Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
I think I know the answer to this, but figured I would ask before I tried it and ruined my iBook. Would it be wise to take the FireWire car adapter for my iPod and use it on my iBook so I can use it in the car? Thanks....

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: iBook FireWire car charger

Originally posted by BicyclePunk
I think I know the answer to this, but figured I would ask before I tried it and ruined my iBook. Would it be wise to take the FireWire car adapter for my iPod and use it on my iBook so I can use it in the car? Thanks....

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the iBook (or anything besides the iPod for that matter) is designed to be charged through firewire port. So I'm gonna say the answer is almost assuredly that you should avoid trying this.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Your iBook isn't designed to be powered through the FireWire port. The amount of electricity used by the iPod and iBook is very different. So, no, it would not be smart to try. I think I'll rephrase. You'd be a dumb@$$ if you did so. As far as whether the FireWire port would be fried, I don't think so, since the same amount of power normally comint out through it would be simply reversed. Either way, it is pointless.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
negative

Honestly, that sounds like a horrible idea. First, I'm almost 99.9% sure that you can't charge an iBook through the firewire port. Second, if you did try this it's possible that you could fry something (don't ask me what).

But if you want your iBook to be the guinea pig, GO FOR IT!! Just let us know how things turn out.

But seriously, don't do it dude. Bad idea.

If you really want to charge your computer in the car, get an AC converter. Much safer.

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.