Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone Junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Hey guys I found a guy who seems to be a very nice guy that is on his way to my house here in the next few hours. We have come to the conclusion that we are going to do a trade. I am giving him my 1st gen ipod touch 32gb for his ibook g4 and he is expanding the memory to 1g i believe. Do you guys feel this is a fair trade for both sides? Also what should I look for while examining this laptop? He has also reinstalled the OS and added MS Office for me below is the link to the craigs list site he is selling them apparently he bought quite a few of them off of the school system down here in florida at a pretty good price and is now reselling them. Thanks for any advice and input this is my first post on the site!!!

Jon

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/sys/1038319534.html

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
He's getting the better deal, imo. It really depends on the condition of both items.
Make sure he has the OS restore discs and the Office install discs.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
The two items are not comparable really, they do totally different things. It depends what you want to do with the iBook, Im guessing web surfing though. It would probably struggle playing video though

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
i would say that you would be able to get an older powerbook for that amount on ebay, but a trade would be less hassle for you.

also, one of my friends had a 14" ibook 866mhz for 4 years or so and it never gave him any problems. There was never a "recall" for that model.

if you wanted to be "sure" about it, i actually might suggest running a hardware test on it (if he has the original software install discs) to make sure that it is in good shape.

of course, your ipod touch is probably still under warranty, and the ibook G4 is not supported by apple at all (not even for out of warranty repairs)

a website found out that apple would stop providing service for powerbook G4 (end of life) so it is safe to assume that the ibook is also end of life

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/02/04/apple-welcome-to-the-obsolete-list-powerbook-g4/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.