Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Did a little searching around the forum and google and cant quite get a detailed enough search to find quite what I am looking for. I have a few videos, random funny stuff, music vids and some movies that are "Letterboxed" widescreen (with the black bars on top and bottom) and I would like them to be true widescreen so that I dont have to zoom or adjust when front row, itunes, :apple: TV or burning them to a DVD. Is there a converter , for MAC OSX of course, that will change them to a normal widescreen format? I would like not only a converter that could change normal video formats but possibly something that could change Video_TS files. I would like to know about any software, freeware or something with a cost. Thanx in advance guys.

Kevin

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
If you're watching a widescreen movie on your computer and you see letterboxing, it's because widescreen video is usually 16:9 and computer widescreens are 16:10. Either that you're your watching a feature film which has an aspect ratio of around 23:10

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
No no, I know exactly what is going on. This is a DVD that is in Letterbox. These are movies that actually have the Black bars as part of the video. So actually when you watch it on a Widescreen computer or TV that doesnt stretch it out it will show up as a small widescreen in the center of your screen. Black all the way around it unless you zoom it in or crop it. I am just hoping for a software that can crop it down for me and format it for widescreen so I dont have to adjust it when I watch those videos.

Kevin

Carrot007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Yorkshire
You presumably mean a non anamorphic widescreen DVD. ie a widescreen DVD formated the same as a widescreen VHS would be.

Unfortunatly this mean rather than gain resolution you lose resolution, but at least it's it the intended apect ratio!

I have a few DVDs like that, they are really annoying!

Anyway, yes you can convert it but you need an encoder where you can crop the source to get rid of the bars.

Unfortunatly I've not much knowledge on the mac side of things (I've moved a lot of what I do over to the mac side of things but not everything yet, still finding apps that suit me for things) but I've used tmpgenc on the pc to do this, and end up with a proper anomorphic dvd (because zoom widescreen looks bad on my tv, and the resultant dvd is a lot better!

If anyone knows of a good mac encoder where you can easily crop the source please tell and I'll be happy too, I use VisualHub for my mac encoding now and love it, although it doesn't appear to support more advanced things, but then again I don't need anything more 90% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.