inserted), after that go to the disk utility program in the cd and check if your harddrive has been messed up

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
My brother has the excactly same iBook as you. 1.07 GHz G4, 14". He only got the original 256 MB though, but lately he tells he has been having some problems too, with it going slower and sh*t. He says it takes near 90 seconds to boot, while it was more 40-50 secs. when he first got it. Try to defrag your HDD at first. If not, I would get a new HD, or a spankin' new MacBook!:D

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
dextertangocci said:
I say it's time to upgrade to a MB:cool:

LOL- I guess I'm way overdue than, I'm still using G3 iBook... Believe it or not, this thing still runs fine for what I do with it..Obviously no video editing or anything major... I've thought about upgrading because I'm tired of looking at it ;-)... Maybe the next macbook revision...

To the OP,
Have you solved your problem? I'm curious if it was the HD... If it was, is that something that's covered under warranty?... I hope so...

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Ok...I booted off the CD and ran Disk Utility. It would let me run Verify and Repair Disk permissions...which said a few things permissions were screwed up and fixed them. But whenever I click repiar or verify disk, it says: "error, cannont verify/repair disk because Macintosh HD cannot be unmounted." So I can't actually repair it. I am going to give Apple a call later today because I have Apple care with one year left...

smeegs

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2002
Edinburgh/Belfast
Full HD?

AlmightyG5 said:
Ok...I booted off the CD and ran Disk Utility. It would let me run Verify and Repair Disk permissions...which said a few things permissions were screwed up and fixed them. But whenever I click repiar or verify disk, it says: "error, cannont verify/repair disk because Macintosh HD cannot be unmounted." So I can't actually repair it. I am going to give Apple a call later today because I have Apple care with one year left...

Out of interest, is your Hard Drive almost full. It sounds like the behaviour you tend to get when the there is little space left on the disk, and the OS is trying to move things in and out of VM.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
smeegs said:
Out of interest, is your Hard Drive almost full. It sounds like the behaviour you tend to get when the there is little space left on the disk, and the OS is trying to move things in and out of VM.
No...When I installed Panther I did a clean install...wiped everything. All 27gb are left. Another weird thing that happens is when you click mail or iPhoto, the dock and the menubar says that it is open...but no windows pop up. And then when i tell them to quit they won't so I have to force quit them.

Infinity

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
Perth, Australia
You can probably rule out virus since your reinstalled OSX 10.3/10.4 (Erase and Install not Archive and Install??)

You've mentioned you took out extra memory and you have the remaining 256Mb left which I assume was soldered to the logic board. I suspect what some other posted have suspected, it could be your harddrive is on the brink since you said it wouldn't even unmount for verify and repair or otherwise your logic board which in that case I hope you have applecare.

either way hope you get your issues fixed.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
There has only been ONE virus for OS X.

And most people wouldn't call it a virus.

The virus only affected those with 10.4.4 (I believe) and only 30 people downloaded it. An estimated ZERO to TWO people were affected. It was patched in a week.

Meaning if you didn't download it in that thread, you don't have it.

Also, it didn't transfer without chatting over Bonjour and then the person accepting the file, which no one does anyway.

Lastly, all it did was insert random blocks of code into the iLife apps. A simple iLife reinstall would fix everything.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Is there any way we can set a rule here at MR to prevent users from crying out "virus!" without some sort of definitive proof?

I don't mean to be rude or insulting, but the only thing I can really think to say is "knock it off, you don't have a virus" and if you really, truly, honestly think you do, explain your symptoms and let a mod here initiate the use of the V word. There are so many things that can go wrong in ANY OS. Windows slowdowns often point to infections of some sort, whereas OSX slowdowns don't. Can we stop crying wolf, yet?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you've completely erased your hard drive and reinstalled OSX, and Disk Utility still reports un-repairable drive issues, then the drive is kaputt. Replacing it is the solution.

I agree, people who automatically assume that their Mac has a "virus" whenever the hardware acts up should be hung by their thumbs and flogged with wet macaroni until they giggle uncontrollably. No other punishment will do. ;)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah, it can't be a virus, and since it is very likely it is your hd, just replace it and you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.