Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
since ppc apps slow an intel machine, it would be nice to have a growl sticky to alert me when one is launched.

every once in awhile i'll notice in activity monitor that a ppc app is active -- usually just translate ppc -- but that's only when i remember to check activity monitor, and i can never remember which app invoked it. i quit process on translate and not notice any harm done or other apps crach or anything, and it stays gone for a good while. then it appears again. i want to know what made it come back and when. a growl sticky would help with the when.

and "no" i don't know anything about writing little thingies like that. the days of having to know all the intricacies of how a computer works have been over for years since i got a mac -- i can just do what i want to do and not worry about things (i don't need to know how a refrigerator works in order to get my beer cold).

a pc owner could not imagine not having to know how his computer works, because if he doesn't know enough, his pc won't work. an apple works flawlessly -- even for dummies like me.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Actually PPC apps runs decently fast for me... for a while I thought they are ass slow but it turns out to be due to my secured virtual memory.

thanx iWOOt, i was waiting for you. it seems you can always be depended upon to answer with helpful advice.
but now, i need an explanation of secured virtual memory, waht it means for me, and what if anything i should do about it.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
thanx iWOOt, i was waiting for you. it seems you can always be depended upon to answer with helpful advice.
but now, i need an explanation of secured virtual memory, waht it means for me, and what if anything i should do about it.

Did you have it turned on to start with?

You can check to see if it is on in System Preferences -> Security.

Well basically what happens is when your computer does not have enough physical memory it will shift stuff out of memory and write them to hard disk as needed to make room for your currently active applications. When you tick secured physical memory the data is written encrypted to your hard disk, so it incurs an overhead as memory contents are paged out onto the hard drive as well as when they are subsequently moved in later.

I always thought the Core 2 CPUs are able to do this fast enough, but seems like I am wrong, with Rosetta applications it seems to be a huge difference. Huge as in Microsoft Word launching in 1 bounce and launching in 3 bounces, or feeling sluggish when you are typing. I guess when the old PowerPC instructions are dynamically translated in the Intel instruction sets memory latency plays a big factor or something, but I am not sure.

At best take it as anecdotal evidence, but that's what I noticed. :rolleyes:

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
thanx iWOOt

that clears up a good question. i was baffled about the "secured" part of the virtual memory. i checked and turned it off.
much thanx. i am sure it'll make a huge difference.

i still think it would be a nice sticky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.