Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Yep, I there are lots of them right here.

What exactly are you looking for? They are same card, thus the same speed. Many times the iBook has slightly better reception/range than the PowerBook. Its not too much of a difference though. This is due to the case and antenna, not the card.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Is the AP Extreme on the Pb bad enough so that I'd have to be in the same room as the airport in order to receive wireless reception?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
The simple answer is 'the PB's AP is fine'. It's at least on par with other wireless cards, but I think it is probably better.

The complex answer is 'who knows?' It depends on the size of the room, construction of the walls, interference from other devices (wireless phones, microwaves, etc).

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you're asking if it's worth getting an iBook over a PB for reception, I would say it's not a big enough difference to make a deal. They both KILL pc laptop's with built-in wireless.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
MUCKYFINGERS said:
Is the AP Extreme on the Pb bad enough so that I'd have to be in the same room as the airport in order to receive wireless reception?

My 15" PB has fine wifi reception.
At home, I'm one floor up through standard building materials, about 20 feet in a straight line from the AExpress. Printing via Bonjour is a snap, too.
At work, I am perhaps 50-60 feet away, though one cinderblock wall and several sheetrock walls.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I have no problems with reception on my powerbook, i don't live in a very big house, but it works fine in any room, and outside too :D

Also, i've set it up on the back seat of my car while driving, running KisMAC (wi-fi detector software) and have it find networks on fairly wide roads, even in fairly busy enviroments

Note: Powerbook is on back seat with the screen off just recording all detected networks, without any interaction with me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.