Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
I've seen a lot of posts in my searches warning not to put generic RAM into Powerbooks, but I was wondering if it was pretty safe in iBook G3s? This is the RAM I was looking at buying:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=64X64NB133-N&cat=RAM

I am buying an iBook G3 900/256mb/40gb from them(I'm low on cash and want my first Mac lol). Will that RAM be ok, or do I need to go for a brand name?

While I'm at it I might as well ask something else too. I know this area is dominated by the Macbooks now, but do you think the 640mb RAM is necessary in the iBook? I only plan to do schoolwork, internet, iTunes(not much music), and some light video work in iMovie, it will be running OS X 10.3. Would it handle it ok at 384. or should I just upgrade now and go all out with the 640? Thanks.

worriedmac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
for generic ram it costs a lot on that site. You could buy branded ram for that price and it would most likely be a better idea as well. You definitly should get all the ram you can into the machine. The G3 is so old now it needs everything it can to just keep up. It's also quite likely that it will still run slow even with the ram maxed.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Thanks. I just thought of a stupid question, but I'm kind of interested if anybody knows the answer. This would be my first taste of any Power PC, so what would you compare the G3 to as far as the Intel processors? Also, what's the big difference between the PC100 and the PC133 RAM?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Frankf300 said:
Thanks. I just thought of a stupid question, but I'm kind of interested if anybody knows the answer. This would be my first taste of any Power PC, so what would you compare the G3 to as far as the Intel processors? Also, what's the big difference between the PC100 and the PC133 RAM?
For your purposes, nothing, because your machine runs at 100 MHz memorybuss speed, so either PC100 or PC133 will both run at PC100 speed.

The iBook G3 is particularly slow these days. It would be worth it spending a bit more and getting an entry level iBook G4 instead. (note that the G4's use much faster DDR PC2100 RAM) Beware that you get a combo drive (DVD reader, CD burner) with the machine, and not a bottom of the line CD-ROM Reader or DVD-ROM reader only.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Bit off on a tangent now, but I have to ask another question. Sorry, I've been posting all over the place trying to make a good choice. I'm looking at the iBook G3 900mhz with 256mb RAM which I will upgrade to 640mb, 40gb HD, Running OS X 10.3. I planned to do some light editing with iMovie, this is my main concern as it will be the most demanding.

Now, currently I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Pentium 4 2.3ghz, 768mb RAM, 60gb HD, Windows XP Home Edition :mad: . I tried to run Adobe Premiere Elements 2 on that, but it was such a piece of crap that it would keep crapping out while editing.

So, my question is, looking at those specs side by side will the iBook be around what my Windows was or even a little faster? Basically even if it's about the same, I just need a Mac because I need a computer that won't crash while I'm typing something as simple as an essay. Thanks again...appreciate it.

Edit: O yea and I'm tight on cash and it seems the G3 is my only option at the moment, but if it's really NOT capable at all than I guess I can figure something out. Damn, just thought of another question. I'm new to all this so bare with me. Will the Airport Card in those laptops pick up my Linksys G router?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Again, don't assume. These units take the original Airport card, and many will have been stripped of the card 'coz the card can sell for $100 by itself.
"Airport Ready" means empty. Airport Card included means comes with the card.

You can't compare processors directly.There's too much else that affects performance, including OS, RAM and the software itself. I'll go out on a limb and say the G3 900 is about like a Celeron 1.8. Certainly not up to a P4 2.3, comparably equipped.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
It lists pre-installed airport card, that would mean that the card is already in the system right?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Frankf300 said:
It lists pre-installed airport card, that would mean that the card is already in the system right?

Yes, as long as they're telling the truth.

But that G3 900 MHz isn't going to come close to the performance of a P4 2.3 GHz...

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Ok, well would you still consider it a capable system? Honestly, editing is going to be once in a blue moon, chances are maybe once a month I'll be editing. All the other times it will be internet and iTunes, managing my iPod. Of course some school work thrown into the mix too :rolleyes: . As long is can handle that occasional editing ever once in a while than I'll be happy.:) My Toshiba was pretty quick, but not realible at all. I would sacrifice a little speed, to actually get a system that will finish off my college career. That is why I'm so head set on a Mac, because I've heard they are so realible and virtually virus free.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I still use a 500 MHz G3 iBook with 384 MB of RAM for internet/e-mail and light word processing. It's not the snappiest of machines, but it gets me by. I just don't want you to be disappointed when you find out that your iBook isn't as fast as your PC.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
NY
It wont be to the extent that opening up a program like iTunes will take forever though, right? I mean of course I like speedier, but I've had to do work on my mother's real POS Compaq 1.2ghz AMD and it wasn't really torture lol. I'd actually say speed wise, my Toshiba was more than I needed, just very unrealible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.