Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
New York
Which is a better financial management software? (new to mac)
I was reading the reviews on the quicken so I'm looking for alternatives.
Thanks! :)

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
My reaserach led me to a nice application called "Money." While very simply named, the program is reasonably full featured program with an unusually pleasant interface. The other comforting fact has been the steady stream of updates (bug fixes AND new features) for the product since its release.

http://www.jumsoft.com/money/

crissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
New York
Thanks TigerPRO and PlaceofDis!

I downloaded the demo version of Money (by Jumsoft). I tried the web bank and put my bank citi and it was giving me this error messages about browsers but I already have the latest version. Is it that they're not compatible?

I called citibank tech and I was told that they know of quicken but haven't heard of Money (by jumsoft)

Thanks! :)

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I've been using Cha-Ching as of late. It's still somewhat early int he development process (0.5, I think), but already it's shaping up nicely.

My needs with a program like this are pretty light, though, so I might not be the best judge. It does have a gorgeous GUI, though ;)

oligore

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Do any of these calculate interest because I downloaded the Cha-ching and I couldn't find anyway to do this

crissy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
New York
Epochblue...

I downloaded cha-ching and it looks beautiful... though I'm still yet to try it... i'll try that and Money... and we'll see what happens...

Thanks

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
So can any of these actually download bank/credit card statements? Most web statement downloads are only in Quicken and MS Money formats, which, I think, are proprietary. Without this capability, what exactly are these apps good for? I mean, if I have to enter every transaction by hand I might as well use Excel!

William9

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
The only Mac applications that I know of that can actually download transactions directly into your register (as compared to a two step, web-based OFX download) are Quicken and MoneyDance.

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I have to chime in on this, because I've been bouncing back and forth between financial applications. I was using Money (Jumsoft) for a while, but decided to toss it. Too many UI bugs and quirks, which I told the developers about numerous times, and they always give me the standard "we'll work on it" response. Several versions later, the same bugs still exist.

I'm trying MoneyWell right now. It's nice, but the whole bucket/envelope concept is new to me, and some complicated situations can arise if you have your own business and move money around a lot.

I tried MoneyDance, the interface is butt ugly, IMO. It was a bit laggy in some spots too, I didn't care for it.

iBank was actually the first one I tried. I stopped using it, I think it had problems with handling a large amount of data (a year's worth of transactions). I might give it another go, though.

I'll try out Cha-Ching, too, looks interesting.

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
And another note, if anyone is considering picking up Cha-Ching it'd be worth it to look at the current MacHeist bundle, you get a bunch of other apps for just a few more dollars than the current full price for Cha-Ching (that's what I just did).

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
And another note, if anyone is considering picking up Cha-Ching it'd be worth it to look at the current MacHeist bundle, you get a bunch of other apps for just a few more dollars than the current full price for Cha-Ching (that's what I just did).

Yep, I saw that and went for it! Plus, it should be noted that Cha-Ching 2.0 is due out some point soon(?) and adds some features that are sorely lacking, such as split transactions.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The only Mac applications that I know of that can actually download transactions directly into your register (as compared to a two step, web-based OFX download) are Quicken and MoneyDance.

Which is why I use moneydance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.