Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
This is annoying me, and I'm sure I can't be the only one that's annoyed about this, at least from time to time anyway.

I'd like to see a change to the App store which gave more than the current two areas. Paid and Free apps.

Paid app, I understand. You pay for the app and get the app. that's fine. Happy with that, no problem at all.

Its the free apps area I'm having a moan about. Many of them are not free apps and should not be there at all.

You can have genuine free apps, and for those, the devs have my, and I'm sure everyone elses full appreciation for putting in work and allowing others to enjoy their work just for the sheer fun, enjoyment of it and/or just to show off what they can do. Well done do you all. May you go on to better things in the future.

You then have free apps that are supported by adverts which pop up on screen, these can be fine as long as you don't mind the ads. Sometimes the option is there to pay for the version which is the same but without the adverts.

Then you have demo apps which are just say 1 or 2 levels of the game that would thought was a free game. They are not free at all, just a demo version and you have to buy the full version to play more.

And finally, other games, like the above where you may be able to do 1 level or do part of the game, but you need to make in app purchases to go any further.

For me anyway, the only two of these types that should be in the FREE APPS area are the true free apps, and the apps which are full, but have some small advertising, perhaps at the bottom of the screen.

These are free. Demo's of 1 level only, or a demo where you have to pay in game to do more are not in any way free apps and should not be allowed in that section.

Perhaps another TRIAL or DEMO area should be made for those.
To call them free is misleading.

There, I feel better now I've had my rant :)

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Perhaps another TRIAL or DEMO area should be made for those. To call them free is misleading. There, I feel better now I've had my rant :)

My understanding is that the terms of the App Store prevent developers from calling an application a trial or a demo. Lite versions are apparently okay as long as they are complete in themselves and do not contain locked features. The term "Lite" itself is generally an indication that there is a fuller paid version.

My suggestion is to just delete these apps. If it really bothers you leave feedback but people who whine in the feedback about wanting free stuff bothers me.

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
My understanding is that the terms of the App Store prevent developers from calling an application a trial or a demo. Lite versions are apparently okay as long as they are complete in themselves and do not contain locked features. The term "Lite" itself is generally an indication that there is a fuller paid version.

My suggestion is to just delete these apps. If it really bothers you leave feedback but people who whine in the feedback about wanting free stuff bothers me.

I have to say i agree with the OP. It's anoying that those "free" apps are listed in the free zone.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
I like teh lite versions since it lets me see if I like a game or not before actually paying for it. I have saved a lot of money that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.