Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iClique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
right now running jaguar. 800 MHz, 256mb RAM, 30 gig HD.

could i run tiger smoothly or would panther be the best bet?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Bump the RAM to 640MB (add a 512MB DIMM to the single slot) and upgrade the HDD.

You could run Tiger fairly well I think.

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
I ran Tiger just fine on a 600MHz model with 640MB of RAM. Though you wouldn't call it fast compared to a new machine, of course, it did run noticeably faster under Tiger than Jaguar; in fact, it ran well enough that I would still be using it now had the logic board not failed last year.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Wow! Still running Jaguar?! Talk about a blast from the past -- you're lucky ANYTHING runs on software that old. To say the least, it's time to upgrade. Moving up to Tiger is a start, but you might want to consider a new machine, as your computer is SLOW! (No offense.) :)

Your Mac is capable of running Tiger, and it could do it quite well provided you increase the RAM in your machine. You could max it out at 640MB for probably less than $20, which would really speed up your computer. Then go ahead with the Tiger install.

A great website to buy RAM off of is Crucial. If you wanted to upgrade the computer even further, a larger hard drive would be a good idea. Granted, with all these upgrades, you could just put the money towards a new MacBook.

System requirements, provided by Apple:

To use Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, your Macintosh needs:

A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
At least 256 MB of RAM [note that without more than 256MB of RAM, your computer will run much slower]
DVD drive (DVD-ROM), Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) or SuperDrive (DVD-R) for installation
At least 3 GB of free disk space; 4 GB if you install the XCode 2 Developer Tools

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
My advice would be to do the upgrades and go with Tiger. However I would do my best to keep the software as old as possible. Or rather as old as Tiger's Launch date (ish).

By this i mean that I would use iPhoto 2 or 3 Instead of iPhoto '09 (for example).

Your computer should run a clean install of Tiger with no probs. The PERFORMANCE problems will come if you try to install all the latest software.

I would even be selective about what you really need when using OSX Software Update. Keep it all simple and your computer should fly.

Good Luck.

SMC1991

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
My advice would be to do the upgrades and go with Tiger. However I would do my best to keep the software as old as possible. Or rather as old as Tiger's Launch date (ish).

By this i mean that I would use iPhoto 2 or 3 Instead of iPhoto '09 (for example).

Your computer should run a clean install of Tiger with no probs. The PERFORMANCE problems will come if you try to install all the latest software.

I would even be selective about what you really need when using OSX Software Update. Keep it all simple and your computer should fly.

Good Luck.

This. iLife and iWork have become increasingly bloated (for good reason, new features, which work fine on current hardware), but they will slow down the programs for basic use on older hardware.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Diaable dashboard and get a bigger, faster hard drive. Also run delocalizer to strip the Tiger OS of extra and unneeded buik.

IBooks, even the oldest firewire iBooks, run Tiger just fine and should be considered Apple netbooks by their users... they don't have enough video ram to run Youtube well.

Splurge on the 512mb ram chip instead of the 256mb, you will thank me later.

Get the fastest hard drive rpms available. I don't know if the old iBooks had some gigabyte limiter on hard drive space, but I'd personally try dropping a 250gb 5400 rpm PATA Western Digital drive in it.

Remember you can always sell your upgrades and put back your original ram and hard drive. Or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.