Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X-Factor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2004
California
Are there any iBook G4 upgrades??:confused: If there is, does anyone know where to get them??

PS: By "Upgrade" I mean cpu, video card, etc.

Thanks in advance..... :cool:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nope, the only machine that include those upgradeable parts have been PowerMacs for quite awhile.

There are no sockets/slots for those components on the other machines. Which means some of these upgrade require the use soldering iron.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
The only customer installable parts on a iBook are the RAM and the Airport card. You can max out the iBook's RAM with a 1GB SO-DIMM (abt $300 last I looked). G3 iBooks can get the older Airport card, and the G4 iBooks take the Airport Extreme card. Too boring for you?

Well, if you're brave (and patient) enough and willing to do away with whatever remaining warranty you have, you could upgrade the hard drive to either a 80 gig 5400 RPM or a 60 gig 7200 RPM drive. Also if you look hard enough you can find bare Superdrives that will fit either the G3 iBooks (tray-loading) or the G4 iBooks (slot-loading).

Not up to doing this stuff yourself? Check out http://www.powerbook1.com who will upgrade the HD and optical drive for you if you mail the iBook in with plenty of money. :)

That's about it for upgrade options. Customizing. . . well, thats another story alltogether!

Hope I was of help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.