Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Sussex
hi,

after a year and 1 month of happy computing with my ibook g3 900mhz today when I booted up, my ibook got to the OSX login screen and just when I was about to click and put my password in, the display went crazy and the mac hanged for the first time EVER!

Since then everytime I start up, i get no start picture and even in firewire target disk mode it hangs and the display garbles (not sure if thats the right word!)

After looking into the logic board repair program notes on the apple website, my ibook is within the serial number range and has the same type of problems.

What does everyone think? What should my course of action be, can I get it done at Computer Warehouse, my local Apple Authorised Centre.

cheers

mike

gafferbee

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
London, UK
sounds like it...

Sounds like what happened to my g3 800. Screen froze, weird lines all over the place, crash to black, hard drive seemed unaffected.

I'm in the UK and an Apple repair centre sorted mine out in under a week - and over Easter too. For free.

Only things is, ever since then the iBook has been, how shall we say, a little erratic - going to sleep at odd times, waking up at odd times, freezing, and generally showing worrying signs of ages. This morning the screen went black and a DOS style screen came up - complete with cursor and tech stuff. Scary.

I take it as a hint to get myself an iMac :)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I'll second what gafferbee said, it sounds like a bum logic board. Give Apple a call.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
Welcome to the club. It's tough to find an iBook that's gone 2 years without any hardware problems.

Take it to the Apple store and let them fix it. You should be covered under the logic board warranty.

PBfixit sells the 900Mhz logic board here. They're not cheap.

sonofapplepm

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Wheatland, Ia
Definitely logic board issue. Had my G3 900mhz fixed under the recall and now works perfectly! Get a hold of Apple, they should have no problem fixing it. Mine took a little while because there was a backorder on the logic board!

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
If you have to get files off the iBook, there is one option that has worked for me both times that the logicboard on my G3 900 has gone on the fritz. Try booting up the machine with it resting on its display with the base sticking straight up in the air. For some reason a number of people (who have posted to this forum, myself included have had success with that. However, don't expect it to work for long like this, it won't, so try doing it as a means to Target Disk mode and get your files if you can.

Sorry you're joining the club of failed G3 logicboard owners. At least my experience with service has been good (both time I had the machine back in less than a week with no data loss, using third party Mac repair shops)

starfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Sussex
g3 ibook 900mhz logic board failure

hi,

thanks everyone for your replies. I took the ibook into Apple Store, Regent Street and they said its a logic board failure and is covered under the replacement problem.

Luckily for me because the repair cost including labour would have been £438!!!

so now its a 10-15 working day wait till I get my ibook back in time to sell it and buy one of the new ones when they are released, or possibly a powerbook, but thats a whole different thread!

cheers everyone!

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.