Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smcclenning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Hi,

I have a Ibook dual USB (2001), runnnig jaguar.

the CD rom drive has sort of stopped working, I have a feeling the CD tray is just like misalighned or something. I put in a CD and it spins and spins and makes a loud spinnig sound. Then nothing happens (the CD icon does not pop up) and I have to force eject the CD.

At first this happened 1every 10 times.

Now it happends like 9 out of 10 times. sometimes times the CD will actually work and then it will quit in the middle of working.

Is there any way to test to see if this is a software or hardware problem?

my applecare pl;an ran out 2 months ago. thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

steven

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
smcclenning said:
the CD rom drive has sort of stopped working, I have a feeling the CD tray is just like misalighned or something. I put in a CD and it spins and spins and makes a loud spinnig sound. Then nothing happens (the CD icon does not pop up) and I have to force eject the CD.
steven

Sounds like the laser is misaligned. Usually when that happens the drive is dead. I don't think there is a way to realign the laser. I would recommend using and external CDROM/Burner in the future. It'll be cheaper than paying for the repair.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
How technically inclined are you? If you look on ebay, there are lots of cd drives for sale.

smcclenning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
thanks, I ws afraid of that, I was hoping that there was a way to test it, like some diagnostic or something.

I am pretty technically inclined but I have never done anything like replace a CD drive. Is it the physical act of putting in the new drive that is difficult or the technical aspect of getting the computer to recongnize the new drive?

thanks for the help

Steven

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
smcclenning said:
thanks, I ws afraid of that, I was hoping that there was a way to test it, like some diagnostic or something.

I am pretty technically inclined but I have never done anything like replace a CD drive. Is it the physical act of putting in the new drive that is difficult or the technical aspect of getting the computer to recongnize the new drive?

thanks for the help

Steven

If you aren't technically inclined... Do not attempt to install a CDROM drive on a computer.... Save yourself the potential damage and use an external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.