Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukeSlade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hi, I am relatively savvy when it comes to Macs, however I have never owned a PowerPC before now. I bought an iBook G4 from ebay to have a little look at it and possibly do it up a bit. It is one of the later models released:

It is running 10.4.11 Tiger
1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
512 MB Built in (I have a 1GB expansion on order)
MATSHITACD-RW
230GB HDD
READS DVD: Yes

I think that's all the info you may need. Basically the first issue raised when I couldn't install anything on the computer because of a password so I used the code:

Reboot
Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

And made a new account. From there the problems began. When I loaded up safari it said there was a problem with being able to save bookmarks (and subsequently any changes that I made to safari) there was also a problem with Keychain. I searched online and find a few pieces of code which I typed into the terminal, but they didn't have any effect. I also noticed that It wasn't just safari that wasn't saving changes, it was the whole thing. All preferences when I rebooted the system would revert back to default I suppose.

From here I thought it best to cut my losses and redo the whole system. So I acquired a copy of OS X Leopard 10.5.6 (since this still works on PPC). Originally I tried to do it through USB, but you can't on a PPC. So I used a disk (DVD-RW). This was much more promising. It shows up on the desktop and under 'Startup Disk' in System Preferences so I thought great and restarted to that disk. But when it rebooted it simply rebooted as if I had just pressed restart. Now I must stress that I have tried various methods since (and another disk with a different leopard on it) *both of them are single layer* I tried the old hold down 'C' and hold down 'Option' on startup and tried booting in safe mode, nothing seems to work. I think at the moment it might be best if I try and put Tiger on it again, therefore wiping the HDD and starting again. But the ultimate goal would be to put Leopard on it (especially since I am upgrading / have upgraded the hardware).

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong or what I could try?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.