Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
My iBook G4 is out of warranty and the backlight goes out. Sometimes its seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes days. Its really annoying because besides that, the computer works perfectly. Heres where the question comes in. I want to take it apart and see if theres anything i can do to it (is there?) I know its risky, but im willing to do it, so dont tell me anything about the risk involved. I would just like to know if its possible (thinking it might be a loose wire or something?) and if it is possible, does anyone have any tips or point me to a good tutorial on how to do this? Any other suggestions would be great too, i just really want to get this fixed, especially with Leopard 6 days and 6 hours away (and 45 minutes and 30 seconds :D)

8thMan

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Sometimes an old battery will cause the computer to fall asleep even though the charge indicator shows significant charge remaining. Does the screen go black even when plugged in? (I'm sure you've already eliminated this possible cause, but thought I would throw it out anyway...)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Sometimes an old battery will cause the computer to fall asleep even though the charge indicator shows significant charge remaining. Does the screen go black even when plugged in? (I'm sure you've already eliminated this possible cause, but thought I would throw it out anyway...)

It doesnt go to sleep, the backlight just goes out, but you can still see stuff (if you have a flashlight and look at the right angle. Thanks for that possibilty, i didnt know that, but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
That actually sounds like your inverter cable is going out. Luckily that's a pretty simple, fairly inexpensive repair. These guys will do the repair for around $150 or I believe will sell you the parts to do it yourself. I've never used them myself, but they came highly recommended to me by an Apple repair technician.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
That actually sounds like your inverter cable is going out. Luckily that's a pretty simple, fairly inexpensive repair. These guys will do the repair for around $150 or I believe will sell you the parts to do it yourself. I've never used them myself, but they came highly recommended to me by an Apple repair technician.

Ah yes, i do remember looking at inverter cables. Do you know how "easy" this is to do yourself?

kick52

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
England
A cable in my iBook was damaged and would dim the display sometimes. I opened it up (only taking the bottom case off) and stuffed a load of protection for the wire against the hinge. Now it works fine. Masking tape taped together is good, cotton wool is too.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Well you can look at the iFixit guide for your model of iBook. These guides list pretty much anything you need to know for Mac laptop disassembly.

I cant get the metal rings off the back, the ones that the little rubber feet sit on. Anyone have some points for those?

kick52

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
England
Take off the rubber feet, and there is a screw. Then you can get them off. (look at the iFixit guide, it will tell you everything.)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Take off the rubber feet, and there is a screw. Then you can get them off. (look at the iFixit guide, it will tell you everything.)

Wow, sorry i totally missed that step. Thanks.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
A cable in my iBook was damaged and would dim the display sometimes. I opened it up (only taking the bottom case off) and stuffed a load of protection for the wire against the hinge. Now it works fine. Masking tape taped together is good, cotton wool is too.

What cable? That would be helpful seeing as i pretty much have to take the whole computer apart to get to the inverter board area which i dont have the guts to do.

kick52

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
England
What cable? That would be helpful seeing as i pretty much have to take the whole computer apart to get to the inverter board area which i dont have the guts to do.

If it is the cables I had trouble with, they are the ones which are below the hinge in the bottom part.

eg. The ones going into the hinge secured by the yellow tape in this picture: http://www.hardmac.com/articles/Demontimac/IMG_1989.jpg
IIRC, there are ones either side of the hinge.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Looking for the hexagonal(ish) screws on the bottom of the case? you need a Torx T8 screwdriver IIRC. (iFixit has the info on their pages)

No, just the regular screws under the padded feet...:)

I know the size, i just cant find one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.