Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
I've got a brand new 12" iBook and it's frozen up about four times in the last couple of weeks. The screen dims slightly and it won't respond. The sleep light is on and pulsating, but it just won't wake up. Has this something to do with the SMS?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
harveypooka said:
I've got a brand new 12" iBook and it's frozen up about four times in the last couple of weeks. The screen dims slightly and it won't respond. The sleep light is on and pulsating, but it just won't wake up. Has this something to do with the SMS?

wht do u mean by is has something to do with SMS? u mean u installed a program that allows u to send and recieve SMS or what? Well, my iBOok 12" freezes almost 2-3 times a week...to me it's normal cos iBooks are pretty lame to me and mine's the lamest of all 256MB of RAM...

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
No, I mean the sudden motion sensor in the new iBooks and Powerbooks. I thought it might be too sensitive. Mine has got 512MB and runs great - apart from the crashing!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
harveypooka said:
No, I mean the sudden motion sensor in the new iBooks and Powerbooks. I thought it might be too sensitive. Mine has got 512MB and runs great - apart from the crashing!

lol...hehe...sry i was thinking too much about SMS...:rolleyes:

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Try resetting the pram, maybe that will help. I dont think the SMS will cause these problems. You can activate the SMS, by holding up the 'book and then let it fall while in your hands. The worst it can do is make you wait until the HD spins up.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
yenko said:
Your computer should not crash; ever. :)
You have a corrupt directory that you need to repair. That would be my guess.;)

What does the directory do and how do I fix it? Reinstall I guess?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Before you get too far ahead, I would try inserting the OS disc and run Disk
Utility to Verify your boot volume and then if necessary, repair it.

Some users are also having major problems after the last 10.4.3 update.
Thankfully 10.4.4 is in the works.

Because the iBooks and PB's have a small notebook drive, I always recommend a clean erase and "Custom" install, deselecting all the extra printer drivers, language translators, demo's, Nanosaur, iDVD themes and GarageBand demo songs. This frees up 4.7 GB+ off your hard drive.

If you've been using your iBook for a while, then obviously
you'll need to back up all your personal data.

If you have an external drive, it makes things much easier.

I read many posts where the user has moved files around to where they don't belong and many more where they did not repair permission after each Application was installed.
This tends to fragment your drive.

Many others confuse the main HD Library and the USER Library either removing or putting files in the wrong location.

If you have a bunch of stuff stored on your desktop, file it, burn it or trash it.

Another common error is when people try to organize their system the same way as they would a Windows based machine.
Application shortcuts belong in your dock while the Application itself
belongs in your Applications folder.

If you have everything where it belongs on your system, you should not be having any trouble.

If you have fragmented your directory, then the solution is to run Disk Warrior from the DW bootable disc or your backup drive.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
harveypooka said:
What does the directory do and how do I fix it? Reinstall I guess?

Try this first:

Boot to "single user mode" ("command-s" at the boot chime)

You'll get a black screen with white text (you want that to happen)

Release the keys you're holding down and type "fsck -f" exactly as you see it within the quotes.

Hit "Return"

If it returns a repair (other than OK) repeat the fsck command until it returns OK.

Type "reboot" and hit "return".
:cool:

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
FFTT said:
Another common error is when people try to organize their system the same way as they would a Windows based machine.
Application shortcuts belong in your dock while the Application itself
belongs in your Applications folder

Never owned a Windows machine so have never done this. I'll try the repair mention in the last post and then consider a clean install....argh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.