Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peiffman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had ever used their iBook to drive an External Widescreen Display. I've been looking around on google and have gotten positive results but what I really want to know is: does the iBook fully utilize the displays "wideness", in other words, is there any letter boxing? What is the max resolution it can push?

Thanks for any help.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
ibooks only support screen mirroring, not spanning. so you would only be able to mirror your current display at 1024x768 on the external with pillarboxing.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
iBooks do support mirroring, but you have to download the Screen Spanning Doctor first (Google it). I'm not exactly sure how big the resolution will go to. I think the biggest I've seen used is about 20". Less than that and you'll most likely be good. I'm using a 17" LCD at 1280x1024 and it's working fine alongside my iBook's screen. Just remember that you're cutting the video memory in half for the screens so video performance won't be as smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.