Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have a credit card that has a balance of a couple of thousand dollars and has reached its overall spending limit. I can easily pay it off in the coming months so long as I halt my weekly dinners and movie outings but until then I would love to defer accumulating interest ad wanted to inquire here on MacRumors about potential avenues concerning transferring said balance to perhaps a 0% APR in the meantime.

If it makes any difference my card is currently with Capitol One but wouldn't mind moving that balance to say Citi, who I have an account with also. I've been a Capitol Customer for a year and a Citi customer for over 10.

I'd rather have that conversation here than on the phone with a bank representative who will try to sell me into one of their accounts.

Thank you!!!

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is a common transaction that can be accomplished easily. If you have a good credit rating and routinely use a credit card to make purchases then I assume you are getting offers for new cards and balance transfers in the mail. Generally, many of those offers will be for 0% and you should be able to simply use one of those. Keep in mind, there is going to be a fee associated with making the balance transfer. Typically these fees are 2-4% depending on the offer. Thus, you want to make sure that doing this is actually going to save you money as opposed to paying it off as quickly as you can.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Another vote for Chase Slate. I just helped a friend who was looking to consolidate his credit card debt into a 0% transfer. It was one of the only ones that didn't have a fee. Also don't forget to check credit unions. Sometimes they have some good offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.