Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hello all. I will make this short and sweet. I am looking at getting an iBook to take with me to class and when I am out and about. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of their ibooks and why they chose what they did. The opinions of current owners of both would really help. There are some threads similar to this one, but none that really focus directly on the opinions of current owners and what they really like or dislike. Your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Well, this thread is pretty darn close.

I'm sure you'll get some good responses, but really since you have a lot of experiences with Apple laptops, I don't see what the mystery would be: they're just cheaper, less powerful versions of the current PowerBooks, that look different and get better battery life. There's not much more to it.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Well, i am 'puting ibook G3 (see sig) right now.

Why did i get an ibook? I had always wanted to try a mac and quite honestly, it was the cheapest apple computer i could find LOL :rolleyes:

Could i be happier? not really, well of course a PM or PB would be cool but my ibook does everything i need it to do (mail, iphoto, internet, office, chopper :D and solitaire XL) The battery life is still great, even after nearly 3 years of faithful service. I get about 3 hours on a full charge :eek:
I do have a few reservations though, one is the damn ATI7500, the other one is the HD. I wish i had at least a 5400RPM one since that would boost performance. Also, i had to get my logic board replaced two weeks ago.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
mcgarry said:
Well, this thread is pretty darn close.

I'm sure you'll get some good responses, but really since you have a lot of experiences with Apple laptops, I don't see what the mystery would be: they're just cheaper, less powerful versions of the current PowerBooks, that look different and get better battery life. There's not much more to it.

This is very true and that was a good thread but this thread is more about the difference between the 12" and 14" ibooks. I am aware of the performece differences and tech specs of the iBooks vs. other computers, but what really makes me wonder is the screen sizes. It would be nice to have a larger screen for when the laptop is on my desk and not right in my face. However, I was curious about what people who have owned one or currently own one (or even better both) think about them.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Chrispy said:
This is very true and that was a good thread but this thread is more about the difference between the 12" and 14" ibooks. I am aware of the performece differences and tech specs of the iBooks vs. other computers, but what really makes me wonder is the screen sizes. It would be nice to have a larger screen for when the laptop is on my desk and not right in my face. However, I was curious about what people who have owned one or currently own one (or even better both) think about them.

Ahh, sorry, I understand better now. 12" vs. 14" iBook might have been a better thread title, but whatever. There are still some good threads that discuss that comparison, including this recent one.

jaromski

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
zion
Chrispy said:

I believe the 14" display is more pixellated than the 12". Well it isn't the screen but the ATI chip drives both at the same resolution which means the pixels are bigger on the 14" than the 12". This makes things look jagged and nasty. Very Nasty.

I would get the 12" instead. Especially if you are carting it around a lot. Plus you can probably hack it to drive an external display when you are at home and want some more screen real estate.

On on semi-related topic I was considering getting a KVM switch so I could switch between my business PC workstation and my 15" PB. Then I could switch between both environments within a few seconds. And they could both utilize the same 23" ACD.

It would be quite lovely.

-jaromski

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
mcgarry said:
Ahh, sorry, I understand better now. 12" vs. 14" iBook might have been a better thread title, but whatever. There are still some good threads that discuss that comparison, including this recent one.

Thanks mcgarry! I have issues with the search feature so I miss things from time to time. Also, thank you to all the people who have contributed so far. I look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say :) Thanks!

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Well, I consider myself a "power" users (of the PC). I've been running linux since Linux 2.0 (6yrs?), work in IT, and waste countless hours on the computer. I bought a 12" iBook about 3 months ago, and love it. It's the best of both worlds - powerful like Linux, yet I don't have to fiddle with stuff to get things done (the "it just works" slogan comes to mind). While I still use Linux, I wouldn't trade my iBook for any other portable -> and I have a dual-boot HP XP/Linux laptop. Nice laptop, but not as nice;)
Bottom line: Battery life is great, airport reception is great, battery life is great, it's small enough to lug around, and did I mention the battery life is great?
I find the 15" PC HP laptop I have, I wasn't using as much, as I considered it a "pain" to carry as much as I would have liked.
HTH
-Nick

keithpetey

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
i bought a 12" ibook in late november and never regreted it. the extra 2 inches didnt really have any benefit for me. the 12" is the size of a math textbook and really compact. like that guy said the resolution is the same, 1024x768, so the 12" will look sharper. i love how light it is too; i picked up my friend's 15" dell and was like whoa this thing is heavy. and i didnt like the extra inch of space on each side of the keyboard. i think it looks stupid, especially on the 17" powerbooks. take a look at one next time.

CRF

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2004
Caracas
Go for the 12"

Some years ago I found myself in your same situation...I needed a portable to go with me to class...my studies at the time didn't get well with macs (Electronic Engineering), especially in my country (Venezuela)...but I give it a shoot, so I get an iBook G3 600MHz 12". What impressed me? batery life, weight and a very responsive machine. With the time I managed to get an G3 800MHz and my current machine: G4 1 GHz...I couldn't be happier. Again the batery life is amazing, the keyboard is more confortable than before and you can do almost anything you need...I can even use some specific programs for Windows using Virtual PC and if you don't mind (like me) about velocity, is perfect...the screen is adecuate for any task and if you feel that it gets a little "small" you can always use Exposé or Screen Spanning Doctor to hook up an external display if needed...I used once an 14" iBook, and performance is about the same, batery life too, but is (obviously) more bigger and more weight and if you carry with you at least 8 hours a day is not very pleasant in your back (in case you use a backpack) :eek:, the screen is bigger too but the resolution is the same, so if you don't need a bigger letters to read go with the 12" model. Good luck

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
If you plan to carry it around and use it in class get the 12" with a really good sleeve, to it in your backpack and you are set.
the 14" is a little too big for backpack and classroom/lecture halls with those miniscule tables...

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Chrispy said:
Hello all. I will make this short and sweet. I am looking at getting an iBook to take with me to class and when I am out and about. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of their ibooks and why they chose what they did. The opinions of current owners of both would really help. There are some threads similar to this one, but none that really focus directly on the opinions of current owners and what they really like or dislike. Your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Well, my mom owns the 14" and she is a school teacher. The reason she went with iBook was because the school board bought it for her and the 14" because she is getting to the ripe ole age for reading glasses, so the 14" helps out. Her only complaing so far has been that the white plastic (similar ot that on the iPod) seems to scratch too easily. Her only regret is that the school board couldn't afford/wouldn't opt for the aluminum casing of the PowerBook (in her eyes, there's no difference). If you could afford it, i would recommend the 12" PB, but her iBook seems to perform well for what she has to have it for. Good luck with your decision!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hmm...this is tough. I own an iBook 14" due to the fact my desktop has a 20" monitor and it's a real adjustment going from that to a 12" screen. Plus, my eyes aren't so great. I guess a good question to ask is: will this be your main computer? If so, you may want the 14". Otherwise, you may want to get the 12" if it's just portability you're after. I take my 14" everywhere, every day, and my only complaint is that it's heavy. But honestly, I love it a lot. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
12 inch all the way! Unless you have bad eyesight, I'd get the smaller screen simply because it has the same amount of pixels and it looks heaps cuter. I use a 12 inch as my main machine and I have no issues with screen size whatsoever - mainly thanks to expose. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Chrispy said:
Thanks mcgarry! I have issues with the search feature so I miss things from time to time. Also, thank you to all the people who have contributed so far. I look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say :) Thanks!
Even if you have trouble with the search feature, you should have found that thread in your own history... :rolleyes:

As to the question at hand: The 12" is cheaper and more portable, the 14" has a superdrive option and some feel the larger screen is better for their eyes... ;)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Even if you have trouble with the search feature, you should have found that thread in your own history... :rolleyes:

As to the question at hand: The 12" is cheaper and more portable, the 14" has a superdrive option and some feel the larger screen is better for their eyes... ;)

Haha yeah! I agree with you there. I was more referencing the fact I enjoy when people post links to other threads in general and not just that particular thread. I am actually subscribed to that one ;) Thanks for the opinions all.. I am definitely leaning towards the 12" right now.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's really a matter of what your eyes can take compared to what your back can take. I went with the 14-incher, but I'm getting old (38) and wear glasses, so the 12-incher seemed TINY to me. Don't forget that the 14-incher also has better battery life (I routinely get 5 hours).

My father in law has a 12-incher and uses it at 800 X 600 resolution. I couldn't do that: looks "fuzzy" to me. I haven't had a problem carrying the 14-incher around, but I'm not in school anymore, so usually the farthest I carry it is from the car to the coffee shop! (Though I did take it on a trip to Utah this Christmas, and it worked fine. Shoulder was a bit sore after hauling it through the airport, but well worth the effort!)

The 14-incher might be a bit large for some school desks. I used to have a 15-inch TiBook, and that was a bit awkward in grad school.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Can't go wrong either way

I have a 14" ibook and chose it because I wanted a little more real estate. It's all a debatable decision of portability vs. size really. If you're going to be lugging it around then the 12" is probably more practical but the 14" is nice because the screen is bigger. The resolution is the same on the two computers but it's all about how good your sight is and also how often you'll be lugging it around.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey, it is good to see some activity again on this thread :). I am torn between the 12" and 14" right now. Maybe I should just make my way to the Apple store in Indianapolis since I am in town..... it's just the traffic on the north side of the city is sooooo bad :(

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Dell...

You know... I hate that windows is as flaky as it is. At work, my supervisor just got a new Dell Latitude D610 with a 14" display, 1.8GHz Centrino, 60GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive and ATI X300 64MB AGP graphics card. The computer feels very solid and runs really fast. It also has a docking station option as well.. something Apple does not have anymore :( . And get this... it only weighs 4.67lbs (1.23lbs lighter than the iBook 14") and it costs THE SAME!! It is clearly a much faster system for the same money but windows holds me back. Someone please convince me that getting the iBook (even with it weighing over a pound more and with a slower HD) is the way to go!! Thanks :D

I've got a 12-incher and use it all the time. It's got plenty of power and can last pretty long without a recharge. I let my girlfriend play with it and she loves its responsiveness and portability, though I won't let her take it anywhere without me! I'd imagine that a 14-incher is a bit more unwieldy, and I'm very happy with what I have. - j

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
jaromski said:
I believe the 14" display is more pixellated than the 12". Well it isn't the screen but the ATI chip drives both at the same resolution which means the pixels are bigger on the 14" than the 12". This makes things look jagged and nasty. Very Nasty.

I would get the 12" instead. Especially if you are carting it around a lot. Plus you can probably hack it to drive an external display when you are at home and want some more screen real estate.

On on semi-related topic I was considering getting a KVM switch so I could switch between my business PC workstation and my 15" PB. Then I could switch between both environments within a few seconds. And they could both utilize the same 23" ACD.

It would be quite lovely.

-jaromski
That is such a bunch of BS. Please dont listen to that. 1024x768 is used on 15 inch flat screen lcd's to this very day. They look great. The pixels being stretched and making things look nasty is a total croc. Go to the Apple store yourself and look at them and you will see. This irritates me because this kind of false information could possibly steer him away from being really happy with a 14 inch.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
jayscheuerle said:
I've got a 12-incher and use it all the time. It's got plenty of power and can last pretty long without a recharge. I let my girlfriend play with it and she loves its responsiveness and portability, though I won't let her take it anywhere without me! I'd imagine that a 14-incher is a bit more unwieldy, and I'm very happy with what I have. - j

I. Just. Got. This.

man, that's one good post, although I do feel a bit unclean reading it ...

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
I have the 12" iBook 1Ghz model with 512mb RAM and AE (otherwise stock standard).
I chose it because I needed a laptop that was light as possible because I have to carry it to/from and around uni a lot. Yes there are laptops lighter than the iBook, but I had a budget of $AU2000 and I wanted my optical drive and HDD to be internal (which is how some of the ultralight laptops manage to keep down their weight).
So with my budget and wanting something light, I found there is about two choices that I had - an iBook, or a Dell. So I pretty much decided on the iBook right away - better built, i liked the colour much better than black, it runs OSX (while I didn't have problems with viruses on my old laptop, I did have problems with Windows), not only did I get education discount on it but Apple gives 3 year warranty for free to students in Australia (not quite as comprehensive as Applecare but still), plus it came with a lot of useful software included (iLife etc).
I have been extremely happy with it (no major problems, and I'm surviving quite well in an IT degree that wants you to think you MUST use Windows). I'm especially happy coming from my previous 6 years old IBM laptop - it weighed 3KGs, 12 in screen, had CD ONLY drive, a "whopping" 128MB of RAM (64MB soldered, 64MB in spare slot, max it can take is 128MB in spare slot), 6GB (5.5 true/usable gigabytes) HDD, 466MHz Celeron, an "impressive" 4MB graphics card, trying to run Windows XP (a lot of applications I used for uni needed to be run under XP).

Edit: just wanted to say I get about 4 1/2 to 5 hours battery life WITH Airport ON and screen under 1/2 brightness, which extends up to 6 hours if I turn Airport OFF. This is with web browser, several chat programs, mail, iCal, a note taking program (when I'm in a class) running. I've also managed about 3 to 3 1/2 hour battery life when importing and editing a video in iMovie for my brother's assignment.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
CaptainCaveMann said:
That is such a bunch of BS. Please dont listen to that. 1024x768 is used on 15 inch flat screen lcd's to this very day. They look great. The pixels being stretched and making things look nasty is a total croc. Go to the Apple store yourself and look at them and you will see. This irritates me because this kind of false information could possibly steer him away from being really happy with a 14 inch.
Are you kidding me? The 12" and the 14" BOTH have the same native resolution. Okay? Now which one is bigger? the 14 inch one. Now - if they both have the same resolution, and one is bigger..... then guess what. The pixels are bigger. That is fact. Not just hearsay...

kyle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.