I wiped the courtroom floor with him...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Oct 25, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

That is, the officer that was called by the wicked old witch downstairs that thinks the handicapped parking space outside our building is hers (the officer even said that she said it was hers in the testimony).

He gave his spiel....then I got to ask questions.

"Office Carr, were you able to see if the actual pavement portion of the parking spot was properly marked with the international handicapped symbol?"

"Uh, under the car?"

"Yes, were you able to ascertain that this spot was properly marked."

"No, I did not check the space."

"Officer Carr, did you check to see if the sign posted for the space was within 5 feet of the parking space per Anne Arundel code?"

"Uh, no."

"Officer Carr, did you attempt to notify the owner of the vehicle that it was parked in a handicapped spot?"

"There's no real way to do that withouth running the plate."

"Officer Carr, did you notice the two magnetic advertisement signs on the side of the aforementioned Honda Civic, which clearly state the name and phone number of the owner?"

"I did not notice those."

"Officer Carr, did you note that the handicapped sign was obscurred by foilage and the light on the front of the bilding was out making the sign invisible?"

"I saw the sign when the lady pointed it out to me."

"So you couldn't see the sign without her pointing it out to you?"

"I don't recall."

*Puts pictures on his desk*

"Is there an international handicapped sign on the parking spot in this picture?"

"No."

"Is the sign in this picture obscurred by foilage?"

"Yes."

The judge said "OK, that's enough...case dismissed."

It was a new spot they had just installed in front of my building that day and the witch downstairs called the cops on me. When they called the charges everyone looked at me like I was a mass murderer. Showed them. Heh.

100 freaking dollar fine. Hell no.

Just feel good about standing up to the man. I don't mind paying when I screw up, but when it ain't my fault...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I was scared as hell, though. I play a good game. :p

The judge was a little pissed that I was so aggressive, I think.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I suppose now you'll be a writer on some hotshot legal show.... ;)

Good job!

5. juicedus macrumors member

Thats such a good feeling. I had a similar situation this summer with a cop and a ticket. I was sooooo nervous but if you ask the right questions the judge will see through the cops BS.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Well done! I hope she was truly narked. What a waste of time/resources - yours and the courts!

I did something similar once. I got called up for not having a TV licence since when the inspectors came round, I couldn't find it (it was in the landlord's room in a shared property).

He sent a copy of it to the TV licensicing people but I still got a summons. So we went to court, I pleaded 'not guilty' and the judge was about to send it to a proper hearing when I said that it wouldn't it be a better use of public time and money to sort this out now while brandishing the licence.

It turned out that my landlord had been paying by direct debit with his bank details as being 334 (flat 4) King St but then decided to cancel that and buy it outright. The Post Office put it down as being Flat D, 334 King St so there was a big computer hole at 334 (4).

8. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Too bad there's no video of this, like on that Airline show you were on... that must have been an awesome experience. That's one of those stories you'll still be telling 30 years from now. :)

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ha! sweet job!

i get a kick out of protesting my tickets in dc... i've always at least gotten a reduction in fines... usually get off of them entirely... just have to be well spoken and make a logical case...

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

DC - don't get me started.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

one time, a judge told me, and i quote: "laws are arbitrarily enforced"

what!?

i asked him "who gets to decide, doesn't this lead to discrimination and favoritism?"... he got a stupid look on his face and asked me to leave. didnt have to pay though :D

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Good job, i'm sure u sounded pissed like when you were delayed to go to (i think) RI

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I freaking hate DC laws. Backwards ass city. I did get out of the one ticket i really wasn't responsible for, though. Most people just pay, which is what they count on.

I wish they spent just a wee bit more time catching thieves and vandals.

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Nicely done! It may also serve as the inspiration for a law student joining the forum to consider the following screen name -- iPerryMason.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Well done for sticking up for yourself.

*pats iGary on the back*

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the city is actually running a pretty big ad campaign down here looking for new cops... trying to get more on the street, etc.

who knows...

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yup - a good friend of ours just joined about a year ago. Like I have said before, I have a love/hate with DC. :eek:

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's a wonderful city... but terribly mismanaged and not at all as tourist friendly as it likes to pretend sometimes...

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That poor police officer.:rolleyes:
    You nailed him for not doing his job properly, and he got embarrassed in front of the judge. Prolly hurt his widdle feewings, too. Citing AA Co. code at him and all. You're my hero, iGary.:D

20. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

iGary takes on the Law ... and wins! :cool:

Good to see you went in prepared.

21. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I once got a ticket in Anne Arundel county, MD and when I went to court, the cop didn't show up. I asked that the ticket be dismissed and the judge refused. I pointed out that there was no way the hearing should proceed without the cop there to offer his testimony. "It doesn't matter," the judge said, "this ticket is the officer's testimony." I argued that there was no way to cross-examine a ticket and the foundation of our system was that I could face and question my accuser. The judge looked at me like I had three heads and ordered me to pay the ticket anyway.

I was only 17 and too afraid to tell the judge what I thought, so I paid the ticket. It bugs me to this day.

22. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

23. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

so you did you park in it knowing it was handicapped?

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What are the odds that iGary will get mugged, beaten, or have his vehicle vandalized by a roving gang of grey haired old ladies?

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I should probably take this over to the "your country is wierd thread", but I had to let out a bit of a chuckle when I thought about TV Licenses...what a wonderful idea...:p