Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parikh1234

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
LF NJ USA
i love how theres always 10 people who no matter what the news reply with something on the order of "bring on the new powerbooks" or something. The rumor could be like apple to go bankrupt, and youll have like 10 people post "bring on the g5 powerbooks!"

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
Originally posted by Parikh1234
i love how theres always 10 people who no matter what the news reply with something on the order of "bring on the new powerbooks" or something. The rumor could be like apple to go bankrupt, and youll have like 10 people post "bring on the g5 powerbooks!"

I think that's quite telling as to what the audience is wanting. Everyone wants it so everyone expects it.
You have to admit though - the article does have heavy suggestions of laptop application (not nessicarily 'right now' but definatly a tone of it being a concern)

fluidinclusion

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Green Bay, Wisconsin USA
Powerbook G5

To everyone who hates hearing everyone else wish for Powerbook G5's:

We want them. I'm waiting to buy a Powerbook. I don't NEED one, but I want one. Right now, the current models don't cut it for me. Call it perception, bull****, whatever you'd like. I would love to buy a 12" G5 Powerbook - and so would MANY other people.

I think this topic just goes to show that this is a major product that consumers are looking forward to buying whenever Apple ends up releasing it. I expect to see a major marketing push from Apple (The world's first 64-bit laptop, etc.).

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Haha i think it would be Apple's interest not to say that again...then again, saying controversial things always stirs up a commotion.

With the Athlon 64 mobile version already out, Apple would definitely not have the first 64-bit laptop, but the statement would get PC users complaining (and talking, which is big) which then leads to more media attention and of course MORE consumer attention :)

Look at what the G5 did by saying it was the most powerful desktop (and arguably so, even with Opteron/FX-51 in the comparisons).

Perhaps Apple will come out with something out of that coveted R&D department...expect the unexpected.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Yeah Duh!

Maybe people are speculating on a new G5 PowerBook because it is directly mentioned in the article. Do you think?

According to Richard Doherty, research director at Envisioneering, "It's logical that Apple would select the flexibility of this chip for a next-generation notebook computer."

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by rdowns
I disagree. Since when are Mercedes and BMW owners doing their own service on their cars? Ford and GM parts exist because people demand them. If the demand were there, you'd find parts for BMW and Mercedes.

What? You sir, cannot disagree with what you are quoting. YOU CANNOT DISAGREE. OK?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
QUOTE]Apple needs to (hello Jobs HELLO?!?!) MARKET themselves (more) aggressively, needs to court more and more developers and be viable, and needs to stay ahead, well ahead, of the (sucky) competition.[/QUOTE] PhotoRun I couldn't have said it better.

I just came back from a friend of mine's college here in Toronto. Let me just say that in Canada PC's are the dominant system with Microsoft. However in just under a full year they've upgraded from 50 Macs (30 of them Blue & White G3's, the rest G4 originals) to now having an additional 20 Quicksilver G4s, 40 PowerMac G5s (Just in Today, and ALL Dual 1.8Ghz), and 5 Xserves (first year Dual G4s). Incredible upgrade, guessing technicians and arts students are in demand of these systems. Then on the bus home I saw someone playing with a PowerBook 12". Wow!

Most software products are niche products. Accountants don't need Photoshop. Structural engineers don't need ProTools. And on and on.
RogerQ, good insight, yet I think Accountants of these software companies do have a huge say in cost of goods sold, along with why a company should bring their software to a particular platform other than niche. Return on investment, and other market forces are at play. ALso, what about those software licensing agreements?? Those with unlimited user license is seriously hurting their potential for more revenue, yet with Unix & Linux its a must and its hurting Microsoft even further.

These processors are enough to get Apple noticed and to make further innovative products but they must first, market harder, this is the time.

1) Dramatically reduce inventory on previous G4 PowerMacs; by say $500 US get them outta there, package them with engraved iPods to sweeten the deal and keep income decent, if not undercut cost by 10% just get them out, they'll upgrade in 1 year after enjoying the Mac with new OS X Ocelot/Panther.

2) There is HUGE education potential here in Canada beyond the Grade 4 level especially in major cities. push here.

I find it strange that corporations or the computing industry was huge with Unix some 30 years ago, no??, and now its Microsoft and Linux?? how on Earth did that happen??

IIvan

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
Originally posted by wrldwzrd89
Got any suggestions for Apple as to how to penetrate more of the US market? I'm curious as to whether you have any ideas.

First they have to convince it that they really, truely, deeply care about it. Take it out and spend money on it. Then one night when they are alone they can very carefully p...

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Can a Dell Run Final Cut?, No. Does the Dell Inspiron 8500(or 8200) crash. Yes. Does a Powerbook crash. No. Now i am not getting into an argue fest, but i am and will simply state that first there are no accurate tests to judge a computer, but yes why Dell may make a good big laptop, the Powerbook handles what it is designed to handle better than what a Dell is designed to handle. PC's in general, Laptops especially crash often and/or run out of battery power fast. They are designed for games, finance and education. Mac's in general, laptops included handle video, photos and audio better than they do games, there are very few people who buy a Powermac or Powerbook to play games. they also do not crash, have batteries that last more than an hour and are smaller, more agile and portable. No review has been made saying that for what they are designed for Mac's arent better than PC's, because they are. End of story.

Originally posted by Stolid
Amazing... You're comparing a DESKTOP to a LAPTOP.
Wintel is not apple - Amazing revelation there too. I thought they were the same company.
Crash all the time? I do not REMEMBER the last crash my 8200 had. I think it had a series of them; but I was doing some weird stuff on it with kernel level stuff (making fake SCSI devices; not fun stuff)

A G4 1.25 creams the 8200? Okay. By what metric?
By simple 'user feel'? If that's the case then I've got to say that I've got to use a G5 system because I've used a top of the line G4 at a CompUSA and felt a graphical lag just doing something as simple as moving windows around in Photoshop on it, I've never seen that on my 8200. Now I've turned off 'show window while moving' so that's probably why; but it goes to show why 'user feel' isn't a good metric. So if you've got another metric please tell me what it is.
Because this is what I keep seeing:

- Rob Galbraith

Smaller does not mean less powerful? Then why does a PowerMac have faster procs (and 2 of them no less) than a PowerBook?
I am not advocating completely ignoring size; but I don't see the harm in a desktop replacement being added to the line. Nothing MAKES you buy that system if Apple makes it; just as nothing MAKES me buy what they've got now. Which I might add is the reason I haven't yet; I'm not at all happy with the state of the mobiles and I can't convince myself I'd use a desktop often enough to justify it, I'm just too mobile.
So by what I've seen of your logic; that means I should stop looking at the Apple platform; its far more important they maintain being "sexy" than have customers. :rolleyes:
Sorry if this sounds flamy; but I see claims that a G4 PowerBook is faster than an 8200 and have to shake my head. It's just not justified (unless of course you get a bottom of the line 8200, but then you'd have to compare it to equivilently lower end "MacTops").
And let's try to steer this more on topic in our replies. :p

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
uggh that is not entirely true either. The 2.0 G5 in the computer lab not only stalled but kernal panicked today while I tried to open Photoshop. Macs still crash, just like any other computer out there. Maybe not as often, but it is still a complicated physical machine--it will never be without its flaws or weaknesses.

And on productivity? On average the Mac, supposedly by some strange sterotype, is more "creative" than PCs. Well I have a friend who has created and directed a great deal of short films, done flash animations and several websites work. Just because he doesn't use a Mac doesn't mean he's any less creative. That sterotype really needs to be stopped that just b/c you have a Mac, all of a sudden your twice as creative as someone with a PC. It simply isn't so. (that friend that does Flash animations/short films uses a Dell 8600 btw).

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Now I'm buying

Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog
I've avoided buying a PowerMac since I got my B&W G3 years back. The G4 line was always a compromise in one way or another. The first G5, while admirable, was still a rush job when you look at the component diagram.

That's not to say Apple was wrong - it needs to have new products to sell; it's just that from an engineering perspective it was a Volvo, not a Benz.

This chip changes everything. This really signals the emergence of Apple as providing the best personal computer chip on the planet. Wow, I'd like at least two in my new PowerMac.
Care to elaborate? What does the block diagram tell you about any cost-cutting measures, and how does the 970FX ameliorate that? Judging by the photos I've seen of the G5 mobo, it's truly a work of art--including the backside, which most users will never see.

If by "component diagram" you mean a circuit diagram, which would show every itty bitty capacitor and the like, well, you must be so well-connected that I won't try to question you. But I doubt that, since very few people have access to that kind of thing. :)

WM

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: my guess

Originally posted by eric67
PBG5 at MacWorld (JUly, avaialble august)
Ain't gonna be a summer Macworld this year--at least, not one where Apple would introduce something as important as a PBG5...

In fact, if I remember right, Apple isn't even exhibiting at the IDG CreativeMacworldPro! World Expo (or whatever) at all.

WM

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
great now i have to wait and see what happens lol:D

wont be buying a new laptop now cause of this talk of early g5 pb

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Originally posted by rdowns
I disagree. Since when are Mercedes and BMW owners doing their own service on their cars? Ford and GM parts exist because people demand them. If the demand were there, you'd find parts for BMW and Mercedes.

I own both a BMW for myself and a Mercedes for my wife. I do the oil changes and most of the maintenance. In fact quite a few Mercedes and BMW owners do their own maintenance. I'm of course refering to people like myself who buy these cars used. To say that BMW/Mercedes owners are not the type of people who do work on their own cars is totally incorrect.

And while you can sometimes find parts for some of the parts, if it's anything too exotic you're going to have to go to the dealer and quite often wait for them to order it.

And I think the parts analogy is a good one. I don't think just saying Hey Mercedes only has 3% is valid though. Because the 3% Apple has is not 3% of the Wintel market. It's 3% of a totally different market.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by wrldwzrd89
Got any suggestions for Apple as to how to penetrate more of the US market? I'm curious as to whether you have any ideas.

Well I would like to see this new G5 if in a next gen PowerBook advertised as a productive machine, Not as a work of art like all of the other commercials. Remember the older pre-G4 ads that showed the Mac as a true business machine?!!!

Show me the advantages of Mac OS X with MS Office; ability to switch applications via keyboard shortcuts & seperate window within EACH app (This you Cannot do in Windows even today!!!). Show Exposé in which you want that Photo, Music file, document on the desktop under all of that work to put into an email to the boss. Show the world how more productive it is to use the Mac in various settings: Video production, Entertainment (iPhoto/Music), MS Office unique features to the Mac.

Then after slamming this home, then you can show the power of the system. Its one thing to say you don't want to drive, or criticize the Wankel Rotary, its another to drive it! SOrry about the car analogy but to me it's related, creative thinking, more efficient and future proof (hydrogen fuel capable). ANd the power benefits were always there since their first competition into LeMan's 24Hours their were banned do to an "unfair" advantage!!

Mac to me has an unfair advantage for business user's, entertainment, children, education, and webhosting than Windows.:D

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
so basically, we have all these fun predictions we create but we have no estimated release date for any products these chips may or may not be in, with the XServe exception.

FUN!

Hooray for the rumor site.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Re: The Trouble is....

Originally posted by CalfCanuck
We all forget the YEARS that Apple spent trying to shift people onto OS X from their old legacy OS. Now it's a done deal, and apps continue to pour out for OS X.
I wouldn't say it's a done deal but there's certainly an evolving interest in OS X. And even more with the G5, which isn't even a year old. Plenty of potential for a new generation of Apple developers, regardless of what's happening with the current generation.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
OT

Originally posted by wizard
I have to stronly disagree here. One of the things that has kept me off the MAC platform for the last couple of years has been performance. If Apple can deliver high perfromance hardware at a reasonable price I'm inclined to start looking again.

I'm a Linux user, I can tell you that there are a huge number of dissatisfied Windows customers out there.
I've been reading Secrets and Lies recently in which Bruce Schneier talks (among other things) about security in modern OS's. If I understand him correctly, he suggests a micro kernel architecture is inherently more secure because there is less potential for damaging code to be loaded into the kernel, plus the OS is better able to co-ordinate security. I also read recently Linus Torvalds espousing the Linux kernel and suggesting speed-wise it is far superior to OSX at least in part due to the kernel containing a great deal more code/drivers etc. Now suggesting there is anything insecure about Linux is likely to get me pilloried and I would agree the Open Source development model lends itself to better security in the kernel regardless (possibly one of the reasons Apple has distributed the Darwin source). And of course Windows uses both a macro kernel and closed source development and as everyone knows and Schneier confirms has some fundamental security issues (ASN.1 eg). Microsoft's huge installed base and known weaknesses must also be a reason the platform is subject to so much unfriendly attention.

But there does appear to be a trade-off between speed and security, regardless of the hardware. It will be interesting to see the route Apple takes with OSX, how much is loaded into the kernel, and what impact that will have on speed/stability. Plus Apple is not immune to security issues as evidenced by the recent security patches we've all installed.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Originally posted by Photorun
The car market has many car makers and works on a completely different economic scale, supply and demand scale, and technology scale...
And the automotive industry releases new cars on a predictable yearly cycle, at least in America for as long as I remember. Does anyone recall new cars coming out in the middle of the year? It's always been the same pattern -- next year's models announced a few months before the current year end followed by months of clearance sales... plus the annoyingly sensationalized hype.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by sjk
And the automotive industry releases new cars on a predictable yearly cycle, at least in America for as long as I remember. Does anyone recall new cars coming out in the middle of the year? It's always been the same pattern -- next year's models announced a few months before the current year end followed by months of clearance sales... plus the annoyingly sensationalized hype.

That yearly release of new models is just a marketing ploy, which, although very common in the U.S., is not generally used in Europe. Car models are sold in general for about five to seven years before they are replaced by a new version. Naturally, it might be four years, or even eight or more for some cars. This cycle, however, has been becoming shorter over the last two decades.

To keep their cars attractive the manufacturers usually do one or two facelifts during that five to seven year cycle, in which the change the design somewhat in order to create the impression of this being a new car, allowing an optical distinction between let's a four year old and a one year old car. These facelifts may also include new engine options, new interior design, new equipment like a rain sensor for the windshield wipers and so on, there can also be slight changes to the suspension system and other small improvements, in general the list of included extras gets longer and so on. These facelifts are then touted as the 'New C-class' or whatever but they are essentially just a refresh. In parallel to these facelifts, all manufacturers constantly change the range of engines they offer, add features like a four-wheel drive option, Xeon headlights and other smaller improvements they usually don't even talk about.

For the U.S., theses small changes and the facelifts are just packaged by marketing in a way to give the impression of a new model every year.
For the Golf for example, there have been just five different models over the last three decades (called the Golf I, II, III, IV and V, with the V having been introduced last year in Germany, don't know about the U.S.). If you put them side by side it is very easy to distinguish them, but you would be hard pressed to differentiate between a 1998 and a 1999 model for example.

hose this!

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2003
New York City
BFD

G5 Powerbooks? Faster G5 PowerMacs? Who cares? I'm just waiting for the new cinema displays to be released alongside PowerMac revs. C'mon already...

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
Originally posted by mpopkin
Does the Dell Inspiron 8500(or 8200) crash. Yes. Does a Powerbook crash. No.

I've crashed something that I was told was a PowerBook running OSX... Was I lied to?

[B}the Powerbook handles what it is designed to handle better than what a Dell is designed to handle. PC's in general, Laptops especially crash often and/or run out of battery power fast. They are designed for games, finance and education.[/B]

I get 200-400 minutes on the laptop depending on what I'm using (Wireless tends to nuke laptops on both sides)
Admitably; I have to carry around a 10+ pound laptop for that capability because I put in two dense batteries. As I already stated, it does crash but it is easily comparable to OS X's crash rate.

I'm in the scenario of really wanting to try the system and being unhappy with my options. I *want* to buy a Mac and can't find one that suits my needs. My reasons are different than most people's; I'm tired of Linux zealotism, it drove me back to Windows on the x86. I knew going in that Apple had been known for a "religious" fan base, but was hoping it wouldn't become blind MS bashing (When I see "M$" I think the author is an idiot, not Microsoft).

Now, this topic has meandered all around so I'm going to pull it back as best I can :p

Mac is in the unique scenario of having a new chip (a /real/ new chip) and thus to do some interesting changes/additions to their laptop line when the chips become suitable; which the article suggest is very easy. I'm really hoping that Apple is willing to try a few new things in the laptop line. Perhaps not "Desktop Replacements" but those are my big hope; but perhaps trying to up the resolution of the 17" screen (15.5" PC laptops with good displays regularly have 1600x1200 resolution, Apple's are lower and their big advantage is in viewing angle and the ability to view them in the sun but those two features I've yet to see advertised unless you read tech specs as advertisements)

Stolid the long winded *blush*

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by mpopkin
Can a Dell Run Final Cut?, No. Does the Dell Inspiron 8500(or 8200) crash. Yes. Does a Powerbook crash. No........<snip>

Well, my PB does. Not often, but it does.

I think it's time everyone let go of the Win - crash, Mac - never crash myth. It just isn't the case any longer. My wife's Dell running XP is no less stable in any situation than my TiBook

Now, viruses/worms.....well that's a different matter....

</OT>

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
Since when are Mercedes and BMW owners doing their own service on their cars? Ford and GM parts exist because people demand them. If the demand were there, you'd find parts for BMW and Mercedes.

That wasnt the point, most repair garages get their parts from the local auto parts store. Most car owners don't do their own repairs, no matter what the make. The point is low market share of those high vehicles vehicles limits availablity of their components but not dent their sales. High market share of GM and Ford allows for their components to more widely available especially from 3rd party sources.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by jouster
Well, my PB does. Not often, but it does.

I think it's time everyone let go of the Win - crash, Mac - never crash myth. It just isn't the case any longer. My wife's Dell running XP is no less stable in any situation than my TiBook

Now, viruses/worms.....well that's a different matter....

</OT>

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. My work PC, when running 95 and 98 should have been on thre crash test dummy payroll. Since getting a new P4 Dell with Win 2000, I have crashed twice (iTunes caused one) in 17 months. The PC is fast and stable. Of course, I have to spend a lot of time with updates, spyware and the other inherrent Windows deficiencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.