Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
That is, the officer that was called by the wicked old witch downstairs that thinks the handicapped parking space outside our building is hers (the officer even said that she said it was hers in the testimony).

He gave his spiel....then I got to ask questions.

"Office Carr, were you able to see if the actual pavement portion of the parking spot was properly marked with the international handicapped symbol?"

"Uh, under the car?"

"Yes, were you able to ascertain that this spot was properly marked."

"No, I did not check the space."

"Officer Carr, did you check to see if the sign posted for the space was within 5 feet of the parking space per Anne Arundel code?"

"Uh, no."

"Officer Carr, did you attempt to notify the owner of the vehicle that it was parked in a handicapped spot?"

"There's no real way to do that withouth running the plate."

"Officer Carr, did you notice the two magnetic advertisement signs on the side of the aforementioned Honda Civic, which clearly state the name and phone number of the owner?"

"I did not notice those."

"Officer Carr, did you note that the handicapped sign was obscurred by foilage and the light on the front of the bilding was out making the sign invisible?"

"I saw the sign when the lady pointed it out to me."

"So you couldn't see the sign without her pointing it out to you?"

"I don't recall."

*Puts pictures on his desk*

"Is there an international handicapped sign on the parking spot in this picture?"

"No."

"Is the sign in this picture obscurred by foilage?"

"Yes."

The judge said "OK, that's enough...case dismissed."

It was a new spot they had just installed in front of my building that day and the witch downstairs called the cops on me. When they called the charges everyone looked at me like I was a mass murderer. Showed them. Heh.

100 freaking dollar fine. Hell no.

Just feel good about standing up to the man. I don't mind paying when I screw up, but when it ain't my fault...

Applespider

macrumors G4
Well done! I hope she was truly narked. What a waste of time/resources - yours and the courts!

I did something similar once. I got called up for not having a TV licence since when the inspectors came round, I couldn't find it (it was in the landlord's room in a shared property).

He sent a copy of it to the TV licensicing people but I still got a summons. So we went to court, I pleaded 'not guilty' and the judge was about to send it to a proper hearing when I said that it wouldn't it be a better use of public time and money to sort this out now while brandishing the licence.

It turned out that my landlord had been paying by direct debit with his bank details as being 334 (flat 4) King St but then decided to cancel that and buy it outright. The Post Office put it down as being Flat D, 334 King St so there was a big computer hole at 334 (4).

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Too bad there's no video of this, like on that Airline show you were on... that must have been an awesome experience. That's one of those stories you'll still be telling 30 years from now. :)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
ha! sweet job!

i get a kick out of protesting my tickets in dc... i've always at least gotten a reduction in fines... usually get off of them entirely... just have to be well spoken and make a logical case...

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
gwuMACaddict said:
ha! sweet job!

i get a kick out of protesting my tickets in dc... i've always at least gotten a reduction in fines... usually get off of them entirely... just have to be well spoken and make a logical case...

DC - don't get me started.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
iGary said:
DC - don't get me started.

one time, a judge told me, and i quote: "laws are arbitrarily enforced"

what!?

i asked him "who gets to decide, doesn't this lead to discrimination and favoritism?"... he got a stupid look on his face and asked me to leave. didnt have to pay though :D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
gwuMACaddict said:
one time, a judge told me, and i quote: "laws are arbitrarily enforced"

what!?

i asked him "who gets to decide, doesn't this lead to discrimination and favoritism?"... he got a stupid look on his face and asked me to leave. didnt have to pay though :D

I freaking hate DC laws. Backwards ass city. I did get out of the one ticket i really wasn't responsible for, though. Most people just pay, which is what they count on.

I wish they spent just a wee bit more time catching thieves and vandals.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
iGary said:
100 freaking dollar fine. Hell no.

Just feel good about standing up to the man. I don't mind paying when I screw up, but when it ain't my fault...

Nicely done! It may also serve as the inspiration for a law student joining the forum to consider the following screen name -- iPerryMason.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
iGary said:
I freaking hate DC laws. I wish they spent just a wee bit more time catching thieves and vandals.

the city is actually running a pretty big ad campaign down here looking for new cops... trying to get more on the street, etc.

who knows...

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
gwuMACaddict said:
the city is actually running a pretty big ad campaign down here looking for new cops... trying to get more on the street, etc.

who knows...

Yup - a good friend of ours just joined about a year ago. Like I have said before, I have a love/hate with DC. :eek:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
That poor police officer.:rolleyes:
You nailed him for not doing his job properly, and he got embarrassed in front of the judge. Prolly hurt his widdle feewings, too. Citing AA Co. code at him and all. You're my hero, iGary.:D

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
iGary takes on the Law ... and wins! :cool:

Good to see you went in prepared.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I once got a ticket in Anne Arundel county, MD and when I went to court, the cop didn't show up. I asked that the ticket be dismissed and the judge refused. I pointed out that there was no way the hearing should proceed without the cop there to offer his testimony. "It doesn't matter," the judge said, "this ticket is the officer's testimony." I argued that there was no way to cross-examine a ticket and the foundation of our system was that I could face and question my accuser. The judge looked at me like I had three heads and ordered me to pay the ticket anyway.

I was only 17 and too afraid to tell the judge what I thought, so I paid the ticket. It bugs me to this day.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
What are the odds that iGary will get mugged, beaten, or have his vehicle vandalized by a roving gang of grey haired old ladies?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Applespider said:
Well done! I hope she was truly narked. What a waste of time/resources - yours and the courts!

I did something similar once. I got called up for not having a TV licence since when the inspectors came round, I couldn't find it (it was in the landlord's room in a shared property).

He sent a copy of it to the TV licensicing people but I still got a summons. So we went to court, I pleaded 'not guilty' and the judge was about to send it to a proper hearing when I said that it wouldn't it be a better use of public time and money to sort this out now while brandishing the licence.

It turned out that my landlord had been paying by direct debit with his bank details as being 334 (flat 4) King St but then decided to cancel that and buy it outright. The Post Office put it down as being Flat D, 334 King St so there was a big computer hole at 334 (4).

I should probably take this over to the "your country is wierd thread", but I had to let out a bit of a chuckle when I thought about TV Licenses...what a wonderful idea...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.