Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikesova

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
I am planning on purchasing an ibook G4 from somebody on craigslist. It was purchased in 2006. I know that ibooks were known for having problems with the logic board, but was that taken care of by mid 2006? Also did they fix the problem with the inverter cable going out from the hinge set up on these? I had previously bought an ibook g3 that the inverter cable was going out for really cheap, i just used it until the cable finally quit working and i'm parting it out. That leads to another question, is the ibook g3 battery and charger compatible with the ibook g4?

thanks for any responses. I appreciate it and can't wait to get into another mac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Logic board failures are not non-existent on iBook G4s, but from what I've seen, are fairly rare. The "problem" predominantly affected G3s. As far as I know, the recall never impacted any G4s.

There was a *battery* recall, and you want to make sure that it's either been taken care of or does not apply.

I don't think I've ever heard of the hinge issue on the iBook G4 either.

I think, as far as the battery and power supply, if you have the white iBook and white charger, yes, but I'm not sure.

(FWIW, my iBook G4 is from Dec 2003.)

mikesova

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
thanks for the reply does this sound like a good deal?

12in screen
Operating System: OS 10.4
Power PC G4
Hard Drive: 30GB
Processor: 800MHz
Memory: 384MB DDR SDRAM
AirPort Extreme: Yes
Internal Modem: Yes

Ports:
2 x USB
Built-In Firewire
Built-In Ethernet
Modem/Phone line
VGA Display port
Built-In Audio/Headphones
Speakers - Internal
Slot Loading Optical Drive - Matshita CD-RW

for 375$ ?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmm... that's not a 2006 iBook. It might have been purchased from the seller then, but its vintage is between October of 2003 and early 2004 (it's the same generation as mine).

I'd say the price is ... so-so for that. Mine has somewhat nicer specs (640MB RAM, 40GB HD, Bluetooth), and I was offered $450 from ifixit.com for it about two months ago. So I guess the $375 is not bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.